Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1082338 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8805 on: December 09, 2013, 04:14:53 am »

You can hit Alt+f to see fps in game.

I use the GD-22 instead of the SAW on heavy. It's only 100 certs and it's recoil is much more manageable. It feels pretty general purpose and it seems from the stats that the GD-22 is better while moving and aiming down the sight whereas the SAW is made for aiming down the scope while crouching or stationary. It's no Orion as far as adad while aiming, but the GD-22 seems pretty acceptable at both short to mid range without being one of the best at either. I use flash suppressor, grip, and 4x truesight scope.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: December 09, 2013, 05:28:27 am »

Just noticed something funny.
Hitting vehicles with the grenade launcher ALWAYS does full damage even at ranges where the nade does not explode.
Of course that's still 10 grenades to the rear of an lightening to kill it BUT at least you can do it from point blank.

It always does the same damage to vehicles, not full.

Explosive damage in PS2 has two components; direct hit and splash/explosive. Most vehicles are immune to most splash damage (obvious exceptions are tank mines, C4 and flak). Generally, hitting an enemy tank with any projectile will do damage based purely off the direct hit damage times any modifiers (armour and damage type,

Yeah but it's not really intuitive that the tiny grenade that BOUNCES off the armor actually does damage similar to some MAX AV weapons (with none of the RoF but it's not an AV weapon to begin with).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8807 on: December 09, 2013, 07:59:39 am »

I don't get why people are able to have perfect accuracy in the game and I can't. Other games are fine, but planet side seems to like to add in that extra recoil on automatics and make all snipers drunk unless they hold their breath, which they can do for about 3 seconds. Maybe it;s the FPS, but I have my settings down to the lowest and no way to check my FPS. And everyone else seems to have perfect aim, and be able to kill a heavy with mesh armor on in 3 shots, where as my SAW takes about 10 to take out a light infantry.

Are there just flat out better items in this game?

Yeah, I get that too. Being an engi and pouring 40 bullets into an unaware meshed heavy should do the job just fine, but it didn't. And there's literally nothing I can do to maxes that would let me take them on - unless they're approaching from a long distance away, I can't get the damage high enough with my MANA turret to take them out, in which case a cloaker is probably about to headshot me.
I've been oneshot from full health as an engi before too, with a shotgun- but not in close quarters, no sirree.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: December 09, 2013, 08:01:35 am »

You can headshot people with slugs in the shotgun, but that's a 2-shot kill...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: December 09, 2013, 08:14:18 am »

Maxes are quite strong, inside a base that limits ground vehicles and has buildings to hide from aircraft the best way to deal with them is to have more maxes on your side. One exception is to be a class with C4 above where they will be moving. Tank mines also work. Anti Vehicle grenades do a lot of damage to them as well, but they take forever to explode and more importantly are not sticky, but they work very well if the max doesn't run off (isn't an aware ZOE user) and you can land a rocket in addition. Unfortunately quite often against an organized squad all a max kill results in is progress towards another cert point and the max being revived five seconds after you pull that off unless you managed one of those moments where you killed enough of the enemy team that they can't push forward to revive, and your team can force them to release to the sunderer or spawn room to regroup.

Sometimes I think it would be cool if people stood up in the class they switched to max from when they are revived, but I don't know if that would be a good change or not. It would make Maxes a lot less durable that's for sure. Maybe maxes could be revived by a medic and an engineer before they can get up in the max suit; if revived by medic alone they could stand up as a normal class.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:21:42 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:57 am »

I don't get why people are able to have perfect accuracy in the game and I can't. Other games are fine, but planet side seems to like to add in that extra recoil on automatics and make all snipers drunk unless they hold their breath, which they can do for about 3 seconds. Maybe it;s the FPS, but I have my settings down to the lowest and no way to check my FPS. And everyone else seems to have perfect aim, and be able to kill a heavy with mesh armor on in 3 shots, where as my SAW takes about 10 to take out a light infantry.

This is why people don't want the SAW to be the default NC LMG- it really needs to be decked out with adv foregrip and compensator to be effective.

