Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124586 times)

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3210 on: December 01, 2010, 03:48:40 pm »

Today I realized that my fortress entrance has a distinctive phallic shape... and when I activate the drowning trap it looks like it's urinating. It wasn't intentional, I swear!
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Captain Insano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: December 01, 2010, 05:27:19 pm »

I just accidentally let my goblin prisoners go without forbidding the doors to the prison.  >:(
"Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM*

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: December 01, 2010, 05:49:45 pm »

Spent about 45 minutes with the game paused designating a huge single story bedroom design, making sure to be several levels below my workshops.
then i unpaused...
You have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground.
i barely got 3 squares away from my staircase  :'(

The best way to avoid those is to dig exploratory shafts down on all four corners, on the sides and in the centre (in a Chaos star shape). After the place is sufficiently explored, designate away.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

languard

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: December 01, 2010, 08:21:50 pm »

Experimenting around with channeling away the earth to form an above ground fortress out of rock that use to be underground.  Forgot that I had dug out an area for storage, and started channeling away an edge.  "A section of the cavern had collapsed!"  All three miners are now down a pit, one with a broken upper/lower right arm, wrist and lung, and the other with both upper/lower parts broken on both legs.  And one just knocked out.

*facepalm*

Then all three get up and get back to work on channeling  :o  Including the guy with multiple fractures on his leg.
He's now moping around, doing Armok knows what. As far as I can tell he's just going to stay there, in the party room. Forever.
Given our relationship thus far, I can genuinely say the party has just begun for me. - Captain Mayday,

Mattpoppybros

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrible at this game... My fort won't die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:17 pm »

Okay, so as a newbie, I finally (after 2 worlds and 5 fortresses on the second world) figured out everything needed to run a fort. Thankfully no Fun has occurred yet (but plenty of ordinary fun).

Then I sent my two man wrestler army (which I had told to pick up weapons. Which I know we have) to go kill deer. And only deer.
UristMcFailhunter cancels hunt small creature: Interrupted by Deer

Two questions, urist! WHY ARE YOU HUNTING SMALL CREATURES, AND HOW DOES A DEER, WHICH I TOLD YOU TO KILL, INTERRUPT THAT?

Unless, you know, it was a message telling me he stopped being useless.

If so, selffacepalm

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: December 02, 2010, 04:42:28 am »

They start hunting small creatures when they get hungry. You know, so they don't starve to death, even though they end up doing that anyway.

So, essentially, your two dwarves have gone out to the deer, realised that they were starving to death, started scrounging around for mice or whatever, and then gotten interrupted by the deer. Which is weird, because any normal person would then kill the deer and eat it, but I guess that's dwarves for you.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: December 02, 2010, 10:58:46 am »

My worst was forgetting for a second that water can movel diagonally and flooding my entire fortress >:(

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: December 02, 2010, 03:55:45 pm »

I probably shouldn't have sent my ENTIRE militia down to kill a FB with deadly dust. I now have 30 blind soldiers.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: December 03, 2010, 02:54:33 pm »

Biggest face palm... Let's see.... I once tried to build a castle, I had to make a bunch of new walls because a mason was stuck on the walls. I also made and ramp so he could get down. And the whole thing went directly into the heart of the fort. Anyway, I set everything to be built/destroyed. When I look again there are goblins using that same ramp to get into my fort. And to this day I still don't know why they didn't build that wall..... (Sigh.)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: December 03, 2010, 05:04:39 pm »

Arena mode : I constructed a realistic army (large amount of crsbdwrvs supporting skirmishers (no shield spearmen with leather armor) and heavy infantry (normal full armored in iron dwarf)) against a BC. I forgot to switch them from independent to #1. *Facepalm*
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Skald

• Bay Watcher
  • Longbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: December 03, 2010, 06:32:46 pm »

The Woodlands of Lemming Killing

Which is a fancy way to say that my invasion killing magma trap turned a good fourth of my current embark into a constantly burning grasslands. Which despite my efforts to quench (I waited until the first blaze wiped the map clean, and then followed up with multiple pumps from the rive) still catches on fire randomly.

I lost about 30 dwarfs who randomly ran outside to scavenge and bury each other. After they finally got everything they wanted, they went back inside, and I thought things were done.

They weren't.

Minor fires kept flaring back up (For no reason) and killing immigrant waves who ALWAYS SPAWN ON THAT CORNER OF THE MAP. So now I keep getting waves of around 20 dwarf immigrants, most of who die of blood loss after having all of their fat burn off.

Armok Damn it.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: December 03, 2010, 07:30:16 pm »

Im not sure if this works in the new version, but back in 40d designating farm plots to be built (just suspend before a dwarf has a chance to come out) will cause the ground beneath the designation to furrow after a couple of seconds, with no vegitation growing there  the fire stops.  I had to use this method once with an above ground fort that had (an eventually) named imp with a vendeta against deer.

I dont know if this will work in the 2010 version or not but placing these plots a few tiles away from the fires should work.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: December 03, 2010, 08:37:47 pm »

Ditches also block fire, I'm pretty sure.

Captain Insano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: December 03, 2010, 09:09:08 pm »

I accidentally breached HFS... While having reveal on. I'm an idiot.

So. Is it possible to flood it with magma?

Also. Can you still mine out walls that are smoothed/fortified/engraved?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:41:20 pm by Captain Insano »
"Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM*

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: December 03, 2010, 09:49:54 pm »

Yes on both, but clowns are immune to magma, I'm pretty sure.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 729