Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 922493 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7440 on: April 17, 2017, 10:42:36 am »

I wish there was an RPG that wasn't so much a linear story as a web of interacting events that a proactive player can take part in. Like Majora's Mask, but over a week or two as opposed to three days, and without the reset mechanics.

The way you cheat and don't have to deal with a combinatorial explosion is to have it advance in terms of routes and branches like a visual novel, but have it running on a timer as opposed to entirely player-driven. Fill the space between junctures with a Bethesda-like daily routine, and have some in-universe way to give the player a notification when some important choice expires or becomes available.

There's the idea of 'One City Block' (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/31/will-we-ever-get-to-play-one-city-block/) which is kinda like this - basically, if you could simulate an area in enough detail you'd be able to have tons of fun just interacting with the daily lives of NPCs.

If you could make an RPG with enough NPC interest and systems, you could just get involved in a sort of 'butterfly effect' way - hiding a gun stops a robbery, which lets the bank teller go home early, who sees his wife cheating etc. etc.

The problem is that for the most part the player wouldn't be able to tell what they'd affected. I remember years ago playing one of the old Ultima games and it was really difficult to know what was an 'emergent effect' and what was just random stuff.

This article might be of interest to you to, especially Else Heart.Break():
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/06/the-joy-of-npc-schedules/
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: April 18, 2017, 03:46:01 am »

@TBeholder
there was a game exactly like that, and a few games were run in the lets play board a few years back IIRC. Unfortunately, the game was copyright taken down and i can't seem to find it anywhere.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: April 18, 2017, 07:30:25 am »

Impossible Creatures 2. More creatures, new graphics engine, maybe set it in the 50's instead of I think 1910? I can't remember when the first one was set.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: April 19, 2017, 10:42:30 am »

Impossible Creatures 2. More creatures, new graphics engine, maybe set it in the 50's instead of I think 1910? I can't remember when the first one was set.

All of my yes. This game was my all time favorite RTS
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: April 24, 2017, 06:50:24 pm »

I want a remake of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary. I feel like, with just a handful of adjustments for the fact that it's not the early 90s anymore, it could be a really, really good game.

There's one mission that is entirely dependent on you using the computer to look up information before you go down. That's smart! That's a great puzzle because it's thinking like a Starfleet captain!... except I had no idea that was even possible and got stuck for a long time, after I beamed down and couldn't access the computer anymore. Could literally be fixed by a brief tutorial on all the ship functions, or even just a help screen you can pull up at will. There's also a few pixel hunt puzzles that I don't think were really intentional, it's just a fault of the game's extremely low resolution and limited colors. Finally, the flight sim sections are an abomination.

But besides those, I think it could be really good if redone with modern technology. It's the only commercially released point-and-click game I ever enjoyed, for what it's worth.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: April 25, 2017, 12:08:02 pm »

Something like X-com but it's about you leading a mercenary company of tanks. Go trough the latter part of last century and slightly into the future, hire crew, buy tanks, customize them to a certain extent, take on contracts and then go on turn based missions to complete them.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: April 25, 2017, 04:57:46 pm »

Dragon's Dogma 2: Electric Dragon Weird Romance subplots Boogaloo.

I fucking love Dragon's Dogma and would love a second one; all it needs is a newer, larger map. I also want the ability to carry females/males/romances/goats to my bed, Conan-style over the shoulder, if they have the luminescent blush that denotes high affection.

It could become good japanese Fable. Make it happen, capcom.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7447 on: May 06, 2017, 10:19:28 pm »

Space Engineers + Subnautica. VR survival? Yes. In space? Very yes!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: May 09, 2017, 10:23:16 am »

Their already is a couple of those. Like Osiris, or Hellion, or Star Citizen
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: May 10, 2017, 03:24:47 pm »

I want a survival game in space. Like, in a space hulk/derelict thing. UnReal World in space. Same graphics level or even ASCII would be OK, nothing fancy. Not a colony manager either. Multiplayer is ok I guess?

