Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124426 times)

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2985 on: November 06, 2010, 06:05:47 pm »

<Stuff i said>

It wasn't the fire.
It was the GIANT SHOCKWAVE OF THE THERMONUCLEAR CATSPLOSION!! It crushed them against the ground and trees and their equipment and even themselves!
Every instance of a thermonuclear catsplosion is awesome by default. Regardless of the results. No, especially because of the results.

Yes it was both awesome and facepalm. Melted !!cats!! and ashes and !!fire!! and !!dwarves!! everywhere.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: November 06, 2010, 06:09:08 pm »

<Stuff i said>

It wasn't the fire.
It was the GIANT SHOCKWAVE OF THE THERMONUCLEAR CATSPLOSION!! It crushed them against the ground and trees and their equipment and even themselves!
Every instance of a thermonuclear catsplosion is awesome by default. Regardless of the results. No, especially because of the results.

Yes it was both awesome and facepalm. Melted !!cats!! and ashes and !!fire!! and !!dwarves!! everywhere.

Glorious, isn't it? One of the finest forms of glorification of Armok there is.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: November 06, 2010, 06:27:04 pm »

Yes. So glorious. Only the reclaim of that ideal embark zone was slightly inconvenient.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: November 06, 2010, 06:29:21 pm »

Yes. So glorious. Only the reclaim of that ideal embark zone was slightly inconvenient.

Radiaoctive !!xstray cat pancreasx!!?
Or just fire everywhere, including the brew-filled wagon you brought along?
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: November 06, 2010, 06:56:57 pm »

The latter. So everything non-flammable that i brought along was useless. I reclaimed without reloading the game so the new cats also melted. But this time there was nothing to ignite by way of molten cat. So i'm just catless now.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: November 07, 2010, 12:02:23 pm »

A word of advice? Farmplot designations put out fires.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: November 07, 2010, 08:26:42 pm »

*W00T! 200 Pages!*

This is actually on old one, back from just after the switch over from 40d:

I had started up an adventurer and gotten to ok level stats.  I walked into town and asked for a quest.  I was told to seek out and kill a demon in the same town I already was in!  So I did some recon, and it turned out the warlord had asked me to dispose of his lawgiver.  So I snuck around until after nightfall, when I walked into it's hovel (not quite the grim palace I had expected) and tried to kill it.  All of my weapons glanced off without leaving a scratch, and I ended up throttling it.  Then, my companions turned on me.  I fled town and tried to come back later to talk with the warlord who hired me to sort it all out,  but he turned on me too.  I guess he was making himself the hero there...  I went to the dwarves and got a couple of them to folow me, but when I returned to extract vengance on the warlord they would not help me.  They just stood around and (presumably) laughed as the entire town beat me to death in the meeting hall.

On the up side, I think I took the warlord down with me; I forget though. :P

EDIT: Whoever gets post reply #3000 better aknowlege the fact.  No double-posting to get it though. >:(
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:29:09 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: November 07, 2010, 09:00:30 pm »

Just noticed one of my swordsmen got his title..... The Carnal Lighting.  He then ran out and got cut into about 10 pieces by an all female goblin ambush squad.
edit* Just facepalmed again, zoomed out to look at a full map view of my current fort and due to my stockpile placements, walls, floors, and the dead and blood everywhere my entire above ground fort looks like a giant head puking dead people and blood.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:07:40 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: November 07, 2010, 10:45:15 pm »

Y'know, some people strive for that kind of architectural wonderment.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: November 07, 2010, 11:45:47 pm »

I just had to abandon a young fort because NINE of its twenty-five inhabitants were THROWN INTO THE MOAT by A RACCOON. and a tenth was beheaded by the same raccoon. One of them was my axedwarf. The rest are tantrum spiraling into oblivion.

-headdesk-

P.S. The raccoon has a name now, it got named by my people. I'll look for it in legends.

EDIT:

End result was the death of 15 dwarves. 1 by beheading, and 14 to drowning in the moat. All that drowned were pushed in by that damned raccoon and his army of deer. One of them was a child that was held in place in the water by his leg.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:01:09 am by S31-Syntax »
Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: November 07, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »

I didn't realize that you couldn't remove slopes on the edges of maps, I only learned this when a goblin ambush appeared over my entrance.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: November 08, 2010, 05:32:32 am »

I just had to abandon a young fort because NINE of its twenty-five inhabitants were THROWN INTO THE MOAT by A RACCOON. and a tenth was beheaded by the same raccoon. One of them was my axedwarf. The rest are tantrum spiraling into oblivion.

-headdesk-

P.S. The raccoon has a name now, it got named by my people. I'll look for it in legends.

EDIT:

End result was the death of 15 dwarves. 1 by beheading, and 14 to drowning in the moat. All that drowned were pushed in by that damned raccoon and his army of deer. One of them was a child that was held in place in the water by his leg.

He probably came from Narnia.

I didn't realize that you couldn't remove slopes on the edges of maps, I only learned this when a goblin ambush appeared over my entrance.

I was lucky enough to notice that the last bit didn't get removed. I walled the edge in question off, only for the mason to trap himself on a 1x1 cliff behind the wall, right before an ambush.

My most recent facepalm is not realising that upward ramps can be dug from above, despite having done that before, and losing two dwarf years because of that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: November 08, 2010, 05:49:12 am »

Having a prisoner, chained up securely, go beserk, and thinking that'd make some good practice for my marksdwarves, who I'm not very good at commanding.
So I station them across the room from him, designate them all with crossbows and bolts, and they wander in, run up to him and start thwacking him with their crossbows. *facepalm*
And then he kills one, and badly injures two others (guts popped out, fractured lung... He slightly wounded another too, I think) before one of my heroic dwarves gets there and beheads him in a single stroke. *double facepalm*
Damnit dwarves!! Going beserk and killing everyone is only okay if YOU'RE one of my favourite dwarves!! D:<
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: November 08, 2010, 05:59:31 am »

Having a prisoner, chained up securely, go beserk, and thinking that'd make some good practice for my marksdwarves, who I'm not very good at commanding.
So I station them across the room from him, designate them all with crossbows and bolts, and they wander in, run up to him and start thwacking him with their crossbows. *facepalm*
And then he kills one, and badly injures two others (guts popped out, fractured lung... He slightly wounded another too, I think) before one of my heroic dwarves gets there and beheads him in a single stroke. *double facepalm*
Damnit dwarves!! Going beserk and killing everyone is only okay if YOU'RE one of my favourite dwarves!! D:<

Also... chaining fearsome beasts in front of the fortress entrance, only for the next ambush to be composed of archers... *sigh*

HA! 3000.

S31-Syntax

• Bay Watcher
  • Favorite Rock: Obsidian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: November 08, 2010, 07:01:17 am »

Obsidian! the only rock that can be MADE by dwarfs!

...also it appears to have resulted in the dead crundle on top of my trade depot exploding, causing it do deconstruct.  Huh.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 729