Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124573 times)

D34dlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9150 on: February 11, 2015, 08:33:51 pm »

At least dwarfs can drink from it & get good thoughts.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: February 12, 2015, 09:50:19 pm »

Dwarves love to run into places outside of the designated burrow to go running trought the forest, climb a mountain, descend the mountain, and enter the other half of the fort to grab a forbidden barrel.
The other half of the fort was inhabited by a furious vampire.
If I had closed the bridges this wouldn't have happened.
There goes my only gemcutter.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: February 12, 2015, 09:57:50 pm »

Screw pumps are so powerful.
As soon as the dorf began to operate it, it washed him into the lake. Then a second dorf came and replaced him, then died too. Then a third...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:02:18 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: February 15, 2015, 08:37:34 pm »

Note to self: no matter how quickly the werelizard is killed, be sure to quarantine every dwarf that might possibly have come into contact with it.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: February 16, 2015, 11:13:28 am »

Note to self: no matter how quickly the werelizard is killed, be sure to quarantine every dwarf that might possibly have come into contact with it.

Further note: Consider quarantining the dwarves separately next time. Two changed, and mauled a third and her baby.  They then attacked each other and one blinded the other until the next full moon.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: February 16, 2015, 11:55:56 am »

I messed up my double aquifer breach, but didn't give up as I had invested a lot of time to run everything else in the fortress too. Maybe 2-3 hours.

Then I decided to do dual slit breach, but hit conglomerate. There was a GODDAMN THIRD LAYER OF AQUIFER!!! Maybe I should do more dual slit. *facepalm*
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

JellyfishGreen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: February 17, 2015, 05:24:37 pm »

df0.40.24 - getting back into DF after some years.
Walledcross in the year 256 was doing ok. Remote forested mountain, no enemy civs, but no water. Finally struck water in the caves at -110 depth. We had lost several injured dwarves to dehydration with no well, and more when trying to smash ice for water, hopefully that will end with our working well.

However the following cunning plan should be avoided:
Paranoid of the cave inhabitants, we built a deep barracks and gave it fortifications looking out over the cave lake. I assigned a squad to the barracks, which happened to be mostly wrestlers. I thought no more of it until I learned some wrestlers had been missing over a week.

Eventually I made the grim discovery of four drowned bodies in the cave lake, armor and all. It took somewhat longer to solve the mystery.

Dwarves can go through fortifications if thrown as part of a wrestling move. >_<
Ginzu retracting menacing steel spike - fireproof, waterproof, self-sharpening with every lever pull!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: February 17, 2015, 10:54:07 pm »

I killed the outpost liaison by mistake.
I wanted the expedition leader to kill all the crundles so I selected an large area, include the liaison who just followed him...

Reload.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:57 am »

Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: February 18, 2015, 12:35:47 pm »

i had mine about half an hour ago...

i seriously thought that training a dragon to be a war dragon would be a good idea... well theoretical it is. i got that done in an older fortress in 34.11 together with a hydra (or at least i got that one tame enough that it didnt ran around killing my dwarfes after 10 years^^) so with the new version comes a new try at dragon taming ( still aiming for a dragon breeding fortress of firy doom) but this time i got a female one in year 2 and it ran straight in my cage traps. so at first i let it hang around in its cage for another 2 years until my animal trainer was legendary enough to even try to tame it, by the means of training every dog that reaches adulthood prior to butchering it. well that worked fine. i used all the precautions like training the dragon in an abandoned mineshaft that i seales of after the trainer in case of... well dragon rage and such. but the trainer made the job good and the dragon was "well tamed". after that i threw in a war training and thought it would be a good idea to let it lay eggs... so i build these neet little nestboxes right next to my boose stockpile and meatstockpile (you see where this is getting?) so the dragon layed 2 eggs shortly after and was still rather happy following my trainer all around, well that was until one of my cooks cooked the eggs into armok knows what. the dragon still standing around in the middle of the booze stockpile looks at her eggs beeing fryed to dragon omelett, and goes all firy doom on my stockpile... leading to a fort that can now be find somewhere on the moon... (there where about 5k of booze in that stockpile just for reference) and as i watched my fort explode i planted my head right on my desk thinking *how can someone be so dumb* well at least the civilisation got a little bit dragon lore before that happened making the next try a little easyer...

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: February 18, 2015, 04:07:16 pm »

I doubt tamed animals care what happens to their eggs. If this story is true at all, it was probably kobold thief spotted by dragon with predictable results (friendly... wait for it... fire) or something.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: February 18, 2015, 06:49:34 pm »

hmmm i perhaps the dragon was not tame enough and went crazy because of too many dwarfes around or something. isnce i got no notification of any kind i dont think that it would be a kobold or goblin. he would have been seen by one of my 8 fishers^^ but when its true that animals dont react to their eggs being cooked than he has to got somehow aggressive... i mean its a dragon after all^^ god knows what pisses him off ;)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: February 18, 2015, 10:07:51 pm »

Note to self: when mass re-pasturing animals indoors after the caverns are breached, try to refrain from pasturing the cage-trap gobos with them.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: February 19, 2015, 08:46:09 pm »

All of my cats are legendary climbers, that is all.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: February 19, 2015, 09:57:02 pm »

All of my cats are legendary climbers, that is all.
They start that way. Natural skill.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 729