Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1085709 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6240 on: February 22, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »

Heh heh heh... I was on the bridge near the crown in a lightning armed with the AA turret, firing away at planes as they passed to and from the crown. After a few minutes I realize I hear this 'tat tat tat tat tat' sound. I look around and see two LA and an infiltrator all shooting me with small arms. Obviously they're doing no damage, but it struck me as funny because I don't think they realized I had the AA machinegun. I swiveled across all three going batatatatatata and they died.

Why even stop to shoot me if you have no AT weapons?
As a HA, if I've C4'd you, but have run out of rockets, I will; mostly because at that point I'm dead anyway and would at least like to make a point of the fact that if I had more ammo you would be dead. :P

On a more practical note, taunting tanks can be used to distract them from, say, a friendly tank coming up over a ridge. Helping out the team and all that. So long as you can avoid their fire (not too difficult really), it's a decent enough tactic. Or alternatively, to distract them from the aircraft flying around overhead.
Yeah, but.. nothing else was around. They were clearly a small strike team heading to our base on the other side of the bridge, but instead of passing by quietly while I wasn't looking they all three started shooting me, drawing my attention to 3 easy kills which I then took and went back to shooting down lolgalaxies with terrible pilots.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #6241 on: February 22, 2013, 09:11:24 pm »

So long as you can avoid their fire (not too difficult really), it's a decent enough tactic. Or alternatively, to distract them from the aircraft flying around overhead.
How in the world is dodging tank fire "not too hard"? PS2 has some of the largest blast radii for tank rounds in any FPS I've ever played. It's almost impossible for tanks to miss you.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6242 on: February 22, 2013, 09:14:27 pm »

So long as you can avoid their fire (not too difficult really), it's a decent enough tactic. Or alternatively, to distract them from the aircraft flying around overhead.
How in the world is dodging tank fire "not too hard"? PS2 has some of the largest blast radii for tank rounds in any FPS I've ever played. It's almost impossible for tanks to miss you.
Also I'd like to point out again that I was in what is essentially a big goddamn machinegun turret and they were within spitting distance. The skyguard tears the shit out of infantry if they're that close, and has over 1000 rounds of ammo. There is no way this was going well for them.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:22 pm »

On matherson we (NC) nearly warpgated the VS thanks to their server population being low all the time. Then TR rolls up and takes the whole goddamn map. Geez can't we play with the VS for once.

EDIT: skygaurd is just about the most amazing thing you can put on a lightning. Especially when you're fighting TR, its sweet sweet justice when you can counter their mizzie spam.

To quote a TAS guy "Why do they keep spawning air when they know they'll get shot up?"

I also recently discovered how awesome the Gauss SAW is, and tank mines, I bought the tank mines, and I got a couple sunderers with em. :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:46:40 pm by darkrider2 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: February 22, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »

Nothing like killing a full sundy with mines to put a smile on your face.

Does anyone know how often SOE will rotate the WG's?

Pretty sure it's monthly.  Which means soon TR will have the crappy WG on Indar.  I'd hate to see fewer Indar Excavation fights, but at least we (NC) will stay on the west half of the map, which beats the crap out of the east half of Indar.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: February 22, 2013, 10:06:39 pm »

Also I'd like to point out again that I was in what is essentially a big goddamn machinegun turret and they were within spitting distance. The skyguard tears the shit out of infantry if they're that close, and has over 1000 rounds of ammo. There is no way this was going well for them.

