Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124494 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9465 on: November 05, 2015, 11:48:40 pm »

I do too. Now I have 1000+ leather. All of it made in the fort. Training a dwarf from dabbling leatherworker to Legendary +5 barely put a dent in it. Kill me now.
Well at least you won't have to worry about clothing shortages anytime soon. Probably.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9466 on: November 06, 2015, 08:09:17 pm »

I decided to try a larger area to see if my PC could handle it (10x10).
I selected a temperate climate.
The game started my Dwarved and their animals on the edge of a sheet of ice with a 7/7 ocean between them and land.

>:(

The ice melted before they could dig a tunnel across.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9467 on: November 06, 2015, 08:25:51 pm »

Try again with temperature off?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9468 on: November 07, 2015, 06:07:56 am »

But that's cheating.

I tried a smaller area and managed to be set just above the high-water mark, on dry land. I'll take it. XD

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9469 on: November 07, 2015, 10:13:50 am »

But that's cheating.

I tried a smaller area and managed to be set just above the high-water mark, on dry land. I'll take it. XD

This brings back fond memories of the time that I embarked on a beach and lost most of the starting seven to waves while desperately trying to save the embark supplies.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9470 on: November 07, 2015, 07:39:29 pm »

But that's cheating.

This brings back fond memories of the time that I embarked on a beach and lost most of the starting seven to waves while desperately trying to save the embark supplies.
Unfortunately I finally gave up my 10x10 embark due to lag. I believe my current attempt is a 5x5, which is having less issues, thankfully. (I wanted to test my PC.)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #9471 on: November 08, 2015, 06:03:47 pm »

I was trying to fill a magma cistern from the side of a volcano- always tricky since the pipe is the same width the whole way through. I thought magma was still slow enough for my miner to knock a hole in the side and run. I was wrong.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9472 on: November 10, 2015, 09:20:14 pm »

Six dwarven births over a period of just five in-game days. I wasn't even unpaused for a second between two of them. What happened!?
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9473 on: November 10, 2015, 10:30:38 pm »

Six dwarven births over a period of just five in-game days. I wasn't even unpaused for a second between two of them. What happened!?

You see, when a mommy dwarf and a daddy dwarf love each other very much...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9474 on: November 10, 2015, 11:00:11 pm »

I was trying to fill a magma cistern from the side of a volcano- always tricky since the pipe is the same width the whole way through. I thought magma was still slow enough for my miner to knock a hole in the side and run. I was wrong.
It is slow enough, provided they actually decide to run.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9475 on: November 11, 2015, 08:47:24 am »

Not so much my facepalm as dwarven stupidity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My first caravan popped in... inside of a cloud of deadly dust.

The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9476 on: November 11, 2015, 01:36:15 pm »

It is slow enough, provided they actually decide to run.
It also depends on how fast your dwarf is. The slowest dwarf I've ever seen had a base speed of 3xx.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: November 13, 2015, 05:12:54 am »

I wanted to quickly clear a room of stone boulders so I designated a mass dump a short distance away. I forgot two things. a) my garbage dump zone was next to a downwards ramp and b) dumps next to a cliff will have the dwarves toss the garbage over the edge. Sure enough, one of my starting seven dwarves was soon found stoned to death under a pile of boulders.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: November 13, 2015, 08:40:48 am »

I wanted to quickly clear a room of stone boulders so I designated a mass dump a short distance away. I forgot two things. a) my garbage dump zone was next to a downwards ramp and b) dumps next to a cliff will have the dwarves toss the garbage over the edge. Sure enough, one of my starting seven dwarves was soon found stoned to death under a pile of boulders.
Sisyphus cancels haul boulder up hill, crushed.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: November 15, 2015, 03:38:58 pm »

Facepalm 1:
   Sending the military to equip before forbidding things on the surface, like from those dead gobbos  at the edge of the map

Faceplam 2:
  Watching as my militia commander politely asks the necromances to step asside so that he can loot the corpses.

No harm, no foul, but... yeesh.
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 729