Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 100

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 179119 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #270 on: November 19, 2018, 11:23:42 am »

Now that i'm finally done with the unrelenting horror that is Mega Man X7, I moved on to Mega Man X8.

This game is far from perfect, but it is just so much better designed and made than X7 was.  There was enough time between them when they came out that I didn't realize how much better X8 was, but now it's plain as day.

I still don't like the game very much compared to the old ones, but it's not just bad like X7 was.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 19, 2018, 03:27:43 pm »

Depending on the day, either Co-op Divinity Original Sin:EE or Dungeonmans.

Divinity Original Sin is a pretty decent 2-player turn-based RPG with a tactical combat on the same map you run around on (allowing you to get in position before the fight, or get yourself stuck behind something when your partner runs way ahead of you). I like the elemental interactions.

You spend skill points to upgrade skills in a freeform way, but you'll end up a fighter, archer, thief or mage. Thieves can backstab for what I assume is a lot of damage, fighters can deal massive damage and inflict knockdown or slowing statuses pretty regularly, and have an attack that lets them rush halfway across the battlefield while knocking down everyone on the way. Archers can shoot stuff or use semi-common special arrows to cause elemental effects. Mages can create pools of oil to slow people, then start the oil on fire. Or summon rain to put out fires your enemies/less careful partner and also self started literally everywhere. Blood counts as water, so trails of blood will conduct electricity from lightning, shocking everyone nearby (including your fighter) for a few turns. Just in case that's not enough, campfires and barrels full of poisonous ooze/water/oil interact with elemental attacks appropriately.

Dungeonmans, is a graphical roguelike. As you can tell from the title has some stupid humour. It's everything I wanted from Rogue Legacy (actually like Rogue instead of a platformer and you actually have noticeable improvements in your future characters). You're a recent graduate of the Dungeonmans Academy, now get out there and kill/loot some stuff.

You roll up and choose one of 4 or 5 sets of stats (or reroll), choose a class to pre-assign some skills for you or choose Dungeonmans to assign them yourself, pick 2 traits (World Champion gets you more elite enemies for more treasure and proofs of Stremf, but are also elite enemies and might kill you, another trait allows you to use one potion per round for zero actions, and one allows/forces you to eat skill books for health instead of reading them for free skill points). Skill trees are 3-deep, and require level 1, 3, and 6 (out of 15 possible) to unlock. You get 5 skill points at level 1, and 1 each level after, so you can build pretty wide. There are something like 10 sets of skill trees, each with 3-5 skill trees. You roam around the world entering dungeons that are helpfully labelled (trivial, easy, adventerous, dangerous, deadly, impossible) in color-coded letters to represent how level-appropriate they are. Killing elite enemies and dungeon bosses of your level or higher (and they can be 1 higher than the level of the dungeon level you are on) gains you better loot and proofs of stremf. Proofs can be taken back to your academy, and spent to increase stats. Equipment you don't want can be melted down to raw materials of the tier the equipment were, and the blacksmith remembers the egos (causes bleeding, +x fire damage, etc.) from all of the weapons you've melted so far. You can buy hammers with the raw materials to apply the egos to your new weapons. The Southern Gentlemans class is a weird one: to represent being a raging berserker, they build up rage by killing enemies, and the rage slowly goes down in real-time. It's at least an interesting idea.

Now the legacy stuff: When you die, proofs of stremf count for half value for all future characters. Characters who survive until level 10 can retire like idiots, or die trying to get even more powerful/more stuff. Either way, they become a new professor who can teach all future characters an entire skill tree. The blacksmith keeps all of the raw materials and egos you've collected even when you die, and can hold special equipment in a vault for you or future characters to remove and use. Special equipment is either part of a set (fairly rare for most of the game), a unique weapon (also rare for most of the game), or a weapon that got named and a slight stat bonus because one of your previous characters died holding it (hopefully they weren't holding an already-special weapon). You just need to go avenge your previous characters' deaths to get a stat bonus and their named weapon. The game is difficult enough that you'll make use of the legacy stuff until you make an overpowered-enough character to kill all the plot stuff (non-spoiler: it's the Purpleonians, the stand-in for demons/horrors in this game).

Edited to add actual descriptions, because I guess we're supposed to actually describe things.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:01:23 am by Iduno »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 19, 2018, 11:58:51 pm »

Ok, Iduno, now elaborating on Streets of Rogue. You don't have to compare me to people tried to do actual work and then stop midway through or whatever the story is/was behind those folks. Though poking at my ego did work this time.

TL;DR 'cause I am making this rather long and not entirely coherent:
This game's a real-time roguelike where you can do things like turn from a possibly homeless person into basically a super soldier, you can acquire a posse of loyal followers who will fight to the death just by saying "derp" a lot, and you can push a very important hat down a hole to be lost forever.

