Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124537 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2009, 04:08:20 am »

make some nice idols out of them to trade back to the elves.

I don't see how that's possible, seeing how those pointy-eared faggots won't even accept wooden bins or barrels.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2009, 04:15:35 am »

make some nice idols out of them to trade back to the elves.

I don't see how that's possible, seeing how those pointy-eared faggots won't even accept wooden bins or barrels.
You don't need to sell them the bin, just sell them the contents.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2009, 06:04:27 am »

I don't see how that's possible, seeing how those pointy-eared faggots treehumpers won't even accept wooden bins or barrels.

Edited for sensitivity and accuracy.

Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2009, 06:19:34 am »

I know, I'm just saying that they won't buy them. Makes trading with them a pain in the ass (then again, what isn't a pain in the ass in this game?).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2009, 06:23:39 am »

I know, I'm just saying that they won't buy them. Makes trading with them a pain in the ass (then again, what isn't a pain in the ass in this game?).
They don't mind bone items, for some reason.  Don't ask me why.  Alcohol, however, has to be sold in metal barrels.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2009, 06:36:56 am »

Don't ask me why.

Simple: they're like PETA, only worse. PETA nutcases favor animals over humans, elven nutcases favor trees over animals and human(oid)s.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2009, 07:06:23 am »

Don't ask me why.

Simple: they're like PETA, only worse. PETA nutcases favor animals over humans, elven nutcases favor trees over animals and human(oid)s.
Wrong, they only like their own "Ethically sourced, sustainable wood" and are trying to extort your into buying their crappy wood based products.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2009, 11:03:37 am »

I don't see how that's possible, seeing how those pointy-eared faggots treehumpers won't even accept wooden bins or barrels.
Edited for sensitivity and accuracy.
Actually, faggot would be correct here, because we DO burn them.  With magma.  Quite frequently.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2009, 12:21:21 pm »

Fancy system running off of an underground river designed to both be a perpetual motion machine and an addition to the dining room waterfall.  Overconfident with my experience I don't build a failsafe lever into the system.  There is no way it could possibly go wrong.

Unfortunatly the dining room waterfall already had a waterfall, sourced from a surface river (also without a failsafe).  With an expertly desined drainage system that emptied into the underground river.  It was working fine.

Until I added the extra water without expanding the drainage, that was.  Now there was twice as much water going through the system, the drainage system slowly backed up, not able to pass all the water through the thin drainage pipes.  Then after a quick glance to make sure the dining room didn't immediately flood I pat myself on the back and forget to pause before going to make some hot pockets.

When I get back delicious hot pockets in hand, the dining room is under water, water is flowing out of the fortifications into the 2 z level tall workshop hallway, and the poor souls in the jail have a wall of water flowing down the stairs at them.

In the end the jail level is completely flooded, as well as a few z levels above it, that had nothing of note, the dining room and most of the workshops are knee deep in water that wasn't going anywhere soon, and after the pumping system was hastily deconstructed it would take years for the drainage system to catch up to the extra water in the system(because I certainly can't shut off a direct waterfall from the surface river).  Not in the mood to salvage the disaster, I abandoned. 

Deaths: 3 residents.  2 that drown in the jail(ignoring a mandate from the baron and mayor) and 1 that apperantly got washed into the well and drown.  theres a facepalm moment right there.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2009, 01:21:01 pm »

Making use of the vast amount of Goblin and various other skulls I collected to make loads of totems. The Human traders arrived I sold loads of the things, all my dwarfs rushed in to haul the totems and buy bars, armour and various other stuff. Then to my horror my master miner died, then an engraver, then a lye maker...what was going on?!?

I disovered too late that there was a mandate and ALL my Dwarfs were guilty to helping to ship the totems. The Hammerdwarf was going full pelt and the prison was overcrowded. It was a disaster and my worst facepalm moment.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2009, 01:30:24 pm »

The proper way to handle that is with a single death.  The death of the noble.  Forbidding export of my major trade good, will he...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2009, 02:45:32 pm »

The proper way to handle that is with a single death.  The death of the noble.  Forbidding export of my major trade good, will he...
4 words: Forbidden bins and barrels.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2009, 02:47:50 pm »

Masterwork beds.  For everyone.

I just may have to do that, I have one in the middle of a fey mood and will start constructing as soon as my dang legendary gem cutter (result of another fey mood and got an artifact bucket out of that one, planning on using in a well) gets to work on cutting a couple. I have another carpenter (my starter woodcutter, now legendary woodcutter) with adept skill and so...

Thats assuming they will start buying masterwork beds once the dwarven economy starts up.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2009, 02:51:35 pm »

Anyone know what this is?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile