Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2127147 times)

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5550 on: January 05, 2012, 06:19:11 pm »

I started a small fortress, jungle embark, peaceful elephants, no badgers coal, iron ,and flux.... Get the main entraance dug out, then the stockpile and farms. Have my wall designated to be built then, Zombie giant badger...and another... and another, then "An ambush, Curse them"..... twenty dead dwarves, 10 marksgoblins, and at least a dozen giant zombie badgers later, i have only one dwarf, my militia commander, and five dogs left. Then the militia commander passes out as he walks over a river and drowns.... I was dissapointed.

One other time, my fortress had at least 120 people, 12 soldiers, formally 30 but most had been killed in the last siege, including my legendary speardwarf with 41 kills. "A vile force of darkness has arrived." Okay, i lock down the fortress, send out a few of my  remaining soldiers to slow the goblins. Uknown to me , there's an elite marksgobbo walking around. He begins shooting over my walls. My refuse pile is inside my walls but, as my dorfs try to drop off their stuff , i get 120 messages of: Urist Mcgarbageman cancels store item in stockpile: Interrupted by goblin lasher,pikeman,axeman,archer. Cue my entire fortress walking around on the very top of my fortress and getting NOTHING done.... Eventually i gave up getting the dorfs down and opened the gate with one of my military dwarves who was busy training.
Very cathartic.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: January 05, 2012, 06:39:40 pm »

i put my "brige up leaver" to close to the enterance so now my fort is flooding with goblins because my dorfs are sissys and can't pull a leaver that is too close to the goblins >:(
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:03 pm »

2 words: lava pressure...

2 more words: FACE PALM
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: January 05, 2012, 11:08:24 pm »

One of these days I am going to build a fortress with tunnels crisscrossing the map for a lava cannon.  It will have pin-point accuracy.  Like putting a scope on a shotgun.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: January 06, 2012, 04:32:37 am »

One of these days I am going to build a fortress with tunnels crisscrossing the map for a lava cannon.  It will have pin-point accuracy.  Like putting a scope on a shotgun.

Build six.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: January 06, 2012, 07:31:35 am »

Crimsonhold has really become crimson thanks to a single forgotten beast (beware its fire!)

All was well for the Ashen Crux of the Kingdom of Ash. The militia was forming, the first wave of stupid mongrel Beak Wolves was held off by the moat and gate, and weapons and shields were almost (key word ALMOST) ready to be forged.

"The forgotten beast Urast Shurldrast has risen! A giant skinless alligator, it undulates rhythmically. Beware its fire!"

'No problem, i have a wall, right? Oh god, my door! That thing'll break it down!' Thankfully, as this particular fort is abour 50% aboveground, I have several dwarves on mason duty, and they manage to seal up the door before it can arrive.

'I'm safe now, right?'

"Urist McScaredyCat cancelled Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by forgotten beast"

Multiply that by a hundred, and that's what flashes through my fort every minute or so. See, I forgot to fill in the walls ABOVE the main one, so dwarves climbing down my stairwell to the magma forges can't actually pass because they have line of sight on it. I have ten dwarves in full iron, why not just kill it?

Magma forges are my only forges. I have no spare anvils. My militia has armor, but no shields or weapons. Shields wouldn't be an issue, but the part with the GIANT BURSTS OF FLAME make going out without one more suicide than pitting a year 2 militia that's been established for a grand total of five weeks (in game) against a FB already is.

I gave them all the equipment I could, drafted my miners, and sent them out and began to remove the wall.

"Urist McRandom cancels Remove Construction: Interrupted by Forgotten Beast!"

Crap. Well, I suppose I may as well just dig a way around. But then, out of abso-freaking-lutely nowhere, the single child in the fort runs up to the wall and takes it out (another reason to hate the little buggers). He's immediately killed by fire, followed by the returning militia, followed by the rest of my fort.

