Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124494 times)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8325 on: February 16, 2014, 11:43:58 am »

Make another cheap wooden one and try that out simple for the sake of testing i'd say.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: February 16, 2014, 05:52:25 pm »

well, there goes half my wood. right in the middle of a goblin siege too. by the way, it also shoots webs.

EDIT: good news. I just realized that fire doesn't go up slopes, meaning that it will be contained FTM. also flame based FBs don't actively attack the fort. I'm sending a marksdwarf squad to execute it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:59:50 pm by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8327 on: February 16, 2014, 06:37:04 pm »

Update, FB neutralized, but it managed to throw a fireball as a last ditched suicide attack. This dwarf somehow took it like a boss and lived to tell the tale! too bad she might go insane soon.

She's not bleeding anymore, but has severe blood loss.

also this game is clearly cheating. A kobold ambush spawned right after a siege and an FB encounter, taking out a dwarf before dying to my speardwarves. humorously, a kobold thief tried to sneak in immediately after said ambush, only to be stabbed to death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: February 16, 2014, 08:29:16 pm »

I....

just realized that I....

accidentially atomsmashed...

the adamantine sword from the demon fortress....

at some point.....

*FACEPALM SEPPUKU*

lol XD Shoulda secured the thing long ago. Oh well, it was a 2H sword anyway.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8329 on: February 16, 2014, 08:32:29 pm »

why would they make a sword so big that dwarves couldn't use it?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8330 on: February 16, 2014, 08:47:10 pm »

why would they make a sword so big that dwarves couldn't use it?

Technically most dwarves can't use it, there are a total of four dwarves in my 149 pop fort that can potentially use it two handed, but can't due to a bug that doesn't account for size variations or something.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8331 on: February 16, 2014, 10:05:10 pm »

so far her broken bones are healing nicely, status going from red to yellow. she still has 4 infections though.
She'll still probably be fine, since she's stayed alive long enough for the infected bones to heal from red to yellow.

Is she crawling around, or just lying in bed?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8332 on: February 16, 2014, 10:07:00 pm »

she's currently training with the others. i don't know how she's doing it when she can't even stand, but i admire her spirit.

EDIT: she got the platinum crutch that i assigned her.

Almost all of her wounds her healed except for her left wrist. she only has one infection now, which is on the same wrist.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:39:07 pm by PDF urist master »

ColdOneK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8333 on: February 17, 2014, 01:58:17 am »

When I realized you need to assign high boots, gauntlets, gloves, and socks twice for the militia to equip 2 of each
What... uh... crap. *facepalm* D:

EDIT: This thread says it is needed only when assigning single items, not general uniform.

I could care less what "this thread" says.
I noticed every single friggin member of my militia only had 1 gauntlet and 1 highboot, except for the commander that was specifically assigned an artifact iron gauntlet.
adding two of each to their equipment screen got them to wear 2 of each.

"this thread" lied to you

Edit: since what i've said may not have been obvious - the ONLY person that was assigned a specific piece of equipment - was the militia commander
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:00:06 am by ColdOneK »
~likes grizzlies for the epicness - dwarves for their melee - prefers to drink bourbon and coke when possible - needs alcohol to get through the working day - a fat stubby creature prone to arrogance and bouts of insanity~

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8334 on: February 17, 2014, 02:25:48 am »

I have never had a problem with dwarves putting on only one gauntlet, glove, shoe, sock, etc. I assign paired clothing only once in the uniforms tab, then assign the uniform. Unless the dwarf in question is already overloaded on clothing for that particular spot on their body (already wearing too many socks and shoes, etc.) and unless there are insufficient numbers of the item in question, they always wear two. You may have a bug.

ColdOneK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8335 on: February 17, 2014, 02:48:44 am »

my uniform assignment is
Helm
Hood
Mail Shirt
Breastplate
Cloak
Greaves
Trousers
Gauntlet
Gauntlet
Glove
Glove
High Boot
High Boot
Sock
Sock
Shield
Specific Weap type - ex. Battle Axe - they seem to spar more if you don't let them derp around choosing random garbage like goblinite whips or knives
exact matches
replaces clothing
material changes as I can produce better stuff - copper < Iron < Steel
With this set-up I no longer have issues with dwarves being retarded and leaving their weapon to go dry hump wrestle or play fisticuffs, or any other uniform bug I've seen before using default uniform types - crap got old - fix was found - no issues to date

Legendary from nothing takes 3ish years, and I don't use danger room or elves( I like grizzlies for their epicness as war animals- have one in my fort now, that has a historical fig. name for how many kobolds it has killed )
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:52:11 am by ColdOneK »
~likes grizzlies for the epicness - dwarves for their melee - prefers to drink bourbon and coke when possible - needs alcohol to get through the working day - a fat stubby creature prone to arrogance and bouts of insanity~

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8336 on: February 18, 2014, 11:30:11 am »

I remember that I lost my first fort because the water froze. despite the fact that I had hundreds of plump helmets. Of course, when I discovered that I can brew alcohol out of plants and thin air I facepalmed violently.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8337 on: February 18, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »

I have never had a problem with dwarves putting on only one gauntlet, glove, shoe, sock, etc. I assign paired clothing only once in the uniforms tab, then assign the uniform. Unless the dwarf in question is already overloaded on clothing for that particular spot on their body (already wearing too many socks and shoes, etc.) and unless there are insufficient numbers of the item in question, they always wear two. You may have a bug.

I have seen this problem in my own forts.  There is certainly a bug, somewhere, in this.  Under most circumstances, you only need to assign it once to a uniform.  However, in one of my forts this particular issue was definitely occurring.  Now, here's the fun part.  It only affected SOME of the soldiers.  I had to double up production.  Once I had two pairs of everything for everyone, I had about 150% of it claimed and 50% lying around a stockpile available.  So, it's inconsistent.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8338 on: February 18, 2014, 12:45:46 pm »

I think items are assigned according to order of creation, not order in the uniform. So, you might be able to get a soldier to put on two socks and two boots, but only if those four things were made in the right order.

Usually I assign a 'replace clothing' uniform that includes clothing items. The following uniform results in an appropriate number of gauntlets and boots on each dwarf:

Steel mail shirt
Leather cloak
Leather armour
Steel helm
Leather hood
Leather leggings
Steel gauntlet
Steel high boot
Specific shield
Specific crossbow

Material probably not relevant, but included anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8339 on: February 18, 2014, 01:09:13 pm »

Since I have replace clothing on my melee guys, I don't have any problems with that. However, I have occasionally had problems with picking up weapons and shields, which seems to largely be due to the fact that the equipment screen doesn't properly mark equipment held by other squads as being claimed, same goes for weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 729