Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1844384 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #720 on: November 20, 2014, 07:07:05 am »

Quote from: Toady One
...a night creature that had wandered into a shop and killed the owner... the creature then somehow got assigned as the owner. The crash happened when the night creature tried to come up with things to say to potential shoppers, since it didn't have a civilization as a frame of reference. I fixed that part...

I imagine him... "oh! new costumers, and I didn't even finished eating the last owner, it's all a mess, I hope they don't notice... now... what do I say... hi... welcome, what can I... aghhh.... this is too hard!"

By fixed I hope you mean we have awesome daemons and werewolves running shops in a extremely baffling and amicable way...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 20, 2014, 10:52:21 am »

...a night creature that had wandered into a shop and killed the owner... the creature then somehow got assigned as the owner. The crash happened when the night creature tried to come up with things to say to potential shoppers, since it didn't have a civilization as a frame of reference. I fixed that part...

I imagine him... "oh! new costumers, and I didn't even finished eating the last owner, it's all a mess, I hope they don't notice... now... what do I say... hi... welcome, what can I... aghhh.... this is too hard!"

By fixed I hope you mean we have awesome daemons and werewolves running shops in a extremely baffling and amicable way...
Surprisingly, this is not a new problem.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 20, 2014, 11:04:37 pm »

What movie is that clip from?

Frogging101

• Bay Watcher
  • Inaction is Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fastquake.com/
« Reply #723 on: November 21, 2014, 12:01:27 am »

The Terminator (1984)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 21, 2014, 09:02:05 pm »

New devlog, I see:

All breeding also occurs within touch range now, though there isn't a new activity for it or anything. Some more tools for breeding and animal population control are now in place. Due to the raw changes, it won't be available in old saves without tweaking the raws.

Wonder if this is going to change things for dwarves too?

Today saw the addition of an oft-requested feature -- the ability to geld! We stayed away from new parts, but there's a body part tag for it on appropriate male critters, as well as a job and so on. The job takes place at the farmer's workshop after the animal is designated in a way similar to slaughtering. The process is modeled with a wound within the existing framework.

This may have some interesting results in combat.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 21, 2014, 09:04:52 pm »

Nah, it just means that certain lower body wounds will cause sterility. It'll be more interesting for mods that add important parts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 21, 2014, 09:11:23 pm »

Nah, it just means that certain lower body wounds will cause sterility. It'll be more interesting for mods that add important parts.

Can a random lower body wound inflicted through combat or other cause, cause sterility now?

That is, is it possible via random chance to induce sterility outside of the gelding interaction (since it works via a wound) or is it only possible to achieve the sterility via the gelding interaction?

Hey, someone has to ask, lol.

Edit: added some clarification. The answer is probably no, but it's still a valid question.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:05:41 am by smjjames »

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 21, 2014, 09:21:29 pm »

Will the gelding reaction be automated? If not, why?

Edit: I mean, will there be a way to automatically designate a certain species/cast, or will we have to be on the ball?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:31:14 pm by Zarathustra30 »
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 21, 2014, 09:37:03 pm »

Will the gelding reaction be automated? If not, why?

The job takes place at the farmer's workshop after the animal is designated in a way similar to slaughtering.

Unless by "not automated" you mean "there's a little minigame".

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:09 pm »

will the removed parts be *ahem* ready for consummation after the fact?

Also a werewolf should regenerate those too right?

Are there any behaviorchanges planned in the future to accommodate the new breeding? Like males going activly after females?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 21, 2014, 10:53:54 pm »

Let me see if I've got this straight... I can neuter my cats now, or be humane and simply keep them in separate rooms?

Catsplosion: another casualty of the gradual improvements in the Fortress.

The Terminator (1984)

Urist McJunker wonders, "Why do the Snatchers only attack at night?"
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 22, 2014, 03:09:41 am »

If we add a geldable tag to female critters, will this in turn allow specific females to be sterilized?

Does the new breeding mechanic play nice with egg-laying critters?
Females spend nearly their entire adult lives on the nest box, because if one clutch is gathered late or hatches she will instantly lay another clutch in that same box, and they can't have other creatures sharing rooms with them because if one of those extras steps on her nest box tile she will get disturbed and the eggs die. Because of this, every other clutch dies because when one clutch hatches the female immediately lays a second, and the hatchlings immediately disturb her and thus kill the eggs, and the player must micro-manage egg layers pastures to get them to breed at a reasonable rate, which means only females, or only one female, per pasture. But with this mechanic, a male must share a room with egg-laying females, correct? Otherwise fertilization will never occur. But then the male must immediately be removed...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:27:29 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 22, 2014, 04:29:50 am »

will the removed parts be *ahem* ready for consummation after the fact?
No. There are no parts.

Also a werewolf should regenerate those too right?
Transformation cures all wounds, neutering is a wound, so they should recover from neutering - not that I expect either weres or civilized creatures to be eligible for gelding.

Are there any behaviorchanges planned in the future to accommodate the new breeding? Like males going activly after females?
Presumably there are plans, but likely there is no timeline.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 22, 2014, 07:25:14 am »

Hrm,

This has the potential to cause some very strong emotional reactions in sentients.

Can dwarves or other sentients be neutered intentionally by the player?

If so, when a dwarf or other sentient is neutered, will it cause appropriate bad thoughts?

If both of these things have been considered, will neutered dwarves or sentients seek out lycanthropy or other potential magical cures?

If I neuter all the elves in a trade caravan, will their civilization declare war on my dwarves?

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 22, 2014, 08:50:12 am »

I wonder if Toady One realizes the can of worms opened here, heh.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 306