Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1796478 times)

alonard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #8865 on: January 28, 2013, 11:35:29 pm »

haven't done much research with hives so cant answer all of them but the one about the number of creatures is well known, supposedly toady wants to show it as a living colony with thousands of living creatures in it

also i agree about golems being useless against archers, had a ferric elf siege the other day and my 5 prototype golems were destroyed with hardly any casualties by two archer squads from about 5 squares away

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: January 29, 2013, 12:02:56 am »

Almost all hive stuff isn't moddable. The only thing that can be modded, really, is the products gained from hives.

Ulfsark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: January 29, 2013, 12:55:39 pm »

Hello, I recently installed Masterwork mod after several years on and off of dwarf fortress.

I like it a lot so far. However I feel that harder is farming is almost too hard, or I am doing something terribly wrong. Would there be a way to implement a middle option that makes it harder than vanilla (which is way too easy) but easier than the current hard farming setting?

Also this is probably impossible but would there be a way to change back to vanilla farming from an existing fortress?

Thank you very much for your hard work on this mod, it is a lot of fun.

-Ulfsark

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: January 29, 2013, 01:18:06 pm »

I make my own middle option by replace all

[GROWDUR:2016] (exactly two seasons)
with
[GROWDUR:900] (just less than one season)

With 2016 for above ground plants it's just too punishing, you have only 3 months total over the course of the year for all planting and harvesting activities, probably that is not enough in those critical first years and you lose lots of crops.

With 900 you will probably get in 2 rounds of crops per 3 season growing time, 3 crops is technically possible but you have to have a busy farm crew to make it happen.  My orcs have winter plants so I like to have the duration be a bit less than a season so you still have the possibility of doing crop rotation.

Vanilla is 300, for like, a harvest every month I guess ???

I don't mess with the underground plants because I don't want to worry about making exceptions for the trees and stuff, but
you can replace all
[GROWDUR:4032]
with
[whatever]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:19:58 pm by smakemupagus »

Ulfsark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: January 29, 2013, 02:31:22 pm »

I make my own middle option by replace all

[GROWDUR:2016] (exactly two seasons)
with
[GROWDUR:900] (just less than one season)

With 2016 for above ground plants it's just too punishing, you have only 3 months total over the course of the year for all planting and harvesting activities, probably that is not enough in those critical first years and you lose lots of crops.

With 900 you will probably get in 2 rounds of crops per 3 season growing time, 3 crops is technically possible but you have to have a busy farm crew to make it happen.  My orcs have winter plants so I like to have the duration be a bit less than a season so you still have the possibility of doing crop rotation.

Vanilla is 300, for like, a harvest every month I guess ???

I don't mess with the underground plants because I don't want to worry about making exceptions for the trees and stuff, but
you can replace all
[GROWDUR:4032]
with
[whatever]

Perfect. Thank you very much!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:43 pm »

It's currently snowing rock in my fortress, though it doesn't seem to have any effect except leaving piles of 'rock' everywhere. I'm in Joyous Wilds/Neutral Savage area. o_o

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: January 29, 2013, 04:40:02 pm »

I think Meph knows of this although I don't know what his plans for it are. 

In the meantime delete/disable [INTERACTION:MAGMA_WEATHER] in interaction_weather.txt, or just turn all the "regional weather" effects off in the GUI.  I am pretty sure you still would get normal weather like rain, and dwarf blood rain.  You will just miss the additional stuff like rock snow and beer rain.

Ulfsark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: January 29, 2013, 08:18:56 pm »

smakemupagus to the rescue once more!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: January 29, 2013, 08:44:15 pm »

haha, well, thanks.  This is one of the most friendly/helpful board communities I've been around, so I try to help out in return when I can too :)

Poch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: January 30, 2013, 12:07:35 am »

Hey

For anyone interested in this (i know YOU ARE), and thanks to someone else who posted a generic script called "FlatVolcanicStreamWorld" (i'm too lazy to check who) i finally managed to recreate a nice world for masterwork with a nice embark.

Features are :
  • Very big world (256*256) > not my choice i usually create small ones (in case it hurts FPS during fortress mode, but again i'm too lazy to adapt the params to a small world)
  • Flat volcano and surroundings, or at least no crazy mountains or cliffs
  • A river
  • An underground demonic fortress (never saw one so crowded before)
  • All that in a 3*3 embark
  • Quite classical biomes, climates & surroundings of embark, nothing extreme here

The world gen parameters (don't forget to tweak the things that don't mess with world output, like embark points and so).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Full world generation take quite a long time (like 20min) because there is 15 rejections before the final world is made. It has a very cool name, too : Kuuulottuvuus, aka "The Lunar Dimension".
I also had to use "Large adress aware patch" to make the world gen work without crashing, so i guess you will have to do it too.

Here is the embark location spot :

The game says max cliff elevation on the volcano spot, bus it is barely a hill, and the rest of the map is ultra-flat :

Just for fun, the huge demonic fortress :

Maybe i could post a ZIP on DFFD, but with custom Masterwork parameters i don't know if it is worth it. I changed just a few params (disabled "secret", activated hostile carbon copy races, and removed toilets i think that's all). I don't want to post it if no one can use it ^^

Have fun with it :)

If you are using it, please post report, feedback and show us your progression :D
I'll start a game on it as soon as i will have created a cool embark profile, and a cool objective will be to clean the map of its critters ^^ (FYI, when you reveal all the map, the units screen says 3015 "others". If you shift the 3*3 embark of one tile to the left, so you don't have the fortress on your map, the number drops to 26 units only !)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:17:47 am by Poch »

Asva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: January 30, 2013, 03:21:38 am »

Thinking of the way to balance harder farming. It's possible to add fast growing brewable and eatable plant with some kind of noisome debuff (slowing down or make dwarf barf), which'll provide the motivation to get normal plants as fast as possible.

Mostly related to DFhack, so I'll hide it under spoiler:

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: January 30, 2013, 07:34:02 am »

I think Meph knows of this although I don't know what his plans for it are. 

In the meantime delete/disable [INTERACTION:MAGMA_WEATHER] in interaction_weather.txt, or just turn all the "regional weather" effects off in the GUI.  I am pretty sure you still would get normal weather like rain, and dwarf blood rain.  You will just miss the additional stuff like rock snow and beer rain.

Thanks, seems to be back to normal rain now. :)

...Though the tantrum spiral has begun.

sharix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: January 30, 2013, 08:19:05 am »

so how do I access these options in OS X?

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:45 am »

so how do I access these options in OS X?
You do it the same way you do on Linux.

1. Install Wine.
2. Install the windows version of Mono in Wine.
3. Run Settings.exe with Wine.

If you want the exact commands on how to do that you will have to wait for someone with a Mac to tell you what the are.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: January 30, 2013, 10:17:10 am »

I like the harder farming myself. I am by no means a seasoned DF player, but I appreciate both the challenge that this represents with keeping your dwarves stocked up with food and -especially- booze, and the minimization in micromanaging food processing by there being less food to process.

I also tended to have hunting and fishing be categorically refused because of their dangers, but that forbidding those are no longer as much of an option anymore. Prepare to have more !!FUN!!.
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 749