Aren't regular rounds in the pump shotguns OHK headshots when all pellets hit?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: December 09, 2013, 10:38:25 am »

Maxes are quite strong, inside a base that limits ground vehicles and has buildings to hide from aircraft the best way to deal with them is to have more maxes on your side. One exception is to be a class with C4 above where they will be moving. Tank mines also work. Anti Vehicle grenades do a lot of damage to them as well, but they take forever to explode and more importantly are not sticky, but they work very well if the max doesn't run off (isn't an aware ZOE user) and you can land a rocket in addition. Unfortunately quite often against an organized squad all a max kill results in is progress towards another cert point and the max being revived five seconds after you pull that off unless you managed one of those moments where you killed enough of the enemy team that they can't push forward to revive, and your team can force them to release to the sunderer or spawn room to regroup.

Sometimes I think it would be cool if people stood up in the class they switched to max from when they are revived, but I don't know if that would be a good change or not. It would make Maxes a lot less durable that's for sure. Maybe maxes could be revived by a medic and an engineer before they can get up in the max suit; if revived by medic alone they could stand up as a normal class.

Maxes can be revived by medics, but even a fully certed medic will only get a MAX up on 50% first bar.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: December 09, 2013, 11:55:07 am »

Aren't regular rounds in the pump shotguns OHK headshots when all pellets hit?
Yes, they're even OHK bodyshots when all pellets hit.

He said, however, he was being hit from not-close range, which is why I brought  that up. I'm not sure about pump-slugs, but I know that slugs do less damage than pellets for sure.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8813 on: December 09, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »

Slugs from pump up shotguns to the head are oneshot kills at short range (not sure about medium-long but i assume they can oneshot at medium range as well.)
Pumps also oneshot with pellets to the torso in CqC.
Self promotion below.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: December 09, 2013, 01:50:55 pm »

A clever trick with MAXes is to throw a tank mine on top of an AP mine.  The combined explosion should do them in.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: December 09, 2013, 02:50:22 pm »

A clever trick with MAXes is to throw a tank mine on top of an AP mine.  The combined explosion should do them in.
Can you even carry both types at the same time?
(Tell me you can because i would love to do it)
Self promotion below.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: December 09, 2013, 02:50:44 pm »

No, but if you're in an organized squad, that's not a problem.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: December 09, 2013, 03:42:52 pm »

This is why people don't want the SAW to be the default NC LMG- it really needs to be decked out with adv foregrip and compensator to be effective.

Nope. I used to do that, but then I discovered the LaserSAW. Its 130 certs to kit out, instead of 330. Here's what you add, NS/NV scope (or a scope of your choosing), and laser sight, that's it! You can hipfire with and it works, if you're still not sold, its like turning into rambo. Even one 400 damage headshot in a hipfire-spray 1v1 fight basically means you just won the engagement.

Now here's why I said add the NS/NV scope, the NS/NV scope and sniper scopes are the only scopes to report the center of the screen at all times, while moving, jumping, crouch animation, jetpacking, whatever. Please watch this informational video.

Why is this? Because the reflex dots are just attached to the models, while the NS/NV and sniper scopes are their own UI (and why ctrl+F10 removes them completely while scoped).

Honestly, I hate the NS/NV scope, its ugly, looks atrocious on every gun, and doesn't look cool in recorded video. But my aim with it is just that much better.

In my own opinion, the GD-22S should have been our default starter gun, it doesn't have any ammo-mod options, just like the starter guns of every other empire, its very easy to control and works decently in close quarters.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: December 09, 2013, 04:43:33 pm »

Interesting, I always did feel like I was a better shot with the thermals.

Too bad thermals look like arse now and make everything bright.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: December 09, 2013, 05:18:08 pm »

The lack of actual parallax on parallax sights in games like these has always bothered me, if you look at ARMA 3 they added proper parallax sights that function like they do in the realities. Most games cheese it by painting a little dot on the glass, which is why you can see them even while unscoped and looking down at your gun. It is pretty dumb. The parallax is one of the major advantages those kinds of sights have over iron sights.

As for being able to hit things... I'm just not a good shot...
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 826