Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124494 times)

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #585 on: November 30, 2009, 09:49:51 pm »

Had a map that encircled a lake.  The plan was to drain it, build a glass fort in it, then refill it.  To help refill it, I built I giant reservoir.  It was about 30x20 and 5 z levels tall. 

Problem one was I built it too soon.  There was an aquifer, and since the surrounding area was heavy forest, I built it out of wood.  But the map had no magma and I ran out of wood making clear glass blocks.  The caravans weren't bringing wood either, I think it was because they didn't count the logs as being used and thought I had plenty in stock.  So I had to tear it down.

Problem two was I filled it too soon.  I had attached a side room with a bridge to the bottom.   I was going to breach the wall and between the bridge and reservoir and drain it by atom smashing the water.    Now, I knew about water pressure, so I built a roof over the room and a series of doors to act as an airlock.  What I forgot to do was to go back and put a roof over the doors.   When the wall was removed...  well, it was basically a giant, blue explosion that covered the screen in less than a second. 

The real face palm moment though, was if I had the bridge raised at the time, the water would have gone though a diagonal and lost its pressure.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 30, 2009, 10:13:57 pm »

My fey mood dwarf wanted silk.  I had a choice between cave spider size: regular and giant.  Guess which one I chose. 

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 01, 2009, 01:39:45 pm »

On my second fort I built so many traps for teh goblins...and a huge water filled moat too.. Guess what civ is not on the civ screen? I'll could ever get was kobold theives.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 03, 2009, 09:45:02 am »

I tried to create an icy world with parameters. Setting the temperature to -20 with no variance and embarking results in flash-frozen dwarves.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 03, 2009, 12:41:04 pm »

Realized that I had drafted my farmer. After he had reached elite wrestler.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 03, 2009, 03:29:54 pm »

Built a swimming pool and a drowning chamber, then confused the levers.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 03, 2009, 04:10:43 pm »

After building about 10,000 blocks of my pyramid, I realized that I did a 10x10 second in the wrong color on the covered second floor.  No problem, I can just colapse it, hurt who ever pull the last board, but with all these dwarves, no problem... right?

Did you know that if you colapse a large section over the main part of you fortress, where you have cleared MANY floors, including your kitchens, dining rooms, work shops, etc that the falling stuff will make a VERY large hole right to the bottom dug out space?  Taking with it all the lazy dwarves who are haing out in the dining room...

Yeah, I save scummed... still have thousands of blocks to place but I wasn't going to start over, nor was I going to survive the death spiral that was bound to happen.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 03, 2009, 11:55:48 pm »

Cave ins... *shudder*... so easy to forget about them with DF's faulty physics.

Just had a new one. Didn't realize I made one too few warhammers for my hammerdwarves to train with. One of my raw recruits grabbed a crucible steel one from a dead orc. Luckily, I realized this when I started getting "Cannot bring water: needs bucket" spam from the two broken bones he'd inflicted. No deaths, no spinal injuries, just two laid up recruits. He's using copper again, wish there was a way to force him to only spar with his own squad, they're at least wearing steel chain armor instead of leather.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 04, 2009, 12:06:32 am »

Had a nice big fort with around 110 pop. Food/cloth and steel industries were up to speed and I was really getting going on my massive underground construction projects. A fire got into the fort via the caravan and started right in my main stockpile room! My previous save was about 4-5 hours old. Waah! 

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 04, 2009, 01:08:15 am »

A handful of years into my evil volcanic island fortress of doom, my weapon/armor smith, nicknamed Link, goes into a mood.  "Awesome!" I think to myself, he's one of my original seven and it's about time I got someone to really work that magma besides those glassworking sissies.  He gathers stone, iron bars, leather, wood, a gem, then stops.  He wants cloth, and I don't have any. (First facepalm.)  I nearly had some, but the last dwarf caravan was apparently so offended by my offer of 20,000 dwarfbucks in obsidian trinkets in exchange for food, booze, and cloth that they left immediately.  Nearly tore down the Depot in disgust, then thought better of it.  (Flashback facepalm.)

