Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124505 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6510 on: June 26, 2012, 01:19:00 am »

So many face palms with this fort, but much epicness. After I deal with all these ghosts I shall get to work on finishing the epic vision I had for the mountain. Hopefully this one won't will spiral out of control and all common sense of people running around after two years again.

FTFY

But the question is, did you like my epic tale?
Yes.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: June 26, 2012, 11:53:25 am »

...Man I love changing the pop cap to really low, migrant waves give me mre people JUST when I make enough living space, move the rocks, smooth it out, make furniture, then place it.

You can smooth&engrave after placing furniture, if the furniture doesn't block movement (beds, cabinets and chests don't).

Wyrmnax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:43 pm »

68 migrants

55 of those are children.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: June 26, 2012, 12:49:18 pm »

I constructed walls around my fort entrance and carved fortification, everything's ok so far.

Next siege half my fort run OVER the fortifications standing on a one tile wide wall, in front of a squad of bowgoblins.  >:(

I forgot to remove one ramp used in the construction of the wall, they had no reason to be there. I wrote it as suicide.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:56:43 pm by Boltgun »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: June 26, 2012, 12:51:12 pm »

68 migrants

So... many... times!

Also, my dwarves are refusing to build a wall because they are blocking their own build site. That's right, they stand on the square then complain that they're in their own way.

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: June 26, 2012, 01:22:25 pm »

68 migrants

So... many... times!

Also, my dwarves are refusing to build a wall because they are blocking their own build site. That's right, they stand on the square then complain that they're in their own way.

That's a known bug for 34.11, I get it myself too. Canceling the problem tiles' constructions and redesignating them should help.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:59:10 pm by Snaake »

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: June 26, 2012, 01:24:32 pm »

Yeah, I get the "urist McGenius cancels build: creature standing in job site" when he's standing on the wall tile he should be building...if we can't get a bug fix, could we at least get a funny mod to the notification like "smelly drunken beard standing in job site"??

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: June 26, 2012, 03:42:14 pm »

That's the worst part: canceling and redesignating the constructions doesn't fix it for me. If that poll would update, this would be by far the worst bug, as it is extremely crippling.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: June 26, 2012, 03:45:55 pm »

Figuring out i could remove walls....

just now i saw it.

I'm so stupid  ::)
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: June 26, 2012, 04:00:05 pm »

That's the worst part: canceling and redesignating the constructions doesn't fix it for me. If that poll would update, this would be by far the worst bug, as it is extremely crippling.

I've had that too, once or twice. In the end, I removed a couple of the neighbouring walls, built the problem spot, then built the ones I'd removed. Did take a while.

Wormwoods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: June 27, 2012, 12:14:42 am »

Well, in the succession game i just finished my turn on, i managed to forget how bridges worked, and promptly let a forgotten beast made of Ice and RAGE rampage through the Fortress. 22 poor Dorfs now rest in the crypt. It's year two. Good start.
Where we're going, we don't need traps.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58:00 am »

In my current fortress, I have a 20x20 obsidian farm.  8 bridges controlled by 1 lever similar to the vertical cross section below.  When the bridges are open, they block off the supply.  It was a little tricky to create the farm without poking any extra holes. 

Magma Supply____7/7 Magma____+
+
Open Air
+
Water Supply____7/7 Water____+
+
Open Air
+
+
Casting Area
[door]

I had forgotten that 7/7 liquids don't all fall at once.  So, some of the magma and water ends up mixing mid-air, and then caves in.  I ended up with pockets of 7x7 water mixed in the obsidian, and some obsidian on the level above the casting area that seems to be unsupported yet didn't cave in. 

So, there was 7/7 water on 2 of the tiles behind the door.  I figured the only way to clear that water would be to get a miner on top of the obsidian to dig some tiles out and get the water to evaporate.  I know I'm not going to get a second chance, because once the 1 obsidian tile is mined out and fills with water, the dwarfs won't go in. 

Anyway, I herd all of my miners into the entryway so that they can all rush in at once to increase my odds of getting someone on top, so that I don't need to poke any extra holes in my nice clean farm.  I designate the tile next to the door to be dug, and a bunch of tiles on the floor above to be dug.  They all rush in, all of my miners makes it on top.  It seems like my plan is coming together.  The moment they start digging, everything caves in.  Not a single miner made it out alive. 

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: June 27, 2012, 02:03:09 am »

This always comes to mind whenever something really bad happens in my fort. Just reimagine any tragic scene from your fort, even if it involved stupidity, with that in the background.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: June 27, 2012, 02:31:05 am »

This always comes to mind whenever something really bad happens in my fort. Just reimagine any tragic scene from your fort, even if it involved stupidity, with that in the background.

Good choice, but for me it's The Humpty Dance.  Then again, it's always time for The Humpty Dance.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: June 27, 2012, 11:22:08 am »

Good choice, but for me it's The Humpty Dance.  Then again, it's always time for The Humpty Dance.

My choice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5poSw7tFLB4
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 729