Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124462 times)

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3255 on: December 07, 2010, 09:28:03 pm »

Embarked in The Hills of Tightness. . .

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: December 07, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »

I was looking over my starting seven. Usually I just make sure there are two I can immediately put into military training, but I decided to go for the gold and check out mental attributes too. A bit of checking later, I realized that the one with the best attributes to be a doctor is also has the highest physical attributes. $#@%$#. Then I realized that while I normally split the medical tasks up and embark with skilled doctors (I don't use danger rooms or huge amounts of traps) this guy has the best stats for everything but wound dressing. $##^.

Next I realize that the expedition leader candidate also has the next highest physical stats. $#%#%^.

It's great to have high quality dwarves, but does all the talent have to be put into a isngle dwarf?  ><

EDIT: Apparently we're from "The Flesh Hallways" and our group name is "The Ring of Rawness"
EDIT2:  $#%#%.  Embarked, checked adamantite tiles. Didn't believe the result. Ran reveal. 7 Z-levels, one vein, 200 or so tiles. /cry /cry /cry  The site is basically perfect otherwise.  Volcano, forest, sand, flux, access to other civs. Robbed! So robbed!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:04:41 pm by tsen »
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: December 07, 2010, 10:09:38 pm »

Finding out how easy metalsmithing is with magma
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: December 07, 2010, 11:54:52 pm »

everything is easy with magma...unless you screw up.

then it's funny.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: December 08, 2010, 07:32:28 am »

everything is easy with magma...unless you screw up.

then it's hilarious.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: December 08, 2010, 09:02:35 am »

I had it all planned out. I'm building an agricultural-economy fort, so at the top is a gianormous stockpile for prepared meals, the level below that is the kitchens, the level below that is dry-goods storage, and the level below that is the farms and seed stockpile. Very nice, very neat, very efficient.

I knew going in that I might someday want more stockpiles, or a minimal metal industry or whatever. So I said to myself, "I'll just extend the fortress downwards when the time comes, and I promptly forgot all about it.

Now the time has come to expand downwards, and … what's that I see? My main high-pressure water pipe runs through the next Z-level down, right through where my stairwell would go?

Facepalm.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: December 08, 2010, 04:01:56 pm »

I was getting bored of my outdoor village fort, so i decided to build an excessively massive glass dome ceiling to stop buzzards from doing their occasional shenanigance. I decided to do it by creating up/down stairs on the inside so that my dwarves could build the glass, bla bla bla, it comes time to destroy the stairs. I was afraid that some of my dwarves would be dumb enough to destroy the stairs they're standing on... THEY DIDN'T!!!! instead i forgot that destroying stairs creates a stone, which falls down onto the village i was trying to protect... IT was LITERALLY raining BRICKS!, thankfully only cats were injured in this :D

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: December 08, 2010, 04:37:15 pm »

Wait, but I thought falling items couldn't hurt things?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: December 08, 2010, 06:44:07 pm »

Never had things injured by falling things.  Either that's new, or, those kittens were mutilated by other means.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Supersquee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: December 08, 2010, 07:15:18 pm »

I just got my first forgotten beast, Oxut a giant three eyed Aphid with a cracked red exoskeleton and deadly spittle. It was pretty much one shotted by a mushroom blowdart from an Olmman. Anti climax no?
The problem with finding badassery in DF, is that the standard is so damn high.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: December 08, 2010, 07:31:42 pm »

Putting the levers for my waterlock which feeds my vertical water drop into my hospital well next to one another. Thanks to not carefully puling the right one, my off duty soldiers now have a room to fish in...
This is a blank sig.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: December 08, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »

Putting the levers for my waterlock which feeds my vertical water drop into my hospital well next to one another. Thanks to not carefully puling the right one, my off duty soldiers now have a room to fish in...

"Why do I even have that lever?"
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: December 08, 2010, 08:33:31 pm »

Well, i started a new fortress and come upon a group of elephants. When i looked, i saw they were undead elephants. Commence utter pwnage.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: December 08, 2010, 09:15:01 pm »

Suffice to say, I now know why it's important to locate frozen pools and set them to restricted traffic.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: December 08, 2010, 10:19:36 pm »

My mayor was a siege operator. I just had a liaison explode. WHY do they insist on standing directly in front of the ballista?
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 729