Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124557 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4500 on: May 22, 2011, 07:26:43 pm »

So I am facing a mass dehydration in my fortress because I cant get any wood to make barrels during an invasion. I decide that Im probably going to lose the fort anyways, so I send my two legendary axedwarves to stand behind my drawbridge and prepare to make a heroic last stand.

I pull the lever...

...and the bridge atom-smashes the two dwarfs and the invaders kill my fort

... you know you can make pots, functional equivalents of barrels, out of stone, right?

Facepalm part 2

Facepalm part three

This guy is joking, right?

er, no, no he's not. You do so at the craftsdorf's shop. Also, I wasn't aware of this until pretty recently myself, so there's that, too.

Oh. Oh God... Oh God I feel stupid now... How am I only now finding out about this?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: May 23, 2011, 06:16:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
er, no, no he's not. You do so at the craftsdorf's shop. Also, I wasn't aware of this until pretty recently myself, so there's that, too.

Oh. Oh God... Oh God I feel stupid now... How am I only now finding out about this?
It's only been in since 31.x came out.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: May 23, 2011, 06:44:44 am »

Even more recent than that. Came in with bees, IIRC.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: May 23, 2011, 04:28:13 pm »

Well, fuck. I had a fortress with no real weapon-grade ore, only tetrahedrite (okay, silver is good, but copper sucks for armour), aluminium and gold ores. The first ambush(es), two of them, appeared and easily just rubbed out nine of my 18 militia. Usually I even have smaller militia with much more success. I'm abandoning this one; the first time I've seen the 'your strength has been broken' screen. Gobdammit.

Edit; only after abandoning did I realize I destroyed a legendary carpenter, a legendary engraver, four legendary miners, a legendary soaper (!), and a legendary wood burner. I normally never have that many at 60 Dwarfs. Oh well, new fort tomorrow. I should sleep now to be able to be on time for work.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:30:33 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: May 23, 2011, 08:42:39 pm »

Well awhail back I had knighted a dwarf, Sir Lanceolot. I had what I belived decked him in full adamite includeing a cloak for his knighthood. Right before he was equiping the complete set (Bracers and Boots) we were attacked, In the heat of the moment I sent him out. Then I learned that dwarfs can get their hands, And feet chopped off and die.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

snoopychicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: May 23, 2011, 09:32:17 pm »

Today was the first time I got a fort past 1 year. I had a metal industry, a good militia (I suck at military) and was doing really well.
My wife came in as I was finishing up and I got distracted amd abandoned fort instead of save.  :(

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: May 23, 2011, 11:03:09 pm »

So I am facing a mass dehydration in my fortress because I cant get any wood to make barrels during an invasion. I decide that Im probably going to lose the fort anyways, so I send my two legendary axedwarves to stand behind my drawbridge and prepare to make a heroic last stand.

I pull the lever...

...and the bridge atom-smashes the two dwarfs and the invaders kill my fort

... you know you can make pots, functional equivalents of barrels, out of stone, right?

Facepalm part 2

Facepalm part three

This guy is joking, right?

Its new as of the last couple of releases. Pots fwere first implemened a couple of months ago, so if you're playing an older version or haven't been reading the development notes it makes sense that you'd be unaware of it.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: May 23, 2011, 11:15:37 pm »

Oh, I have a new one.

I think I can count this one as 'logical progression'.

Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: May 23, 2011, 11:48:25 pm »

Those are some very nice squads you have there.
Have you drafted your bookkeeper into the Papers?

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: May 24, 2011, 03:33:33 am »

I had one hundred and ninety two dwarves. Long story short, big siege, I have twenty left. I had anticipated a bad tantrum spiral to finish them off. ...As it turns out, none of them like anyone except the other survivors anyway. So now I'm stuck with a tremendous fort that they aren't numerous enough to keep up properly, no one wants to migrate cause the place is a death hole, and I have a huge number of ghosts because I can't get together enough sarcophagi for my dead dwarves (in retrospect, when I had planned a large catacomb, I should've actually done it).

Shawtay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: May 24, 2011, 06:29:20 am »

Note to self: don't try and make a well using a lake, and underground tunnels when your miner is your expedition leader and the outpost liaison is following him. Drowned both a legendary miner and the liaison. I wonder what's gunna happen...
He likes the color green, metals, flowers, olivine, and rain for its beauty. When possible, he prefers to consume tea. He absolutely detests social interaction.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: May 24, 2011, 12:17:47 pm »

I had one hundred and ninety two dwarves. Long story short, big siege, I have twenty left. I had anticipated a bad tantrum spiral to finish them off. ...As it turns out, none of them like anyone except the other survivors anyway. So now I'm stuck with a tremendous fort that they aren't numerous enough to keep up properly, no one wants to migrate cause the place is a death hole, and I have a huge number of ghosts because I can't get together enough sarcophagi for my dead dwarves (in retrospect, when I had planned a large catacomb, I should've actually done it).
Did you know that "Sarcophagus" means "Flesh Eater"? The greeks called the stone Sarcophagi "lithos sarkophagos" meaning "Stone flesh eater". So you're technically feeding the dead to stone flesheaters
 8)

[/nerdom]

Amun-Ra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:12 pm »

I decided that on the top floor of my tower, a portion on the floor wasn't made of the right stone. I decided to deconstruct a portion of the floor and make the part I didn't like collapse to the floor below.

Little did I know, the falling floor would break the floor below it... and below that one... and below that one... going on for five floors, killing seven dwarves (including my legendary +5 engraver) and wrecking my tower. On top of that, the cave in reached underground as well, breaking away a flood gate, flooding a lower portion of my fortress.

FFFFFFfffff.....

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: May 24, 2011, 02:21:45 pm »

Make 10 masons and 10 craftdwarves. Crank out and engrave 92 slabs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: May 24, 2011, 02:51:20 pm »

I've just been brutally reminded why I hated macaques so much. A flock of nine came by. I quickly put my woodworkers (two woodcutters and a carpenter) and my hunter in militia and set them up. One of the woodcutter flew off in anger and slaughtered three of the bitches, I then let the woodsdorfs out of the militia. My hunter went off after one of them and another one pinched the ONLY crossbow I have.  >:(

Five macaques lie dead and only one of them is still in my area.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 729