Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124462 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3450 on: December 23, 2010, 01:33:29 pm »

Recently, I breached a cavern. I decided to breach an underground lake I had found.
The "muddy stone" was actually by and aquifer. And it was above my bedrooms. Thank Armok that the doors were closed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: December 23, 2010, 02:04:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New fortress; I managed to get another miner encased in ice. :( This time I don't know which room was his. And this time it wasn't due to an aquifer, but because I wanted to make a channel a bit deeper and wider. Not sure how he managed to get in the water before it froze, but he died anyway.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: December 23, 2010, 02:37:31 pm »

Hoping my traps will hold off the goblin ambush after they slaughtered my military, only to realize that I forgot to link the pressure plates to my spikes.
I just caved in my forehead.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: December 23, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »

Right.
Spawn.
Send dwarves on orders.
Fisherman walks to nearby riverbank to catch some fish.
'An alligator has attacked!'
I press the look button, and look at the area.
'The hand of  something-somethingson'
'Alligator'
'Pool of blood'
'Pool of blood'
'Pool of blood'

Just how much blood do dwarves have?
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: December 23, 2010, 04:51:15 pm »

just noticed my Milita commander is 'Leading Biting Demonstration' to the new axedwarfs   ::)
just what they need to stay alive
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: December 23, 2010, 05:27:08 pm »

just noticed my Milita commander is 'Leading Biting Demonstration' to the new axedwarfs   ::)
just what they need to stay alive
Hey, don't underestimate biting! From experience, once a dwarf manages to keep their grip on something and shake a limb, it will almost certainly sever arteries or nerves, and the smaller parts, like toes or ears, are very likely to get torn off and contribute to the blood loss!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: December 23, 2010, 06:15:44 pm »

But from a training standpoint, you've got a bunch of dwarves standing around... biting things. .-.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: December 23, 2010, 06:28:46 pm »

I can just imagine the demonstration...
"And remember troops, you must turn your head 45 degrees to the right when trying to bite an arm, and you must bite with your front teeth first, and shake left and right to tear off smaller parts.."

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: December 23, 2010, 06:38:07 pm »

... well, yeah.

On topic: why the frig is the human diplomat in the water reservoir of the hospital well? There was a ramp leading to it that I neglected to get rid of, but... why the hell is she taking a bath in 6/7 deep water? It's not even clean! It's stagnant! And now she's stagnating there, too! And I need that well to drown all the paraplegic patients once the normal ones are done healing! I can't have a human corpse in that one well!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: December 23, 2010, 06:39:43 pm »

Is the human diplomat actually human?

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: December 23, 2010, 06:42:08 pm »

Is the human diplomat actually human?
Last time I checked, yes. I have a law-giver in my well, and her name's not Sadako, nor is she dead. Yet.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: December 23, 2010, 07:32:41 pm »

Going into a desert with the sole purpose of acquiring giant scorpions and forgetting to set up cage traps.
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: December 23, 2010, 11:07:31 pm »

Okay, so I have the complete opposite of a facepalm moment here...
So this crazy minotaur guy spawns and runs right into my fortress. I send all my dwarves deeper underground to a room surrounded with traps, except one of my original embark miners ( Legendary ) doesn't quite make it in. He gets gored by the minotaur and thrown on the ground. The minotaur proceeds to punch the hell out of his arms and legs...
Then out of no where, the miner strikes the minotaur in the head, killing it! Such a beast!
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3463 on: December 24, 2010, 02:09:08 am »

One about modding: trying to mod in a new creature, but forgot to insert a 0 in the token used to set creature temperature.

Result: a creature at 1070 U° (instead of 10070), instantly freezing and dieing on spawn. for comparison, absolute zero is 9508 U°

/EPIC facepalm

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: December 24, 2010, 06:54:15 am »

Right, I had a nice system with multiple lakes connected to each other, filling my moat. And the moat had a small hallway somewhat beneath it from which I welled. Now the water's risen so much that the wells flooded and now there's water in my hallway, and for some reason my broker/herbalist forgot where the wells used to be and fell into it and drowned.  :-[

So, pussy that I am, I am starting a new one. I like starting anew.  :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 729