Literally pulling metal panels and wires from walls to build shelters and stuff. Laying traps for space rats for food, maybe get some crappy hydroponics going.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: May 10, 2017, 03:43:43 pm »

I have played some Mount & Blade recently, which has made me think of something I would like. A game much like it, but more fantastical, with mythological beasts and a degree of magic in the world. I would also rather like it to star anthros (partially because good games featuring playable anthropomorphic races are bloody rare, particularly when you subtract MMOs from the lists), perhaps as the different cultures and kingdoms.
Beside those changes, I would like the game to be a similar experience as dear old Condottieri simulator 1255 Mount & Blade, there is an awful lot of mileage in that game, despite the rather dry setting.
Of course, it is beginning to sound as if what I am really after is a video game version of Ironclaw, which... Bah, that would do, too.

Failing that, a new M&B-game set amongst the ancient Greek city-states would also be jolly fun. Viking Conquest leads the charge.

I want a survival game in space. Like, in a space hulk/derelict thing. UnReal World in space. Same graphics level or even ASCII would be OK, nothing fancy. Not a colony manager either. Multiplayer is ok I guess?

Literally pulling metal panels and wires from walls to build shelters and stuff. Laying traps for space rats for food, maybe get some crappy hydroponics going.

Hmm, another one for my ideas basket, heeheheh...

I quite like the potential of it, I must say. It is a very self-contained scenario, but with plenty of possibilities.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: May 10, 2017, 04:02:30 pm »

I once imagined a game where you play an off-site troop commander and have to make decisions based on radio reports and satellite photos. You wouldn't have real-time information and instead have to update a physical map as reports come in. The thing is I have no idea if this would be fun or just frustrating
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: May 10, 2017, 04:13:31 pm »

I'd like to see Mount and Blade with a post apocalyptic setting and running with rifles style combat.  Use scavenged binoculars, sniper rifles, and military mortars to kill enemies before they have a chance to fight back, and avoid stronger enemies, or use mad max banditmobiles to overrun enemies.  Frantic infantry combat is the last resort of poorly equipped factions, and if you really aren't ready you might have to use pistols or even machetes.  If both sides have vehicles then the field gets larger and if one side is running than it turns into a high speed chase sequence where the fleeing side has to get to the opposite map side with the chasing side starting behind them.

I once imagined a game where you play an off-site troop commander and have to make decisions based on radio reports and satellite photos. You wouldn't have real-time information and instead have to update a physical map as reports come in. The thing is I have no idea if this would be fun or just frustrating
As a serious game I think it would need to be assumed that your command staff is doing some of the work for you.  Like it'll tell you the last known location of the 14th infantry division and if you click on them it'll give you a list of reports like "at 0200 hours they were at this location at this strength and the report is believed to be this accurate."

It could also work as a surgeon simulator style physics joke game.  Play as the general, fuck up everything, then after the battle the blinders get taken off and you see a replay of what actually happened.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: May 10, 2017, 07:42:30 pm »

I'd like to see Mount and Blade with a post apocalyptic setting and running with rifles style combat.  Use scavenged binoculars, sniper rifles, and military mortars to kill enemies before they have a chance to fight back, and avoid stronger enemies, or use mad max banditmobiles to overrun enemies.  Frantic infantry combat is the last resort of poorly equipped factions, and if you really aren't ready you might have to use pistols or even machetes.  If both sides have vehicles then the field gets larger and if one side is running than it turns into a high speed chase sequence where the fleeing side has to get to the opposite map side with the chasing side starting behind them.
This, perhaps?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: May 11, 2017, 07:21:27 am »

Not quite that, but I once thought about making a game where you play the high admiral in an interstellar empire which hasn't invented lightspeed travel. Orders and reports would only pass back and forth at light speed. So, you might receive reports that one of your fleets were destroyed ten years ago at the edge of the empire, and send orders to the main border fleet to move out. But during the eight years the order takes to reach the main border fleet, you keep getting more and more reports about the extent of the alien threat, and realise you should have ordered that fleet to run like hell.
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 577