Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Differences In The New Edition - General  (Read 58823 times)

Darkwood71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Differences In The New Edition - General
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 08:26:02 pm »

Also, anyone have any suggestions for breaking out of a fortress design rut? I always seem to follow the same pattern when I make a fort, and it's starting to annoy me.  ???
That depends. What's your current rut look like?
Finally, I love the tavern. It's too fun to see my dwarfs playing music and dancing. However, do I need to stockpile booze in the tavern for them to drink. I have my food and booze stockpile nearby, but I'm not sure if they're getting drinks.
Try putting the stockpile IN the tavern. Also, coffers for mugs.

Ahh. Thanks for the tip on the taverns. They were having fun without the booze apparently (*GASP*).

My pattern is to build a single horizontal hallway (around 40 blocks wide) with rooms (often 9x9) hanging off them, and then connect each level with a central staircase. It works, but it's hard to expand on later, and it's a bit boring. I haven't quite figured out how to plan for future expansion, and things usually get quite crowded at around 100 dorfs.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 08:35:56 pm »

Also, anyone have any suggestions for breaking out of a fortress design rut? I always seem to follow the same pattern when I make a fort, and it's starting to annoy me.  ???
That depends. What's your current rut look like?
Finally, I love the tavern. It's too fun to see my dwarfs playing music and dancing. However, do I need to stockpile booze in the tavern for them to drink. I have my food and booze stockpile nearby, but I'm not sure if they're getting drinks.
Try putting the stockpile IN the tavern. Also, coffers for mugs.

Ahh. Thanks for the tip on the taverns. They were having fun without the booze apparently (*GASP*).

My pattern is to build a single horizontal hallway (around 40 blocks wide) with rooms (often 9x9) hanging off them, and then connect each level with a central staircase. It works, but it's hard to expand on later, and it's a bit boring. I haven't quite figured out how to plan for future expansion, and things usually get quite crowded at around 100 dorfs.
Here's a thought: set up a big dormitory at first, and then take your time in setting up a big housing complex that has enough bedrooms for everyone. You need look no further than this thread for inspiration.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2015, 11:15:01 pm »

Hmm, now that kids can play with toys, maybe sometime there'll actually be Nursery zones that can be stocked with books and toys that prepare the children for the life ahead of them?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2015, 08:55:45 am »

So about that whole "Can't assign labors to permanent residents" thing, it sounds like it's a chance thing. Going by the D_Init file, there's mention of both permanent employment, and full citizenship. So it sounds like in the beginning of the arrangement, they're there strictly for one purpose. After a while, it sounds like they could get more.

Might be worth doing Science on.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2015, 09:31:53 am »

That's the first I've heard about being unable to assign labors to residents.  Are they nondwarf residents?  From what I recall that has always been broken in that respect, but I would have expected fixing that to be an important part of the new update.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2015, 09:48:07 am »

That's the first I've heard about being unable to assign labors to residents.  Are they nondwarf residents?  From what I recall that has always been broken in that respect, but I would have expected fixing that to be an important part of the new update.

The long term residents I've seen have all became residents specifically for a purpose.  Some have petitioned specifically to be a merenary. Others want to be entertainers only.  It's not a bug, it's a feature. It wouldn't make any sense in real life to hire a mercenary, then force him to be a farmer.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2015, 10:06:08 am »

The long term residents I've seen have all became residents specifically for a purpose.  Some have petitioned specifically to be a merenary. Others want to be entertainers only.  It's not a bug, it's a feature. It wouldn't make any sense in real life to hire a mercenary, then force him to be a farmer.

Yeah, but we also can't assign non-dwarf citizens to be, say, performers for a tavern, even if they joined the fortress as performers. They simply don't appear in the list of available candidates.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 11:07:33 am »

That's what I was thinking about.  It's kind of like the old tigermen that some players had in their forts (bought as animals?).  They would do nonspecific labors and could be the mayor, but the game didn't treat them like dwarves in a few ways, so you couldn't assign them to any kind of position or give them specific labors.

I haven't played the new version at all yet, so it may be completely unrelated.  Maybe if they join the fort as a performer you just don't have to / can't assign them because it's automatic?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 11:35:18 am »

That's what I was thinking about.  It's kind of like the old tigermen that some players had in their forts (bought as animals?).  They would do nonspecific labors and could be the mayor, but the game didn't treat them like dwarves in a few ways, so you couldn't assign them to any kind of position or give them specific labors.

I haven't played the new version at all yet, so it may be completely unrelated.  Maybe if they join the fort as a performer you just don't have to / can't assign them because it's automatic?

The poets I've taken on generally sit around in my surface tavern singing and reciting poems to the other humans who sit around in my surface tavern. So I think they work as intended! No mercs yet though.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 11:43:12 am »

Yeah, it seems like the human immigrants who come around almost always have some specific task written into their citizenship agreement, and they can't be assigned new labors because of it. What I wonder though, is if they can get married and have kids, and if they can what the situation they'll be in. I suspect they'd be naturalized into citizenship with full responsibility, but I've never seen it happen. All I know is that the Human Auxiliary Corps is going to be a thing in all my forts from then on if it does.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 11:56:08 am »

I already have plans for goblin suicide squads and elves on the frontlines to soften up the foes for my glorious dwarves...assuming they can breed and be given all jobs.

I kinda wish Toady would do a small paragraph (or as needed) with the patch notes to explain new mechanics with releases like this that have huge changes
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:58:19 am by dennislp3 »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 12:07:44 pm »

The poets I've taken on generally sit around in my surface tavern singing and reciting poems to the other humans who sit around in my surface tavern. So I think they work as intended! No mercs yet though.
Have they tried writing any new stuff?

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2015, 12:11:20 pm »

I've gotten mercs but they just idle in my library. I haven't tried drafting them into a squad to see if I can give them orders, but I'm assuming I can't.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2015, 12:17:26 pm »

Once they petition you can indeed draft them, I have a military made up of half mercs. I'm LOVING this new version I want to make the best library ever but I only have two books atm :(. edit Oh and to top it off a scholar took one off the map edge with him he fruggen stole my book
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:22:13 pm by Gnoll Fortress »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2015, 12:25:02 pm »

Has anyone made books yet? I'm curious as to how often scholars pump them out, and how big I should set my library up to be.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15