Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1082362 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

I have to make the assumption that the beta for veterans will start sometime after this free month of PS1. Otherwise, what would be the point of having it?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The external beta's going to be (initially) a linear sequence of scares playtests, with progressively more people invited each time, from the sounds of it, rather than a constantly running beta, if that was your impression.

See http://www.planetside2.com/news/june-2012-producers-letter-beta
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to make the assumption that the beta for veterans will start sometime after this free month of PS1. Otherwise, what would be the point of having it?
I'm betting they'll have moved most or all of the vets into beta before the 30 days are up.  The free time is likely a holding pattern intended to keep the core hype from withering in the interim between E3 (where their profile exploded) and the start of beta.  It will also likely ease the tension over the beta not accepting everyone at once and having large periods of downtime.

I'd say that so far PS2 has been an excellent case study in marketing and consumer relations in video games.  Apart from the god-awful Facebook app likely mandated by some suit at SOE that will only be used to scam upgrades and station cash, they've managed to skyrocket to popularity while managing their few gaffes and not making many enemies.  They also seem able to understand that their core fanbase is not a landed gentry or intelligentsia to be executed to make way for the "CoD audience" but rather the single strongest element of their PR arm.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:03:37 pm by Microcline »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm really surprised by how packed the servers have been since the free play started, considering that it's only former subscribers. Everyone playing PS1 again should be SOE's #1 target market and I think they realize that.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It says my Planetside pass is ''Pending'' and has 45 days on it, but clicking on Planetside just takes me to the buy time page.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

It says my Planetside pass is ''Pending'' and has 45 days on it, but clicking on Planetside just takes me to the buy time page.
Really? I went to http://planetside.station.sony.com/, and then just downloaded the game via the button (topleft).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That page won't display for me. Although, I found a reinstall button in tiny text in the shop page, so it's all good.

Oh, it's a video page. Yeah, my firefox is buggered and won't play any sort of video media.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:47:21 pm by Xanatos Jr. »
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They just did a bit of a parade thing. Marched, all three sides together, from 4 different warp gates to the closest base to them. Then everyone orbital striked the courtyard of the base. People said some words and then it was over. Relatively civil, actually.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Logged on and was getting disconnect message every 30 seconds because of how the server was so overtaxed, sad I missed it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

That page won't display for me. Although, I found a reinstall button in tiny text in the shop page, so it's all good.

Oh, it's a video page. Yeah, my firefox is buggered and won't play any sort of video media.
What version is it?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Random suggestion: I propose that we adopt the philosophy that infantry kills retail, artillery wholesale, assuming the game has some decent long ranged artillery platforms. Nothing like heavy bombardment to say hello to our foes.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

infantry kills retail, artillery wholesale

So the artillery are... cheaper and can be bought in bulk? I don't get it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm honestly not sure how PS2 will handle it in the end, but since buildings seem more or less to be invincible. Artillery is a lot less effective if the enemy can just hide inside the walls until the attackers give up and storm in after them. It could be somewhat effective at keeping out resupply efforts, if there's the same sort of ANT system as in PS1 but still not perfect nor as effective as other means. Planetside really has been about getting up in the enemy's face. Anything long range usually has severe limitations, easy counters, or special purpose use.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile

infantry kills retail, artillery wholesale

So the artillery are... cheaper and can be bought in bulk? I don't get it.
Artillery kills people in bulk.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

So which one killed the Radio Star? Armor?
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 826