Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124561 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7860 on: August 03, 2013, 05:11:01 am »

All footwear is generated in pairs, it's just that 'high boot' or 'metal high boot' assigns just a _single_ boot instead of a pair (or the dwarfs attempt to put both boots on the same foot?). Assigning 'high boot' or whatever twice, or two specific boots, solves the problem.

Properly equipping military is always a problem:
Human McOverseer: Here, Urist, these are your military-issue metal boots. You can put them on now.
Urist McMilitarydwarf: Put... them... on?
Human: ...on your feet.
Urist: But i'm already on my feet.
Human: No, you take the boots, and stick your feet in them.
Urist: Can you use smaller numbers? I have trouble counting so high.
Human: Look. Here - points at boot- Boot. Here -points at Urist's right foot- Foot. Foot goes in boot. Make it happen.
Urist -puts boot on right foot- : wow, awesome! I don't feel barefoot anymore! But only on my right foot. Whatever shall i do with my left?
Human: Arrrgh! Just stick it in your mouth!
Urist -does so- : Hmmm, why does it taste like foot in my mouth?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: August 03, 2013, 05:17:42 am »

Annnd, another one, but in my defense I'm not usually so specific about uniforms.

So, you know when you make cloth/leather shoes , you make them in pairs?

Yeah, you don't with metal high boots.  Dang near started a riot over naked hairy feet.

All footwears and handwears are made in pairs, even metal ones. Assignments are a bit wonky sometimes, though, so it don't looks like it, especially if there're multiple layers of either assigned. It seem to works fine if it's only gauntlets or high boots replacing clothings ( might also works if it's set before socks? ).

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: August 03, 2013, 05:35:31 am »

Well, I had some dorfs with two masterwork steel boots, and some with one.  Maybe they stole from each other?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: August 03, 2013, 04:30:04 pm »

Automata, I may have found the discrepency...

While boots may or may not be made in pairs (I'm still trying to catch my armorsmith in the act), they can apparently not always be made at the same quality if they do.  I have 19 boots here of masterwork quality:

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: August 03, 2013, 04:34:49 pm »

Automata, I may have found the discrepency...

While boots may or may not be made in pairs (I'm still trying to catch my armorsmith in the act), they can apparently not always be made at the same quality if they do.  I have 19 boots here of masterwork quality:

Yep, it's the way for everything made in batch, even custom reactions that produces batches have issues with every product being possibly of different quality. I had overproduction of masterwork left gauntlet in my current fortress :D

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with equipping, though, my dwarves happily equip differing quality gears, or even different materials, when allowed.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: August 03, 2013, 05:16:49 pm »

All footwear is generated in pairs, it's just that 'high boot' or 'metal high boot' assigns just a _single_ boot instead of a pair (or the dwarfs attempt to put both boots on the same foot?). Assigning 'high boot' or whatever twice, or two specific boots, solves the problem.
All footwears and handwears are made in pairs, even metal ones. Assignments are a bit wonky sometimes, though, so it don't looks like it, especially if there're multiple layers of either assigned. It seem to works fine if it's only gauntlets or high boots replacing clothings ( might also works if it's set before socks? ).

What, really? They're forged in pairs? I've been doing the exact opposite, forge two boots per uniform and assign only a single boot apparently via uniform.

I'm now applying palm directly to the face.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: August 03, 2013, 06:43:12 pm »

What, really? They're forged in pairs? I've been doing the exact opposite, forge two boots per uniform and assign only a single boot apparently via uniform.
NOW that's some overproduction and underutility.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #7867 on: August 04, 2013, 12:14:50 am »

Wondering why my alpaca died.

Then realizing that my other two animals were starving.

And realizing that this game had implemented grazing in the two years since I played it last.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:54 pm »

My face palm is systemic...  I look back at my DF skills a year ago and I think, "Man, you really didn't know what you were doing."

Now, I look at the state of my play and I think, "Man, you really don't know what you are doing."

Then I wonder why I'm so stupid...

:o
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:40:33 pm by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: August 05, 2013, 12:12:22 am »

You wonder why you are stupid because you are awake. Everyone who is awake recognizes how stupid we are. Dwarf Fortress has taught you a painful lesson about reality. Congratulations, my friend.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: August 05, 2013, 12:33:42 am »

Goblin ambush, squad of hammergoblins. I enable every alarm so my Civ stays inside and my marksdwarves get on the walls overlooking the bridge. Suddenly I see one marksdwarf charging out of my fort with a "station" command. No chance to get him back, he gets slaughtered. Then, I see another one, I check my station command. Everything is okay, but he keeps running outside. So I decide to station my 3 marksdwarf squads to run outside to help him. Oh well, the goblins are dead. But I've lost 5 good marksdwarves to a combination of human and dwarven stupidity.

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: August 05, 2013, 09:02:25 am »

I spent ages and ages setting up an elaborate cave-in trap for some forgotten beast that had been wandering around my caverns for the best part of two years. I open the gates, ready the trap, have some soldiers on hand, just in case, and what happens? A second forgotten beast shows up, and this one can fly (and breathe fire). It flies through the opening I made for the trap, attacks my army from behind, and distracts me long enough for the other one to walk under the trap and into the fortress.

Fire and poison filled battle ensues on the stairs. By the end of it I've lost 7 soldiers and a baby. Also I've got a giant cave-in trap sitting there, ready to spring on nothing.

Ugh.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: August 05, 2013, 10:12:37 am »

I spent ages and ages setting up an elaborate cave-in trap for some forgotten beast that had been wandering around my caverns for the best part of two years. I open the gates, ready the trap, have some soldiers on hand, just in case, and what happens? A second forgotten beast shows up, and this one can fly (and breathe fire). It flies through the opening I made for the trap, attacks my army from behind, and distracts me long enough for the other one to walk under the trap and into the fortress.

Fire and poison filled battle ensues on the stairs. By the end of it I've lost 7 soldiers and a baby. Also I've got a giant cave-in trap sitting there, ready to spring on nothing.

Ugh.

Best laid plans of dwarves and men...clearly the flying one was waiting for you to build the trap before springing his own....they are in cahoots.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: August 06, 2013, 10:45:31 am »

In my forts, I try to set up a hands-off silk farm, where I can just let it run with no further input from me. I've perfected the fluid-logic timers to open and close the relevant floodgates and drawbridges, so this time I decided to get fancy.

To wit: I set up two displays of sorts, so that I can see not only how full the timer-tank is, but also which way the water level is going - up or down. These displays are made of hatch covers made of materials coloured noticeably different from the floors beneath them.

The facepalm - the realisation that I hooked up the arrow backwards. It indicates a draining tank when the tank is filling, and a filling tank when draining.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7874 on: August 06, 2013, 07:45:05 pm »

Do you know how much leather can fit on your second trade caravan if you set all requests to maximum?

Neither do I, I guess I am about halfway through the list.  I'm about up to 30% of the value of the stuff I have to trade, and my rough guestimate is about 50 bins of leather so far (in addition to a bunch of wood, metal bars, and desperately needed cloth, I have a dwarf sitting in a possession muttering about it)
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 729