Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124462 times)

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2445 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:50 am »

I just realized that one of my marksdwarf squads had their training schedule set at "Train (1 minimum)" from back when there was only two of them. No wonder they weren't training for shit.

/facepalm

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2446 on: August 26, 2010, 01:21:45 pm »

Woah you can do that!?  :o

No wonder my dorfs aren't training...

Failpalm  ::)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: August 26, 2010, 01:34:54 pm »

... 7 year old fortress... a military of 36 (2 died recently)... and I still have them on the same training schedule from year one when the total military numbers could be counted on one hand. 

I think we may have a rare and elusive forumwide facepalm.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:37:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BurningLed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: August 26, 2010, 06:36:59 pm »

What's that, you say?  It only takes 1 z-level of wall to completely dam a river?  Those goblins can now wander right ahead into your fortress through those failed irrigation attempts you never bothered to wall off?  That's too bad. On the bright side, those failed irrigation attempts had finally drained out, just before they were used as a break-in point.

R.I.P Datanlibash  :'(.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:45:00 pm by BurningLed »
IIRC, 'overkill' is not a concept that exists in the dwarven psyche.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:14 am »

My worst Facepalm moment was when I discovered

1- The existence of Bins
2- The use of Bins

I've never been more dumbstruct. I stared at my 6-levels warehouses, with all stockpiles cluttered with 1 item/square. All gems. All metal bars. All weapon. EVERY FUCKING INDIVIDUAL BOLTS.

All crafts..

Oh hell, you can do that?

LizardKing cancelled lunchbreak: Facepalming

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: August 27, 2010, 04:43:54 pm »

I've savescummed probably a dozen times now, and regardless of how many times I try, it looks like the losses in my awesome castle in flux hills with metaphormic bedrock next to a brook in a canyon will be steep.  I thought the bridge and wall of floodgates would be ready in time for a goblin ambush, but I guessed wrong.  Once I managed to get all my dwarves back inside, but then one rushed out for no apparent reason, got cut to pieces by goblins, and the rest of the fortress ran out to grab their forbidden socks or something.

edit: ok! managed to save all but two dwarves.  I gave up on my mechanic/woodcutter (one of the original 7) because natural selection demanded it so.  She wouldn't stop running into the goblin ambush with the dwarf diplomat in tow.  Second one went stark raving mad and eventually committed suicide because of rampant pet slaughter and death of the mechanic/woodcutter.  I'd say I got off easy.  But then I facepalmed again when a cave-in nearly killed two miners, and I can't seem to get the doctors to perform properly to save their lives before they die of infection...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:44:33 pm by Euld »

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: August 28, 2010, 04:20:58 am »

... 7 year old fortress... a military of 36 (2 died recently)... and I still have them on the same training schedule from year one when the total military numbers could be counted on one hand. 

I think we may have a rare and elusive forumwide facepalm.
That's not much more... I can count to 31 on one hand! (In binary :P)
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: August 28, 2010, 06:15:32 am »

fail 1: neglecting defense of my east brigde and courtyard because everything so far, meaning goblins, merchants and immigrants, have arrived so they where forced to use the west entrance by the rivers.

fail 2: no advanced warning system on eiter entrance. the area around the east one is usually swarmed with dwarves so they serve as warning, at the cost of an usless dwarf or three. not so much on the east one. got an ambush warning when the first one walked into the traps, which of course is on the fortress side. by the time I got the bridge closed, the goblins where busy slaugthering civilians left and right.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: August 28, 2010, 05:50:12 pm »

It took my until 16 before I realized that was exact, and possible.....

*facepalm*

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:20 pm »

Facepalm.....realizing that after action reporter download for DF is 3 months old...then realizing that there is a forum and a development website for DF and eventually finding out there is a wiki, wow that is one horrible facepalm.(this was some time ago(June 2009))

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: August 28, 2010, 10:22:15 pm »

Sent a miner to dig out a frozen river, next to a pocket of unfrozen water - which immediately spread from said pocket to the miner's feet, before freezing solid and turning him into a tasty ice-based dorf snack.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: August 29, 2010, 02:49:05 am »

It took my until 16 before I realized that was exact, and possible.....

*facepalm*

There's 10 types of people in the world...  :P

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: August 29, 2010, 10:38:33 am »

I decided to mix things up a bit and built an incinerator instead of an atom smasher.  Just a hollow shaft up to dump things in.  It had a graphite block road on the bottom, connected by a granite door, and a ramp leading up to dump things in.  I added a little bit of magma with DFhack to start the fire.  The idea was to dump everything in there, when the fire burned out I could go in and salvage anything that didn't burn, mostly metal that could be melted down.

The problem?  Fire safe does not mean fire proof.  I didn't realize that fire, unlike magma, will heat up adjacent tiles.  Or that fire burns hot enough to melt some types of stone, like the granite door I used.  Also, I didn't realize that when going though the stocks screen, I had unforbidden some of the items dumped.  Sure enough, some dwarf came by to pick something up, walking right into the fire.  He got about 10 tiles away before he started bleeding from his melted-off fat, and bleed out after another 10 tiles.

P.S.   Granite melts at 11440 degrees, and according to DFhack, fire is 11612 degrees.  It also melted (and came close to boiling) some zinc cages I had thrown in.   As for the creatures inside those cages...  well, they were no worse off then the creatures from the wooden cages.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: August 29, 2010, 01:58:18 pm »

I decided to mix things up a bit and built an incinerator instead of an atom smasher.  Just a hollow shaft up to dump things in.  It had a graphite block road on the bottom, connected by a granite door, and a ramp leading up to dump things in.  I added a little bit of magma with DFhack to start the fire.  The idea was to dump everything in there, when the fire burned out I could go in and salvage anything that didn't burn, mostly metal that could be melted down.

The problem?  Fire safe does not mean fire proof.  I didn't realize that fire, unlike magma, will heat up adjacent tiles.  Or that fire burns hot enough to melt some types of stone, like the granite door I used.  Also, I didn't realize that when going though the stocks screen, I had unforbidden some of the items dumped.  Sure enough, some dwarf came by to pick something up, walking right into the fire.  He got about 10 tiles away before he started bleeding from his melted-off fat, and bleed out after another 10 tiles.

P.S.   Granite melts at 11440 degrees, and according to DFhack, fire is 11612 degrees.  It also melted (and came close to boiling) some zinc cages I had thrown in.   As for the creatures inside those cages...  well, they were no worse off then the creatures from the wooden cages.

At least he didn't get thirsty.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: August 29, 2010, 02:32:52 pm »

Well, I thought I could get an easy well by channeling into a tile I knew was aquifer. I forgot that if the aquifer is on the same level as the channel designation, it will still flow out instead of just into the channel. First facepalm.

Then, I tried to stop it with magma from the nearby volcano to salvage my mines. I now have a central staircase that is flooded with either water, magma, or is blocked with obsidian. Second facepalm.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 729