Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Returning after a while... few questions.  (Read 512 times)

TheStanman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Returning after a while... few questions.
« on: January 27, 2011, 11:25:00 am »

My fellow dwarfs. After a long number of months, I have returned to Dwarf Fortress. However, I haven't played since the original April 1st release. So my questions to you are thus:

1. What has changed? Do doctors still not work? Do crossbows suck still? What do I need to avoid?

2. Do genning other world params still give you amazing, unique stuff? I saw a gen while lurking a while ago that gave a massive, 100 z level spire. I'd love to get that back if I could.

I thank you for your time.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Returning after a while... few questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:59:16 am »

1. Many things... Hospitals work except for a few bugs (casts are buggy but splints do just fine, crutches don't work).
Crossbows won't kill a siege by themselves unless you have very many, but a squad of 5-10 trained to legendary is a great addition to the melee soldiers. I dunno what you should avoid, maybe the usual cat/dogsplosions and set a pop cap of 100-150 and a restrictive child cap. Oh yeah avoid making soap that is not gonna be put into the hospital as dwarfs can't use it to clean themselves but will still try.
2. There sure is potential for fun/broken embarks, but I can't say much about this.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Returning after a while... few questions.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:16:43 am »

Doctors work, and hospitals are far less buggy. The exceptions have already been mentioned (crutches, soap... sometimes casts. I hear of casts actually getting made. sometimes. use splints.)

Mostly what you need to avoid is puddles of FB poison spreading everywhere. But there's an init option to do that. I don't use it, however, and instead use what I hear is called a "dwarven dip". A pain to set up, though. If you're starting 'new' ish, then turn off contaminant spreading. Well, that and bury all dead dwarven caravan guards, or goblin-leading dwarves. In a coffin. Before their body rots away. At all costs (they create ghosts. which may only be a slight nuisance fort wise, but kill the game FPS wise).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]