The environments you will pass through include a slums area where homeless people tend to outnumber the people who are actually in buildings (and while law enforcement will try to murder you if they spot you stealing or the like, they mostly don't care), an industrial sector with hazardous barrels and flame-spewing vents everywhere (including out in the open and everywhere inside buildings, some of which include crushers and saw blades which can kill the inhabitants on their own), a park that's relatively peaceful and quiet (probably because cannibals or traps killed so many of the other inhabitants), a downtown where mobsters walk around freely and military police make their first appearances (They're probably the only reason the haughty and cowardly upper-crusters are even still alive), a uptown where security includes robots and automatic blockades (complete with confiscation and deportation centers), and a final floor featuring the final boss (and their hat).

Your means of dealing with things are numerous, including: Take one of a number of drugs to gain a boost that'll let you push through combat or stealth with no penalty to you, pop out a weapon of some variety and go to town, ask all your friends to kill your enemies, run the hell away until they get bored and walk off, trick them into hitting bystanders or law enforcement so they can deal with the problem for you, blow shit up, or utilize one or more of a wide selection of items to get through the situation alive and victorious.

Or just fail the mission. Because you can do that with some types of misson and you'll still be able to go to the next floor so long as all of the required missions are resolved to some degree.

TL;DR ends here. Yeah, it's still pretty long. You probably don't need to read all of it to get the gist of it, though. I hope. Unless I screwed it up.

I never played any Streets of Rage except for a little bit of the Remake, and I couldn't really get past a control scheme I was not accustomed to. I'm saying this 'cause the title makes me think of Streets of Rage even though I don't know much about that game.

Well, while Streets of Rage has some apparently rather dark themes of corruption in positions of power and authority (something about how law enforcement is on the bad guy's side?), in Streets of Rogue, simlar themes of corruption are portrayed by cops having a quote that is literally "Psst! I can be bribed easily! Like, really easily!"

Streets of Rogue is considerably more lighthearted in tone than Streets of Rage. Corpses look like they're rolling their eyes, plenty of the flavor texts for items have some kind of joke to them (The Silencer states that it'll let you kill people without doing the "super rude" act of alerting the neighbors), the villian's crimes include throwing a party that was "super lame", and the currency is chicken nuggets (banned after they gave the Mayor a stomachache).

Streets of Rage is technically not a top-down shooter (the shooting, in fact, is rather simplistic compared with, say, Enter the Gungeon), but the combat plays out much like one in that you control movement with one hand (WASD keys by default) and shooting/swinging with the other (Mouse aim by default).

Ranged combat is a relatively simple matter of dodging the enemy's bullets while firing your own. This is made easier if you have high firearms skill and the setting for auto-aim on (which is on by default and even seems to do things like lead targets based on how fast they're moving - though if you're aiming at an object and a person is in the same direction and closer, you'll shoot the person). If you don't have auto-aim on, however, you'll need to utilize your own aiming skill to help land hits. In any case, the firearm selection consists of standard shooting game weapons - the pistol (relatively weak, but common and thus likely one of the first guns you'll pick up), shotgun (best used just beyond melee range), and machinegun (like the pistol, but considerably faster). Individual shots don't inflict a tremendous amount of damage - save for close-range shotgun blasts, and even then, that's techincally just the entire shotgun spread hitting the target. However, the pistol and machinegun can both be fired quite rapidly - and the pistol appears to fire faster based on your character's firearms skill. Also, all guns deal more damage based on firearms skill, so a soldier with enough ammo can easily clean out buildings with very little risk to themselves.

I should probably explain firearms skill and skills in general. See, at the start of each game, you're asked to choose what character you want to be. You can do things like alter their appearance, but no matter what, you must choose a class. Each class has different stats, traits, and gear. For instance, the Soldier starts with a max firearms skill, a high melee skill, and a bunch of equipment used to kill people, including explosives. If you level up, at the end of a floor you can choose one of a selection of traits, which you can. This can include an upgrade to any skill you have that isn't yet at its maximum of 4/4. Additionally, a character with the Potential to Not Suck trait (like the Slum Dweller) will gain a point in any skill not at 4/4 every second level, starting at level 2. However, for much of the game, the character stats and traits you have will be the ones you'll have to deal with, for better or worse.

Other than shooting at your enemies, you can also hit them with stuff, including your bare fists (which you might have to resort to if your weapons break). There's a fairly varied list of melee weapons, including a knife, a baseball bat, baton, axe, sword, and sledgehammer. The sledgehammer, axe, and sword inflict very high damage per hit - so much so you can instagib people if you've got high enough melee skill or land a crit. Also, all non-knife melee weapons swing in an arc, making it easy to hit multiple opponents with one swing - which decreases the durability the same as though you'd hit one enemy with a swing and is thus encouraged.

Breaking items like doors or furniture with weapons doesn't degrade their durability, so you can happily smash away at those things if you need to, with your only consequence being property owners or law enforcement coming to kill you. Unless you've bribed law enforcement, which means you can smash whatever and whoever you like as long as it's not a cop.