I savescummed, I'll admit. The Fort was just too good to lose. It was the first one in around twenty-five to have iron, first of all, and it also had:

-Copper for shields
-Nickel for crafts
-Plenty of gems
-A legendary bone carver for bolts
-Did I mention the stupidly scarce iron that showed up in abundance here?
-Oh yeah, and a metric beard-ton of native gold for more expensive crafts
-Abundant candy
-The most perfectly-defendable spot for the actual fort
-A booming metal industry
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: January 06, 2012, 11:30:25 am »

I will never try to tame the wild crocs outside my fortress ever again, mostly because they are each bloated and fat from 20+ dwarven kills. Guess what happens whan you tame them?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: January 06, 2012, 04:45:31 pm »

I will never try to tame the wild crocs outside my fortress ever again, mostly because they are each bloated and fat from 20+ dwarven kills. Guess what happens whan you tame them?
They decide they want special food and cuddles from everyone?

My current fort has been one facepalm moment after another.

Hey! An island! I'll embark there and learn fortress management without goblins to worry about!
We're by the sea!....wait, no, we're IN the sea. Can people please try and get stuff out of the wagon before it floo-...oh, nevermind.
ARRRRRRGH BADGER BADGER BADGER GET THE WALLS UP GET THE WALLS UP!
Hey! Rubies!.....oh wait, they're at the bottom of the sea. Nevermind, keep digging. I hope you all like nothing but plump helmet!
Woo! First metal ore!......wait, it's frikken ZINC. Ah well, I'm sure I'll find more metal soon enough.
Woo! Second metal ore...it's MORE zinc!
More zinc.....more zinc.....some more rubies I can't mine without flooding the entire fort......zinc.....zinc.....zinc......zinc.

....zinc......zinc....damp stone.....damp stone......damp stone......zinc.......zinc....ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!

And there the fort stands, with no real metals industry because there's nothing but Zinc, ANYWHERE. Unless DF2012 adds support for galvanised items, I am NEVER going to use it all....and even then, I have no iron/steel. Or....well....anything. At this rate I'm going to be mining candy before finding anything other than more frabjuous zinc.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:05 pm »

well i sent my recycle bin to the recycle bin...
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: January 07, 2012, 02:58:38 am »

....zinc......zinc....damp stone.....damp stone......damp stone......zinc.......zinc....ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!
Did you actually check the embark site for what you'll find?
(It probably said "Shallow Metal. Deep Metal.") meaning you'll find one type of metal in the shallow layers, and one type deeper down, and the two shall never mix, nor shall others join. I've had forts with literally nothing but copper, and another with only lead. (good times, that last one.)

On that note, pretty much deciding to load up DF and continue playing is usually a facepalm for me. At some point, something happens, or doesn't happen. And then doom.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: January 07, 2012, 08:11:33 am »

D'oh! I channeled out a section of aquifer along a canyon wall to make a Doomfall trap for invaders, and forgot to set it restricted while installing the retaining wall to keep the invaders from just sauntering on in. There went two masons and a miner... Fortunately, my other miner got over the unhappy thoughts involved and is doing just fine. shame the other pick is at the bottom of a 17 z-level drop in a river full of hippos...
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: January 08, 2012, 07:26:30 am »

and another with only lead. (good times, that last one.)

hmm... should have built a large, football shaped room in the sky out of lead... for some reason...

boltyhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: January 09, 2012, 01:00:11 am »

My biggest facepalm moment so far

My dwarves started accidentally killing each other in training so i traded their adamantine weapons for training weapons not long after that a Vile Force of Darkness arrived so i sent my brave dwarves out to battle... just after they started fighting i realised something....... i never changed their weapons back  :'( there were braves dwarves dead everywhere

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: January 09, 2012, 04:10:16 am »

....zinc......zinc....damp stone.....damp stone......damp stone......zinc.......zinc....damp zinc...wait, whut?
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

BombStrike

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: January 09, 2012, 04:16:50 am »

Today I started a brand new fortress to test a new layout I thinked off. As I was working on the metal industry floor, I noticed the following message:
Urist Mc4YearOld has suffocated
I started wondering how as no announcement or reports was speaking of him being attacked or hurt.
After searching for a while I discovered several over dwarfs unconscious or hurt, and following a trail of blood from one of them I found what had transpired:
    My cart was not far from a 2z level high cliff I dug to make the entrance to my fortress, as more and more immigrant arrived the default meeting area got cluttered and some people started pushing others, causing some to fall off the cliff... *facepalm*

Needless to say, I changed the meeting area and started working on the hospital sooner than I thinked I'd have to ::)
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 729