Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed extraction  (Read 1246 times)

PiCroft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seed extraction
« on: March 10, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

I found an absolute cracker of a site for my fortress just recently. Unfortunately, I stuffed it up double-quick.

Sadly, I didn't take down the seed and I didn't export the image file when I created it. I don't have the text file which gives the worlds name and the seed either. I can't re-do the fortress site without 'reclaiming' it and it's too much hassle I just want to start from that site clean.

Is there a way to extract the seed used from the save file or something? I have a hex editor so I can do things like change my starting points among other things, and wondered if I coudl locate the seed number used to generate it. I really, really want to find out what seed I used to create this map.

Any ideas?

Stafir Ortnev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seed extraction
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

Start up dwarf fortress.  Pick start playing, pick legends.  Push p (lower case).

Go into the dwarf fortress folder, the base folder where dwarfort.exe is at.  Find world_gen_param-region#.txt

Have fun.

Newbie still learnin the game, don''t mind me.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

You can get the seed from extracting any image from a fortress at all. Press escape and pick "Extract Fortress Image"
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

PiCroft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:50:00 am »

Excellent, thanks!