Missions are things you have to do on each floor to be able to proceed to the next. These consist of things like "Blow up this generator", "Neutralize this person", or "Get this thing from this person". And these can be done in any number of ways. Granted, the person must be neutralized, the generator must be blown up, and the thing must be gotten from the person. You can't fail those missions because those missions don't have a fail state. But there are still a number of ways you can complete them. Generators can be blown up in a number of ways - shooting, beating with a piece of metal, blowing up with explosives, or tampering with using wrenches to make them blow up stealthily, without all the noise that beating them with a piece of metal usually causes. For neutralizing a person, you can either turn them friendly somehow and ask them to leave, you can intimidate them, you can knock them out (requires a tranq gun or the chloroform Doctor players have), or you can just straight-up kill them. For getting an item from someone, you can do any of those things, or you can bribe them with an item or some money - just make sure if you kill or knock them out that you pick up the item from them afterwards. How exactly you get your way to accomplishing any of those things... Well, that's why the game can be quite difficult at times. You might have to hold off on using an item because you know you can bribe someone with it, and doing so will let you resolve the mission without violence which means you get more EXP, which is good because you fully heal when you level up and your health is low and you're not sure if you want to use your healing items just yet since you are quite close to leveling up...

And then there's how you can deal with the final boss and get their very important hat - which can constitute several methods - killing them and picking up their very important, stealing their very important hat, becoming their friend and asking for the very important hat, buying the hat, having an election for the hat, or even just arresting or enslaving them (if you've got the right class) and getting the hat.

I think I'm done with this, but if you're still confused I can elaborate further. I just hope I haven't made you any stupider.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:07:51 pm by AzyWng »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2018, 09:16:36 am »

Ok, Iduno, now elaborating on Streets of Rogue. You don't have to compare me to people tried to do actual work and then stop midway through or whatever the story is/was behind those folks. Though poking at my ego did work this time.

I did what now? I mean, yes...my...plan worked.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2018, 10:03:52 am »

Can you combine the jock's charge ability with wrestling throws yet, though?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2018, 11:23:59 am »

Wrestling throws?

Well, you already seem somewhat familiar with the game, but no, such a thing is not possible.

See, each class (including custom-made classes) can pick one special ability (or none, as is the case with many classes). The Jock starts with the ability to charge until he runs into something.

The wrestler starts with the ability to pick up objects and throw them.

These two abilities cannot be combined.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2018, 02:33:07 pm »

What you can do, however, is take a giantizing pill and then utilize the charge to smash through otherwise indestructible terrain... Including the map edge.

I think there used to be some stupidity you could pull off with using a kill ammunizer along with a water pistol loaded with cyanide, but I'm pretty sure that got patched out. Cyanide squirtgun is still capable of instantly killing the "invulnerable" killbot that hunts you on some levels though.

While it's hardly an "optimal" class, I still really enjoy playing as a hacker. At least for the first few levels, until inevitably getting murdered by something.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2018, 06:29:19 am »

Saints Row 2

So far I like it better than the third one, there seems to be more stuff to do, more things going on, there just seems like there's more of everything.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2018, 06:46:09 am »

Drawception. Just Drawception.
Bought Foxhole yesterday (or was it the day before?) and played it a bit, but it's weird and hard to learn and it doesn't run very well on this laptop.
Ack. May have wasted $17, but at least it was on sale...   

These two abilities cannot be combined.
Aw, sad. Thanks for clarifying.   
While it's hardly an "optimal" class, I still really enjoy playing as a hacker. At least for the first few levels, until inevitably getting murdered by something.
Hacking is kinda fun even in the version I have, despite being pretty useless.
Comedian is always my favourite class, though! Even if dragging a large enough audience around makes my computer chug pretty hard...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hotfire90

« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2018, 07:57:40 am »

Celeste, I'm currently busy completing the last B-side and then collecting the last few remaining strawberries.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 15, 2018, 09:08:23 am »

Smash, which we really need a thread for. Simon and Ridley are gold. Absolute gold.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 17, 2018, 01:47:50 am »

Celeste, I'm currently busy completing the last B-side and then collecting the last few remaining strawberries.

And here I am, trying to suppress my irritation enough to go back and complete The Summit...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 17, 2018, 05:50:48 pm »

seeking to wide my experience with Idle/Clicker games i started looking for some of them that could fill the itch the same way Cookie Clicker has done to me for a few months/years. there's some cool ones out there but most of the time i see them lacking in the art department.

im currently going with Crush Crush, i've never done dating simulators either so its pretty, exotic for my tastes. Elle gotta be my favourite girl so far, i guess its because i've gotten used to read manga, romantic stuff and the like...

i also played some Realm Grinder, my only complain is the lack of diversity regarding the scenery. like, yeah you only get 1 out of 3 possible backgrounds and the faction buildings are mostly the same. i wish there was an actual visual for every faction they add.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2018, 06:07:52 pm »

Yeah, there are only a handful of good incremental games with anywhere near as much visual polish as Cookie Clicker. Off the top of my head, the only ones I remember that both have good visuals and gameplay that isn't either bland or a clone of another game are SPACEPLAN and Idle Wizard. And the truly excellent ones are so visually minimalistic that they make Realm Grinder look like a AAA game by comparison :P
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 17, 2018, 06:13:50 pm »

The Wrinkly Ones bide their time...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 100