I checked if I still had pig tails from last season, turns out they were all made into ale.  (Third facepalm.)  I had already saved after Link began his mood too (fourth facepalm.)  I wanted to plant more pig tails, except it was winter, and I couldn't plant them again until summer (fifth facepalm.)  I nearly ordered my dwarves to begin building a wall around the guy, then I think "I'll just assign some war dogs to the guy then do a forbid/unforbid dance with all the stuff he's gathered."  And it works.  I manage to keep the guy alive for two seasons.  As far as I noticed, he didn't eat or drink the entire time, not even booze.  Finally, when summer hit, I built a loom, grew the pig tails, ordered the cloth made, and watched as the first cloth that rolls off is cave spider cloth, made from thread I got from the caravan before last. (sixth facepalm.)

Link nabs the cave spider cloth (thank goodness), then preceeds to make a iron right gauntleft.  (seventh facepalm.)  Well, at least I have a legendary armorsmith now.

Oh yeah, I also have a Zelda and Ganondwarf :).  Zelda is a legendary mason, Ganondwarf is a legendary woodcrafter.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 04, 2009, 01:10:05 am »

What, no gold for the Triforce?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 04, 2009, 01:22:31 am »

My favorite fortress is one of the early 40d variants, named Thobtishak. IIRC, that means ShipKillers or ShipArdent; I was inspired by BoatMurdered, as were so many of us.

Anyway, I'd been avoiding Thobtishak for a while due to OH GOD GOBLINS. I finally reopen it, and spend a while having my team of six legendary miners dig about, training others, et al.

Finally, I get to the point where I can't really do anything else; my tower is getting pretty tall, but I've run out of wood to make beds, can't find any more lignite to burn into coke, and the remainder of the areas I wanted to dig out were all boundary walls to the outside.

My military was smaller than it might have been, but nevertheless a force to be reckoned with. I take my most promising (read: any) Recruits, put them under whichever soldier has kills to their name, and build a set of airlocks so that any gobbos that might get past them wouldn't get any farther than my trap-filled entrance hall.

By the time my squad of dorfs get outside, I notice the goblins have left. Confused, I look up-and notice that the Siege tag is gone.

While I'd been preparing, the goblins had evidently decided "screw this" and left, the whole shebang of them heading to the north.

They killed four of my favorite Masons and one of said masons' kids. I'm kinda pissed that my dorfs didn't get revenge.

Thankfully, a Human caravan showed up to ease my frustration a bit, and there was still a great variety of wonderful things from the Goblins. My remaining Masons set to work building the things I'd designated while waiting for the gobbos to leave, and I relaxed.

I need to get enough old computers to finish my Beowulf Cluster so I can PROPERLY flood Thobtishak's Primary Farming Complex. Half-muddied, it has nine full-size farms; fully muddied, I'd be able to clean out the caravans even more thoroughly than I do already!

For an idea, have a look below-even though it's been expanded since.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 04, 2009, 03:00:41 am »

I was worried about some Rhesus Macaque, but they were killed for me! BY CARP!

OH GAWD TEH BLOOD IS EVERYWHERE....now I just have to make sure my dwarves have enough booze, or they will go to the river.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 04, 2009, 11:03:57 am »

Link nabs the cave spider cloth (thank goodness), then preceeds to make a iron right gauntleft.  (seventh facepalm.)  Well, at least I have a legendary armorsmith now.
Now he can pick up rocks! :D

...wait. :-\
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 04, 2009, 11:32:13 am »

"I'll just assign some war dogs to the guy then do a forbid/unforbid dance with all the stuff he's gathered."  And it works.

Can you explain how you pulled that off? I have no idea how you could prolong his mood once he started working. Not to mention, that I never would have guessed that it was possible to begin work on an artifact before gathering all the ingredients...
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 729