Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124494 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8070 on: October 22, 2013, 12:03:27 pm »

Maybe dig a route to the wall? I'm sure there were other possible routes if you thought about it.

Setes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: October 23, 2013, 07:46:25 am »

I just lost a fort to a severed undead hand!! Somehow it was flung on top of the walls around my main gate. It proceeded to scare everyone that got near the main gate. I mass designated ramps all around the walls, but my masons could not get close enough to build. My marksdwarves refused to shoot at it too. Eventually those trapped outside died of thirst and started a tantrum spiral.

Oh god, i did something similar, made an arena a bit too close to the entrance of my fort, and having just traded a load of stuff, all my dwarves were heading up and got caught on the wrong side. The levers to activate the arena were too close so no dwarf wanted to pull them, and soon my entire fortress were dying of thirst.

Derp

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: October 23, 2013, 05:05:58 pm »

I get the annual goblin siege a little early this year (late fall).  Everyone's already inside and the goblins take losses and retreat.

Then I decide: "Cancle the burrow orders and let's go outside to gather goblinite.  Chop trees and build roads too.  And let's get some of the stuff from those merchants who died in the ambush a couple years back.  We have a whole year till they show up again."

Guess what happens 2 months later?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So after I get everyone possible inside and raise the bridge I get this great idea to dig an emergency entrance tunnel to the other side of the map and make it part of the burrow.  A few lucky ones will be able to make it inside still.

No.  Everyone outside is chased down and dies.  So then I go back to focus on killing the invaders, etc.  Start noticing that we are striking gems and minerals, but write it off to some bedroom expansions I must have been in the middle of.  Get done killing a batch of trolls in the courtyard, but notice that some dogs and a weaver just died?!  Who can guess facepalm #2?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Send some squads to deal with it, a little messy but could have been worse.  Look over and see how to seal things up again, and a dozen pikegoblins with swordmaster are comming.  Send military into the breach to defend while we build some doors.  Kill them without any serious injuries, then I see a dozen lashers comming with a dozen archers.  I try to retreat but 4 archers and my macelord want to stick it out.  I feed a squad in there to try to back up the macelord, and the meat grinder starts turning.  This thing turns into a total BLOODBATH.  War dogs and dwarves start dieing, macelord gets snipered.  Spearmaster buys the farm.  I'm like "that's it".  Activate all of the other squads and even the noobies with wooden weapons in the militia.  Everyone goes in, and the job gets done.

Butcher's bill:
2 legendary fighters
3 militia captains (all skilled fighters with some leadership levels)
20 other military
random civilians who got scared into the tunnel or decided to start hauling corpses during the fight
? war/hunting dogs

Tunnel has been sealed, nobody is allowed outside for a while until I'm ready for more fun.
Future emergency tunnels will be designed with curves and a building-destroyer-proof way to close  ::)

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: October 24, 2013, 02:15:11 am »

I breached... the clown car - of course I had a fool proof plan, meaning in this case: the fool (me) had a plan that proved to be disastrous. I hade use of the bug that you cannot deconstruct hatches from the bottom, as long as you keep them tightly shut. I also used this for my osidianizer - while Armoks red blood was pumped through fortifications (well... I had fortifications all around the new circus tent), only spilling some of it (minor FP), the water was dumped through the ceiling through lever operated floor hatches. As soon as I opened them, the clowns got into the plumbing, deconstructed the screw pump and now they are at large in the fortress proper.
Ooops
I am not sure whether to wall off some section or to just send everybody in, sit back and enjoy the carnage...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: October 24, 2013, 05:41:28 am »

I am not sure whether to wall off some section or to just send everybody in, sit back and enjoy the carnage...
I'd go for option 2 and have some FUN

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #8075 on: October 24, 2013, 02:18:53 pm »

I'd go for option 2 and have some FUN

No, it is not as Fun as to wall it off, as the dwarfs slowly die of the lack of things that were sealed off, and when they finnalll y crack, the wall is breached and they fight, Dieing or winning, either way.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #8076 on: October 25, 2013, 08:37:52 am »

How is this a facepalm? imagining this is just sweet in a weird way. He just likes the little fishes.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: October 25, 2013, 02:15:14 pm »

Sounds like a chibi fanart.

Built a wall to keep out annoying Elk birds and other cavern nasties. Guess what? Forgot the corners.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: October 25, 2013, 03:21:09 pm »

Heh, I had one elk bird manage to get all the way up to the surface and the roof without generating tons of cancel spam, somehow.

At least they are basically harmless and I had one dwarf punch an elk bird in the leg as if he was shooing the bird off.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: October 25, 2013, 04:37:36 pm »

One murdered my fisherdwarf, caught him in the hallway as he was coming down and it panicked in the tight space...

6 dwarves left. Luckily, he had a grudge with everyone except the craftsdwarf. Unluckily, I need fish since I can't get to soil yet.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: October 26, 2013, 07:49:48 am »

"Urist McHunter cancels Return Kill: Interrupted by Lion."

His kill was the lion.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: October 26, 2013, 01:01:18 pm »

"Urist McHunter cancels Return Kill: Interrupted by Lion."

His kill was the lion.

Are you sure there wasn't another lion?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: October 26, 2013, 01:43:26 pm »

Déjà vu is usually a glitch in the Dwarf Fortress. It happens when they change the raws.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: October 27, 2013, 12:41:59 pm »

I just lost my second fortress.
Got a goblin ambush (or siege, don't know what it was), so I activated my drawbridge and accidentally locked half my fortress outside. I thought this was the best plan of attack, as my military was very weak (I didn't have a sedenmentary layer or tin, so they had copper gear). Turns out the goblins didn't arrive till much later, when like 80 of my dwarfs had died because of the tantrum spiral that happened after half my fortress had to spend multiple nights outside in a snowstorm without water.
And when they arived, the remaining ~20 dwarfs where all to busy tantruming to pull the bridge back up, turning my entranceway red.

Needless to say, I facepalmed pretty hard.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: October 27, 2013, 03:34:27 pm »

I just lost my second fortress.
Got a goblin ambush (or siege, don't know what it was), so I activated my drawbridge and accidentally locked half my fortress outside. I thought this was the best plan of attack, as my military was very weak (I didn't have a sedenmentary layer or tin, so they had copper gear). Turns out the goblins didn't arrive till much later, when like 80 of my dwarfs had died because of the tantrum spiral that happened after half my fortress had to spend multiple nights outside in a snowstorm without water.
And when they arived, the remaining ~20 dwarfs where all to busy tantruming to pull the bridge back up, turning my entranceway red.

Needless to say, I facepalmed pretty hard.

So I presume the goblins arrived to an open fortress with 80 frozen dwarfs, and went inside to find 20 dwarfs beating each other up, shaking in the corner or smashing their own head open on a wall?
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 729