Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1796458 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7410 on: November 07, 2012, 11:37:08 pm »

@Tally: Strange, I have been playing around with tree farming quite a lot, so much that the underground one even became one of my main sources of food, and I have so much wood that I don't even bother getting the scrap one to burn...

I know in older versions, some world generations could cause crashes, but using the "good biomes" for now (still a noob^^), I didn't experience it in the last version (not the alpha one).
If it is not the case, try setting the trees to simplified ones in the launcher, maybe it could solve your problem (no clue, just trying to guess)
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: November 08, 2012, 12:56:03 am »

I wouldn't doubt that some world gens might cause crashes.

Also, an amusing thing happened in my latest fortress. First dwarven caravan comes by, suddenly EVERYONE'S BUSY. I investigate and find a hilarious reason: They're all stealing massive amounts of cloth from the caravan to dumb in the hospital.

I have no clue if this is a problem with the mod, but I somehow doubt it.

EDIT: Found another crash. Crafting vellum sometimes crashes the game. Not entirely sure what the conditions are for it, since it doesn't always crash. However, my game autosaved at just the right moment that it crashes roughly an in-game day after the save all the time, as long as the currently queued vellum job finishes.

I may have to reconsider my original theory that treefarms crashed the game. Time to make a new fort to investigate that again.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:10:14 am by Tally »

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: November 08, 2012, 03:41:09 am »

Also, an amusing thing happened in my latest fortress. First dwarven caravan comes by, suddenly EVERYONE'S BUSY. I investigate and find a hilarious reason: They're all stealing massive amounts of cloth from the caravan to dumb in the hospital.

This is a bug in vanilla DF. 

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: November 08, 2012, 03:48:07 am »

To work around it limit the amount of storage space in your hospital.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: November 08, 2012, 04:39:58 am »

To work around it limit the amount of storage space in your hospital.

As far as I understand, the bug is triggered when you put a coffer or other container in your hospital.  The dwarfs will ignore the limits for medical items that you specify for that hospital zone and keep bringing thread, cloth, etc to that container for as long as any of those items exist on the map, including thread / cloth brought by caravans which you have not yet purchased. 

The solution is to simply not put any coffers / containers in your hospital zone.  Your dwarfs will still be able to use cloth / thread / crutches / splints / casts stored in stockpiles outside of the hospital zone.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: November 08, 2012, 06:12:26 am »

Oh, the crash is just after an auto-save?

I had crashes like that in the past too, never really knew what caused it, but it seems to only happen with some specific world generations, generating a new world usually fixes it, and if not sure, change a little of the parameters used in generation ("e" when choosing the parameter set)

Edit:
@JosephKongKS: you also need to disable auto-loom in that case.
As far as I could see, if you don't put too much coffers, it should be right after they fill them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 06:14:29 am by slay_mithos »
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: November 08, 2012, 07:39:06 am »

Oh, the crash is just after an auto-save?

I had crashes like that in the past too, never really knew what caused it, but it seems to only happen with some specific world generations, generating a new world usually fixes it, and if not sure, change a little of the parameters used in generation ("e" when choosing the parameter set)
The crash I'm speaking of particularly has nothing to do with the auto-save itself, or (to any discernable extent) world generation. Rather, something is bugged about turning leather to vellum, and my game just happened to auto-save while a vellum job was being queued up, so I have a save that will reliably display the crash if I want it to (but is 100% avertable).

SaintWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:16 am »

Found another crash. Crafting vellum sometimes crashes the game. Not entirely sure what the conditions are for it, since it doesn't always crash. However, my game autosaved at just the right moment that it crashes roughly an in-game day after the save all the time, as long as the currently queued vellum job finishes.

I may have to reconsider my original theory that treefarms crashed the game. Time to make a new fort to investigate that again.

I am SO glad you posted this. I was in the exact same situation. I loaded up my autosave, and less than a minute later the game crashes. Same time every load. As soon as I read your post I remembered that I had just ordered a bunch of vellum made, canceled all of them, and it was fine!

Jwguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: November 08, 2012, 11:58:42 am »

This version crashes way too much.

I alt-tabbed out to check a skype message, and upon tabbing back in, it crashed, causing me to lose all of my progress.

It also seems to crash randomly immediately after auto-saves, during some invasions, and sometimes immediately upon embarking.
I love the needlessly sarcastic, sardonic, and cynical masses. Mostly because 10% of them are simply like that, while the other 90% thinks it makes them look cool. Morons~

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19:18 pm »

This version crashes way too much.

I alt-tabbed out to check a skype message, and upon tabbing back in, it crashed, causing me to lose all of my progress.

It also seems to crash randomly immediately after auto-saves, during some invasions, and sometimes immediately upon embarking.

Dwarf Fortress and Skype are both memory hogs; it's possible that Dwarf Fortress is crashing from your RAM getting tied up elsewhere and the game just not having enough to function.

EDIT: And the times you're saying it often crashes at back me up: those are times that Dwarf Fortress starts goes thought RAM like Homer Simpson at the dessert bar.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:21:40 pm by Justyn »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: November 08, 2012, 02:48:11 pm »

On an advanced fort (for a noob like me, means I have running metal crafting, glass crafting, out off magma), I wanted to use renewable to make pots for my alcohol production.

I made them out off clay, not thinking even for a moment that even heated, dirt can not contain liquids.

Having little flux, but a lot of bones from my cow farm, I wanted to use bone meal as glazing, but I can't seem to find where the heck I need to do this.

In fact, I even ordered some to be made via the manager, but it seems I either don't have the building (most likely) or the job enabled (don't think so, but possible).

No having much luck finding the answer, I came here, hopping someone would know.

Thanks.

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: November 08, 2012, 03:52:56 pm »

On an advanced fort (for a noob like me, means I have running metal crafting, glass crafting, out off magma), I wanted to use renewable to make pots for my alcohol production.

I made them out off clay, not thinking even for a moment that even heated, dirt can not contain liquids.

Having little flux, but a lot of bones from my cow farm, I wanted to use bone meal as glazing, but I can't seem to find where the heck I need to do this.

In fact, I even ordered some to be made via the manager, but it seems I either don't have the building (most likely) or the job enabled (don't think so, but possible).

No having much luck finding the answer, I came here, hopping someone would know.

Thanks.

You need ash or cassiterite. So, either burn logs or bones into ash at the wood furnace and crematorium  respectively, or just get some cassiterite ore.

Alternatively, just make the stuff out of glass. You already said you have a glass industry, so it's not all that hard to expand your glassworks much.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:55:08 pm by Justyn »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: November 08, 2012, 05:04:24 pm »

Why would I need ash or cassierite where bonemeal can work?

Oh, maybe you mean that there is actually no way of getting it, even with the reaction being here?

Anyway, I am not wasting any of my non renewable or valuable (ash) for that, so I will stick with green glass and stone ones for now.

Thanks

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: November 08, 2012, 05:42:28 pm »

Why would I need ash or cassierite where bonemeal can work?

Oh, maybe you mean that there is actually no way of getting it, even with the reaction being here?

Anyway, I am not wasting any of my non renewable or valuable (ash) for that, so I will stick with green glass and stone ones for now.

Thanks
Ash. Valuable.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ash is ridiculously easy to get, just burn the bones. Or even burn wood; trees are renewable. And if you have a tree farm and a timber yard, it's about as trivial as brewing.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: November 08, 2012, 06:52:41 pm »

Yeah, but ash is used quite a lot in the expensive glass kinds, and I am trying to get all my bedrooms, dining rooms and meeting rooms out off it, so I need quite a lot for now, plus for soap.
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 749