Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846363 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2910 on: December 01, 2015, 04:43:19 pm »

I don't think any kind of cloud based source control will really help Toady.  I mean, I guess it could potentially make deployment a tiny bit faster since he can just run svn's push / publish command, but since DF is closed source that's about all it can do: store the compiled binaries and resources.  It would really just remove the need to FTP the files to the server, since he's still got to put the ZIP file together.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: December 01, 2015, 05:02:46 pm »

Toady said he doesn't want to put DF out into the cloud. I think it's in the recent Software Engineering Daily interview.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: December 01, 2015, 05:14:03 pm »

Quote from: DarthAgnan
So, if immigrants now bring their values with them, does this mean that now you will be able to take say a goblin (or an elf? not sure which) into your fort and make him a butcher so he can butcher dwarf (etc.) corpses since goblins (or elves?) are ok with butchering intelligent beings?

Nope.  The interface for building jobs still uses your base civ.  I'm not sure how it could work -- perhaps you'd have to assign the unusual critter to the workshop profile or something.

Drawing more questions off this statement, would this be indicative of seperated 'hired guest' labour roles mainly constraining them to military service and roles that cannot compel ethical conflict (such as the highlighted elven butchery in the uppermost quote) perhaps illustrated by a modified UI?

Eg: forseeably if animal men receive any improvements following the introductory launch release phase of thier occupancy within your base, would you be able to set them additional labours not typically assigned to workshops? IE: task amphibious races to unrestricted building functions in underwater/lava (with magma safe clothing) settings such as the breaching of aquifers due to [nobreathe], or task legendary climbing ability flying races to scaling inaccessible rough wall verticality in order to build walls/haul/deconstruct?

Very much looking forward to the new release within the next set of hours, certainly the air is wrife with excitement.  :D

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: December 01, 2015, 05:54:18 pm »

I've got plenty of questions on my brain, but only three not related to the new release:

1. When do you plan to have children and spouses inherit noble positions from their dead parents/spouses? While it's convenient that I can get rid of the nobility with a single unfortunate accident, it sucks knowing that all the work you put into making your baron/count/duke some very nice rooms with very nice furniture will be for naught once they croak.

2. On a related note, do you have plans to make the children and spouses of nobles act like nobles? No, I'm not a masochist, why do you ask?

3. I know you said you'll be planning on hunting down bugs for a while, but what new features do you plan to work on next?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: December 02, 2015, 12:47:19 am »

Thank you for the answers, Toady.  Oh, and the new release, too. Awesome!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: December 02, 2015, 02:47:59 am »

Thanks for the answers Toady.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: December 02, 2015, 03:18:08 am »

Thanks Toady!
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: December 02, 2015, 08:36:32 am »

1. Is there any hope that with the upcoming development dealing with prehistory that we will finally see the dark fortress [CHAT_WORTHY] bug fixed allowing us to raw define chat worthy nobles for civs with dark fortress sites?

2. At what point do you intend to switch to 64bit and what kind of new features will this allow you to implement?

3. Now animal people are in the spotlight, are you going to implement something like [LAYER_LINKED] for surface animal people giving them basic weapons and armour. 

4. Also, are you going to add in stone weaponry to equip both surface dwelling animal people and potentially the existing layer-linked ones as well.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: December 02, 2015, 09:24:41 am »

Will adventurers be able to write diaries at some point?
Basically, every recorded event (dingo attacked, killed a deer, wandered around, climbed mountain) you could maybe find in legends mode, written in a paper we carry around, which can be found by other adventurers.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2919 on: December 02, 2015, 11:09:05 am »

I've got plenty of questions on my brain, but only three not related to the new release:

1. When do you plan to have children and spouses inherit noble positions from their dead parents/spouses? While it's convenient that I can get rid of the nobility with a single unfortunate accident, it sucks knowing that all the work you put into making your baron/count/duke some very nice rooms with very nice furniture will be for naught once they croak.

2. On a related note, do you have plans to make the children and spouses of nobles act like nobles? No, I'm not a masochist, why do you ask?

3. I know you said you'll be planning on hunting down bugs for a while, but what new features do you plan to work on next?

Inheritance is already a thing as of version 40.xx, but it depends on the nobel.
Check out world activation on the wiki for more info.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2920 on: December 02, 2015, 11:14:30 am »

2. At what point do you intend to switch to 64bit and what kind of new features will this allow you to implement?

It seems, primarily, 64 bit will permit almost arbitrarily large fortresses and almost arbitrarily large worlds with almost arbitrarily long histories and very large populations. Of course, there are the processing limitations on speed and whatnot, but people will be a lot less likely to hit the memory limits anyway now.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: December 02, 2015, 12:07:10 pm »

Congrats on the yearly update. Been having lots of fun so far with the new discussion interface in adventurer mode.

Toady: One of my biggest dreams as a modder would be the ability to lock the use of certain outfits and entity items to certain genders and positions (No men in dresses, royal guards/champions with unique outfits and weapons, different professions having preference for different outfits like priests). Would this be able to be added easily along with making clothes in various sizes for multi-creature forts?

Anonymax

• Bay Watcher
  • Rated "D" For Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: December 02, 2015, 12:43:11 pm »

It seems, primarily, 64 bit will permit almost arbitrarily large fortresses and almost arbitrarily large worlds with almost arbitrarily long histories and very large populations. Of course, there are the processing limitations on speed and whatnot, but people will be a lot less likely to hit the memory limits anyway now.
if that happens i'll have to buy a 64bit pc just to play DF

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: December 02, 2015, 01:38:38 pm »

Chances are you already posses one. The vast majority of current CPU's are 64bit, in fact from a few years it has been like that. What happens is that the 32 OS used to be/are more popular or commonly found.

Most likely you just need to buy a 64 bits windows or install a 64 bits distro of linux and install more RAM (I recommend at least 8 for 64bit OS).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Pseudopuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: December 02, 2015, 01:53:32 pm »

I've noticed that you can restrict visitors from coming into your taverns, libraries, and temples. Will this ever extend to being able to ban certain races (of both visitors and your fort's own population) from accessing these locations? Like let's say I'm okay with letting human visitors and animal people hang in my taverns but elf visitors aren't allowed anywhere near my beer. Or let's say I want to treat the elves that are already within my population unfairly.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:21:36 pm by Pseudopuppet »
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 306