Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124433 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1230 on: March 06, 2010, 10:32:47 pm »

Cancel spam from an injured permanently unconscious cripple. And I accidentally tamed this spider. Meant to try and tame the titan I had captured but got the names mixed up and tamed the spider instead. Turns out I can't even tame the titan for w/e reason. I thought having a dungeon master made that possible.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
While I refuse to make any certain statements, you can only tame animals which have the tag [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC], and the latter require the DM. If the titan doesn't have either of those tags, no can do. While we're on the subject, [trAINABLE] is the tag used to determine whether something can be turned into a war/hunting animal, and [CHILD:X] is the tag required to breed anything, with X being the number of years to adulthood. Use Dwarf Companion to make one of your animals another titan, get a breeding pair, and breed war titans!

I think for megabeasts, you also have to remove the [Megabeast] tag, which removes some of the poitn.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: March 06, 2010, 11:04:24 pm »

I'm starting to suspect I broke my dwarves' brains somehow... 

I'm finally back up to the "Dragon attack" (resulted in running straight into a cage trap because I removed ramps until creatures had to march in along just a couple predictable paths), and when the dragon hit, I once again hit "only soldiers go outside".

My dwarves pretty much dutifully once again hid themselves from harm.

Except for one character, who is my second-best cook.  She was carrying a bag of rat weed seeds from the earlier tradesplosion.  Her job was listed as "dump item".  This was odd because she was sitting right at the enterance to my fort, doing nothing.  I mean, sitting there watching the dragon walk by as it went and got itself stuck in a trap, doing nothing.  When I let dwarves back outside, she immediately ran outside to just go toss the seeds onto the grass.

What's worse is that this stack of seeds had to have come from inside my fort, and I have NO outside dump sites, meaning she's sitting out in the open waiting for the green light to march out in the open when I have the "outside forbidden" to do something she's not even supposed to do.  I have NO idea what my dwarves are thinking anymore, and I'm really starting to suspect that the large number of random trash items is starting to cause severe AI bugs.

edit:  There were actually several pages of seeds sitting on a single tile in the grass near my enterance.  Apparently, my farmers have been dumping seeds here ALL YEAR without my knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:08:18 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 07, 2010, 01:04:18 am »

Kohaku, your posts about that seige pushed me over the wall of registering just to post this. Reading that has made my night (currently at work for the next 6 hours). You definately have had Fun. Still laughing about it acutally.

P.S. Where's your avatar from? Looks familiar.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 07, 2010, 01:23:19 am »

Kohaku, your posts about that seige pushed me over the wall of registering just to post this. Reading that has made my night (currently at work for the next 6 hours). You definately have had Fun. Still laughing about it acutally.

P.S. Where's your avatar from? Looks familiar.

... It's been an experience.  I actually had fun with the last batch of seigers, just because it was such a shooting gallery, but there has simply been too many random items lying around my fort...

I have constant miasma clouds because my cats killed some random cockroach, and nobody can pick it up because they're all picking up all the other random items my "visitors" have dropped, and a goblin corpse or three is now rotting in the main enterance.

P.S.  It's Kohaku from Tsukihime.  The cheerful and friendly maid who is... well, plotting to kill the main character's whole family.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 07, 2010, 05:00:08 am »

-snip-

edit:  There were actually several pages of seeds sitting on a single tile in the grass near my enterance.  Apparently, my farmers have been dumping seeds here ALL YEAR without my knowledge.
I think your dwarves are actually agents of the elves. Best to purify with magma. If magma not available, use carp. If modding is acceptable, use magmacarp.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: March 07, 2010, 07:26:54 am »

One day I realized that normal maps just aren't interesting enough so I decided to embark on an evil map. The dorfs decided it was a good idea to park the wagon next to a river.
Filled with carp.
And hippos.

Did I forget to mention they were all skeletal and filled with hate?

I've never seen so much blood...
If sad, apply kittens.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:02 am »

I have a river that's 1z level down from the surface, so fishes can't just pull dwarves in from the edge.  I wanted to build a little platform over the surface, but they wont do it - the sturgeon and sea lampreys scare off the masons.  I finally got sick of this and made one of my champions be a marksdwarf for a day to get rid of them.. he just stands there looking at the fish.  When I finally manage to get him to pick up a crossbow (yes, he was holding armor in his hands... and I'd set all the xbows to be melted which took me a while to figure out...) he promptly kills off the lampreys but not the sturgeon.  I have no idea why.  Thinking it might be because he can't aim at them, or they don't look dangerous, I dig a little tunnel down and breach just above the river, so he can stand at the 'shore'.  Sturgeon swim up and rip him to pieces.  I've save scummed about 20 times now and the same thing happens.  He won't fire at them at all, and occasionally he manages to wrestle one to death before being ripped to chunks.  Finally I've resorted to cheating - I'm going to dam the river with magma and drown the b*%^&y b*#%$#@s!