Also note that as of the recent patches it's damned near impossibly to get a kill with a single shot, unless you direct-impact them. I actually pull my Skyguard over my HE Lightning for anti-infantry work now, because I've gotten sick of seeing nothing but hitmarkers from shots that by all rights should have been lethal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: February 22, 2013, 10:11:25 pm »

That's assuming they can draw a bead on you. As an infantry, unless you're running around in the open like a dumbass as a tank rolls by, you can quite easily play cat and mouse extremely successfully. In particular, you can hear a tank coming long before it can see you (again, unless you're being stupid running around in the middle of the street). By the time a tank driver knows you exist, it should already have c4 on its back bumper and a rocket inbound. Or at least that's if you're trying to kill it. Otherwise, the trick is to stay mostly hidden. They have large explosive range, true, but it's really easy to just give them no idea where you fired from, and if they do, to be long gone by the time they fire back. By dodging, in this case, I don't mean literally jumping around and such, I mean using the infantry's advantage of agility and sneakiness. Poke a tank with a non AP-gun, it will turn to face the direction you shot it from. It will then either guess at a place the gunfire came from and fire, or more likely, just watch for a few seconds before turning back to what it was doing. And again, unless you have no cover at all, you're really quite safe since they can't exactly drive the tank into a building and chase you up the stairs with it. :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6247 on: February 22, 2013, 10:15:35 pm »

That's assuming they can draw a bead on you. As an infantry, unless you're running around in the open like a dumbass as a tank rolls by, you can quite easily play cat and mouse extremely successfully. In particular, you can hear a tank coming long before it can see you (again, unless you're being stupid running around in the middle of the street). By the time a tank driver knows you exist, it should already have c4 on its back bumper and a rocket inbound. Or at least that's if you're trying to kill it. Otherwise, the trick is to stay mostly hidden. They have large explosive range, true, but it's really easy to just give them no idea where you fired from, and if they do, to be long gone by the time they fire back. By dodging, in this case, I don't mean literally jumping around and such, I mean using the infantry's advantage of agility and sneakiness. Poke a tank with a non AP-gun, it will turn to face the direction you shot it from. It will then either guess at a place the gunfire came from and fire, or more likely, just watch for a few seconds before turning back to what it was doing. And again, unless you have no cover at all, you're really quite safe since they can't exactly drive the tank into a building and chase you up the stairs with it. :P
Amusingly, the thermal scope for tank turrets makes infantry light up like big green targets. Easy as pie to spot, even through smoke/fog/foliage. I was called a hacker because I kept shooting some guys hiding behind tree leaves and getting kills.

Its not cheating, its just a thermal scope.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: February 22, 2013, 10:17:18 pm »

The thermal scope, much like your avatar, is pretty awesome.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: February 22, 2013, 10:45:45 pm »

Wait, you can guide the drop pod somewhat on your way down using WASD?

How come nobody told me this?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:47 pm »

You can also land on tanks, planes, or anything else and crush it to death. Right now my drop pods have a tank kill and a max kill.

Question/Poll: I was thinking how satisfying those drop pod kills were, and then I wondered. What kill did you guys get the most satisfaction out of? Was it the headshot from across the valley...or perhaps the lightning you killed all by yourself outside the base?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6251 on: February 22, 2013, 11:08:37 pm »

You can also land on tanks, planes, or anything else and crush it to death. Right now my drop pods have a tank kill and a max kill.

Question/Poll: I was thinking how satisfying those drop pod kills were, and then I wondered. What kill did you guys get the most satisfaction out of? Was it the headshot from across the valley...or perhaps the lightning you killed all by yourself outside the base?

Definitely charging into a gang of enemies hugging a sundy, chucking mines under it, and walking calmly away from the explosion while wearing sunglasses (Like all NC troops).
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: February 22, 2013, 11:10:51 pm »

Definitely charging into a gang of enemies hugging a sundy, chucking mines under it, and walking calmly away from the explosion while wearing sunglasses (Like all NC troops).

For me it was circling around a NC held base in my Prowler and pulling behind them to find what must have been 15 NC using a small ridge as a cover. And not ONE of them had been watching the flanks. Ooooooh that was a good day.

But seriously, people neglect to watch the flanks so often it gets sad. XD

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:43 pm »

Bailing out of a Lib after setting it on a collision course for a burning Vanguard. If only I had had time to turn away from the explosion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: February 22, 2013, 11:33:57 pm »

Taking out libs with a drop pod is pretty awesome, but probably the time I killed three sundies with mines in two minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 826