Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124541 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9420 on: October 09, 2015, 03:30:27 pm »

After 2 days of frustration about my military dwarves not wearing armor i discover that replace clothes/over clothing has to be set for every dwarf individually...

You can set it when you create or modify the preset uniform.

Link to the wiki for more information.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9421 on: October 09, 2015, 03:33:41 pm »

After 2 days of frustration about my military dwarves not wearing armor i discover that replace clothes/over clothing has to be set for every dwarf individually...
WHAT GODDAMNIT

Thanks for cluing me in on that before my turn at Doomforests ended.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: October 09, 2015, 03:35:09 pm »

WHAT GODDAMNIT

Thanks for cluing me in on that before my turn at Doomforests ended.

It doesn't have to be, you can do it with uniforms.

You can set it when you create or modify the preset uniform.

Link to the wiki for more information.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9423 on: October 10, 2015, 11:44:03 am »

Wait, you mean that you actually make barrels and don't use large wooden pots for all food storage purposes beyond the barrels you get from embark and trade?

Do people actually do this?
I do. I don't use any containers for solid food storage, and I'd rather train Carpentry than Woodcrafting. Booze hauling isn't a concern, because I don't have any booze stockpiles.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: October 10, 2015, 12:52:36 pm »

I do. I don't use any containers for solid food storage, and I'd rather train Carpentry than Woodcrafting. Booze hauling isn't a concern, because I don't have any booze stockpiles.
Counterpoint: Bins, and cages if you're into trapping animals.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #9425 on: October 11, 2015, 06:32:11 am »

My latest attempt at making my GCS spew web.
Assign Urist to station in front of fortifications.
Urist goes past the station point and into another room where a drawbridge retracts repeatedly to let the web fall.
Urist walks onto the bridge.
The bridge retracts so that Urist falls one z level and somehow manages to break his neck which is now bleeding heavily.
Urist walks back up spraying blood everywhere and tries to station again.
He walks into the room with the GCS.
He stupidly dies from bleeding in the doorway so that GCS is free to roam the fort as his last act of defiance against a lazy god who just wants silk ffs...
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9426 on: October 11, 2015, 08:47:59 pm »

Counterpoint: Bins, and cages if you're into trapping animals.
I don't get how that's a counterpoint...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9427 on: October 13, 2015, 11:15:09 am »

I don't get how that's a counterpoint...
Your fortress needs lots of bins, and might need cages as well, so it's not like you have any shortage of repeatable carpenter tasks where you don't mind if the output is of low quality. With pots, you can stretch your wood supply out further, either by using it for food storage more efficiently or by using stone for food storage instead.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: October 15, 2015, 01:36:57 am »

Ah. I don't use bins either. For most binnable items, the workshop makes the best container. I don't often make large numbers of cages and very rarely need a large number right after embark. Wooden cages are lighter to move to the trapping area, but I would rather not be racing against time when setting traps.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: October 17, 2015, 12:23:45 pm »

So I was recently attacked by a dragon...
No biggie, just close the bridges until the militia assembles, and then lower them and send them out to take care of it.  Max losses of like 1 or 2 dorfs.

Mistake 1: Not realizing that you are currently working on getting all of your militia dwarfs steel shields but not all of them have been made yet so about half of your force is shield-less.

Mistake 2: Forget that you didn't channel out the tiles below each of the drawbridges when they are down.

Result: A mace lord and hammer lord plus another militia dwarf dead from dragon fire and half of your livestock dead or burned beyond recognition because the fire got through your closed drawbridge through the unchanneled tiles.

And of course facepalm.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9430 on: October 20, 2015, 12:46:17 pm »

I just tried to reclaim Horrorfailed.

So much for that...

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9431 on: October 20, 2015, 07:44:07 pm »

Human caravan arrives. We trade, I debate getting some cloth. Decide not to, since we're making plenty of ramie thread thanks to the above-ground farms, and they don't have more silk cloth which we can't make yet.

They leave.

IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY DO my clothier gets possessed. He wants cloth, but won't move. Guess which type of cloth I didn't get that I don't have......

Also don't have a shearable critter, so might have to dig through DFhack in order to try and spawn one in. I don't want to lose a clothier, he's the best one I have.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

madmario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: October 21, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »

Wait, you mean that you actually make barrels and don't use large wooden pots for all food storage purposes beyond the barrels you get from embark and trade?

Do people actually do this?

I do too.  Booze in a barrel reminds me of the suffering of elves.  Who drinks from a big stone pot?   Pots are for pissing.   Drinking straight from the barrel though--that has style.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: October 21, 2015, 03:53:41 pm »

Human caravan arrives. We trade, I debate getting some cloth. Decide not to, since we're making plenty of ramie thread thanks to the above-ground farms, and they don't have more silk cloth which we can't make yet.

They leave.

IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY DO my clothier gets possessed. He wants cloth, but won't move. Guess which type of cloth I didn't get that I don't have......

Also don't have a shearable critter, so might have to dig through DFhack in order to try and spawn one in. I don't want to lose a clothier, he's the best one I have.

You'll have more luck just spawning in the cloth. I don't think spawning in animals is actually possible...

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9434 on: October 21, 2015, 06:08:23 pm »

I have no idea either, but I wasn't about to mess with the spawnunit command, and the create-item didn't seem to have the ability to create wool cloth, so the poor dude went crazy. Ran around my fort and outside babbling like an idiot until he died of thirst. Took awhile, surprisingly enough.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 729