Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846363 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4035 on: April 15, 2016, 11:53:51 pm »

Ah right, I forgot. I use them also individually for keeping annoying pets safely away from the outside world. Again, all pasture-related. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: April 16, 2016, 09:06:06 pm »

And let's not forget those restricted areas for those very specially selected nobles to conduct their business. It's a shame about some of those unavoidable workplace hazards though.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: April 16, 2016, 09:17:21 pm »

Now that I've further tested out the new taverns, it seems I don't get visitors anymore. Before they would show up the instant I made a tavern zone, this time I've been waiting several years and I still haven't had a single one. And this one's actually a pretty snazzy establishment. What could be causing this?
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: April 16, 2016, 09:23:04 pm »

Now that I've further tested out the new taverns, it seems I don't get visitors anymore. Before they would show up the instant I made a tavern zone, this time I've been waiting several years and I still haven't had a single one. And this one's actually a pretty snazzy establishment. What could be causing this?
You need solid SEO and social media campaigns to get these things off the ground.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: April 16, 2016, 10:00:07 pm »

Ah right, I forgot. I use them also individually for keeping annoying pets safely away from the outside world. Again, all pasture-related. o3o

Actually, "dumping zone" is a good one, as well. Provided it's next to a hole, I use that one for dumps into an atom smasher/magma sea.

I also use 1x1 pit/pond when I want to limit the amount of dwarves that will come running to fill a pond.

Anything larger than 1x1 is unnecessary for sand collection or clay collection.

1x1 fishing zones are also reasonable if you want to micromanage where your dwarf sits when they fish...

Honestly, about half the zones have some reasonable use at 1x1.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: April 17, 2016, 02:24:41 am »

Holy hell, so I can confirm that embarking next to an ocean (any ocean) prevents you from being able to get visitors. Like, at all. This is terrible, how has no one else caught this yet?

I was able to get around it by embarking in an area with 2 land biomes in addition to the ocean. It seems that if more than one border of the minimap shows a column/row of ocean tiles then you can't get visitors. Weird. You can still get migrants and all that jazz.

Behold!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess I'll make a bug report later.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:09:22 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: April 17, 2016, 04:14:10 am »

And a Happy Birthday , Toady !
Hope your brother, cat and illness are going well.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: April 17, 2016, 04:21:19 am »

@Spish:
Are you sure it's ocean related, rather than a coincidence? Neighboring civs seem to have to reach some size (300+?) before they have enough people to wander around the world. I've seen a total of 1 visitor over half a dozen pocket worlds, but all those worlds have goblins flourishing and everyone else just hanging on. Removing a tavern object (i.e. the named thing, not the zone(s) associated with it) screws up any visitors on the map who came to visit it, and might possibly (pure speculation) screw up future visits as well.
Now, if you've embarked several times in the same world from the same initial pristine world generation save and can see a pattern where the ocean embarks consistently fail to get visitors while neighboring non ocean ones do, that would be fairly convincing, especially if the visited neighbors were further away from other civs than the ocean bordering ones. Note that sequential embarks won't do, since it seems civs have a tendency to collapse (due to rampant warfare exploding on embark [well, probably the transition from world generation to active world] as well as unknown factors leaving large number of sites inhabited but unaligned to civs), so civs healthy on your first embark might no longer be healthy on the next one(s).

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: April 17, 2016, 10:48:49 am »

@PatrikLundell - Nope. I embarked by an ocean (no visitors), then I embarked in an open field 10 meters away (visitors). The one thing I've noticed all of my anti-visitor embarks have in common is that they all have one or more land borders represented by ocean tiles on the minimap. Embarking anywhere not next to an ocean leads to visitors right off the bat, all tests are pretty conclusive there. And this is vanilla .42.06 for the record, why don't you see for yourself?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:49:34 am by Spish »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: April 17, 2016, 01:22:23 pm »

I wanted to make sure there was a connection, rather than a coincidence. Since I'm staying away from 0.42.06 due to the masterworks export bug i might try with 0.42.05, but my worlds tend to be rather visitor unfriendly in themselves...

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: April 17, 2016, 02:00:52 pm »

Do you have plans to (someday) add a way for the community to script the game using an embedded language?
I'd personally imagine not.  Typically adding in a scripting language to an existing project becomes a massive pain of refactoring, and for something of the scope and complexity of DF it'd likely be a massive nightmare.

I always thought it was weird how humans had "law-givers" instead of kings or queens - that seems like a name a really primitive race would give their leader - like even more primitive than goblins.
It's a common enough title in human history in our own reality, typically given to leaders who historically clarified and/or unified an existing system of laws in a long lasting manner.  Suleiman I of the Ottoman Empire is probably the best known example for his role in taking existing precedent from the legal decisions of preceding Ottoman sultans (who were rulers in the "his word is law" style) and using them to create a full proper legal code that lasted hundreds of years and still has influences in the existing backbone of civic laws in the regions that were at one time part of the Ottoman Empire.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: April 17, 2016, 05:18:42 pm »

Do you have plans to (someday) add a way for the community to script the game using an embedded language?
I'd personally imagine not.  Typically adding in a scripting language to an existing project becomes a massive pain of refactoring, and for something of the scope and complexity of DF it'd likely be a massive nightmare.

Here's a thing he said in an interview i did a while back for college:

Quote from: Putnam
2. What do you think about the text raws system of content generation and presentation?
2. I guess it's easier to mod, but it should probably be an accepted scripting language instead.  The brackets are weird and cumbersome.

He's also said stuff about the "ghosts of dead programmers demanding a proper scripting language" or something along those lines.

So yeah, it's definitely not a "definitely not" situation.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: April 17, 2016, 05:50:52 pm »

One of the friendlier scripting languages... perhaps C++? :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: April 17, 2016, 05:58:12 pm »

c++ isn't even a scripting language lol, much less a friendly one

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: April 17, 2016, 06:12:33 pm »

c++ isn't even a scripting language lol, much less a friendly one
Just got back, updating:
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 306