I can't wait for the next version when dwarves can actually be told 'kill this damned animal now!!!!'
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: March 07, 2010, 11:52:17 am »

So a goblin ambush popped up, no biggie. I'll just seal the gates and let them use the siege entrence (also the elf merchant entrence), placed my marksdwarves accordingly, and said only soldiers could be outside.  A couple dwarves were accidentally left outside... the ambush managed to kill 2 fishers and a cook... I didn't figure it was a problem.

Then my entire marksdwarf squad decides its time to go get a drink... and the gobbo's are on their way. All I can do is wait and hope they finish their booze and are still sober enough to aim their damn weapons before the goblins get in. I couldn't seal the seige entrence because the lever was outside. XD

My fort was built to utilize the river canyon in the middle of the map... one of my housing wards was placed on the opposite side (underground) with a bridge between. Since their were no meeting places left and they couldn't go outside... they all tried to rush to their rooms, each dwarf would run up to the bridge... stop realizing they can't go outside... back up... then run at it again and do the same thing.

The gobbo marksmen took pleasure in dwarven stupidity and started firing down at the confused dwarves... I lost about 3 more dwarves. One of them must have been jesus because almost everyone in the fort had extreme bad thoughts after that. A tantrum spiral followed naturally.

I lost about 100 dwarves before summer was over... and despite that I still got some migrants (4).

Reclaiming...........

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: March 07, 2010, 03:08:49 pm »

For the longest time, I have wondered why my dorfs would leave goblin bones outside, where they would be lost, meaning I can't use them. Today I found out why "Dwarves ignore refuse from outside." I don't remember how it got like that, maybe it was default, but that has changed. Now my military and guard will have goblin bone gaunlets, greaves, and helms.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: March 07, 2010, 03:45:13 pm »

For the longest time, I have wondered why my dorfs would leave goblin bones outside, where they would be lost, meaning I can't use them. Today I found out why "Dwarves ignore refuse from outside." I don't remember how it got like that, maybe it was default, but that has changed. Now my military and guard will have goblin bone gaunlets, greaves, and helms.

It is the default.  It's pretty much a "for your own protection" thing.  If groundhogs are getting slain by fire imps starting grass fires, do you really want your dwarves rushing into that to collect the bones?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: March 07, 2010, 03:47:02 pm »

It is the default.  It's pretty much a "for your own protection" thing.  If groundhogs are getting slain by fire imps starting grass fires, do you really want your dwarves rushing into that to collect the bones?

True, but it would have been nice to know about it earlier. And besides, I make it so fire imps can't get out. So many bones have been wasted thanks to this.
To be partly feline,

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: March 07, 2010, 03:56:50 pm »

True, but it would have been nice to know about it earlier. And besides, I make it so fire imps can't get out. So many bones have been wasted thanks to this.

I know what it's like to wish you could use every scrap of resources available to you, but... I know that from my experience I sometimes just forbid those suckers and leave them out there.  My bone stockpiles aren't depleted fast enough for it to be worthwhile, and if you actually run out of places to dump refuse like dead cockroaches or rotting food, you're going to be up to your neck in miasma.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: March 07, 2010, 04:04:41 pm »

Well... due to my bone armor making spree, I guess I've been having like a shortage. And besides, due to my layout, I have tons of room to expand my bone hoard. And the goblins are seiging again. Time to get some more bones!
To be partly feline,

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: March 07, 2010, 04:56:35 pm »

Well... due to my bone armor making spree, I guess I've been having like a shortage. And besides, due to my layout, I have tons of room to expand my bone hoard. And the goblins are seiging again. Time to get some more bones!

Ah... I pretty much just use bones for training bolts, although once I get my unicorn slaughterhouse up and running (I really need to get on that), I'll be more into making arts and crafts.

Still, I have enough metal that I don't worry about bone armor.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: March 07, 2010, 04:59:29 pm »

Ah... I pretty much just use bones for training bolts, although once I get my unicorn slaughterhouse up and running (I really need to get on that), I'll be more into making arts and crafts.

Still, I have enough metal that I don't worry about bone armor.

The bone armor is mainly for effect. I have so much goblin crap that I'm not melting it fast enough!
To be partly feline,

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 729