Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Change temperature to Celsius  (Read 63885 times)

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Change temperature to Celsius
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2009, 02:21:26 pm »

I'm sure if multiple temperature scales were possible, Toady wouldn't have implemented DF scale in the first place. There'll be some issues with sticking in 'C's or 'F's or whatever.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2009, 04:01:25 pm »

Maybe somebody could make a lil modproggie that would convert temperatures easily from D into F, C, and K?
For they would be your masters.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2009, 04:57:30 pm »

I'm sure if multiple temperature scales were possible, Toady wouldn't have implemented DF scale in the first place. There'll be some issues with sticking in 'C's or 'F's or whatever.
Did you even read my posts?  Like, at all?  [TEMP:22:K] for example, the game reads the K (which is separated from the number.  Upon reading that it puts the number through a conversion equation that translates it into the DF scale.  The new number is put into the file in data/objects that the game actually uses (as opposed to the raws). 

And the game is an alpha.  In other words, some things are placeholders.  An inability to have multiple scales has nothing to do with the current system, as has already been stated.  Really "We don't have it now so we shouldn't have it at all" is all you are saying, which goes against Toady's idea of even having a suggestion forum.

And RAM, it's less irritating than having to convert all the numbers into the DF scale manually, where you could make one mistake that throws the whole value off.  That's a horrible reason to not have the option of using a real world scale in modding.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2009, 06:42:35 pm »

""We don't have it now so we shouldn't have it at all" is all you are saying, which goes against Toady's idea of even having a suggestion forum."

I was reading the multi-threading posts today, since I'm buying a quad processor, and it was mentioned that Toady wasn't making DF to utilize multiple processors because he didn't want to take the time to learn how.

(And I'm not saying he should-or trying to evoke that particular tentacle demon-I'm just saying it's something I read, so kindly call off your ninjas.)

So I kind of wonder, whenever the game *does* go gold, what all he might decide to do with it, when he has the ability to add things, as the mood strikes, rather than as necessary to get the game running in the desired form.

I like to think that the Suggestions Forum lays a lot of good groundwork for the future, either short term or long term. And it's there to put in our ideas and input. Toady reads it, and uses it. I've seen that happen personally, and it probably happens better, more often, and more generously here than in many multimillion-dollar companies with hundreds of employees.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2009, 07:33:10 pm »

What?  I sort of get what you are saying, but not how it relates to what I said.  He was using the lack of a feature as a counterargument, which makes no sense, since this is the sub-forum in which new features are suggested.

In your example, Toady himself, who knows DF's coding better than anyone here, said that he wouldn't do that and gave a reason. 

With this topic, that is not the case.  Someone made an assumption about DF without any evidence to back him up other than the lack of a feature.  The suggestion of which we are talking about right now is just asking for Toady to change how the raws work, not how the whole game works.  Something which he has not commented on.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2009, 10:04:41 pm »

Maybe somebody could make a lil modproggie that would convert temperatures easily from D into F, C, and K?

I'll do it, but only if this actually happens - else what's the point?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2009, 02:32:22 am »

What?  I sort of get what you are saying, but not how it relates to what I said.  He was using the lack of a feature as a counterargument, which makes no sense, since this is the sub-forum in which new features are suggested.

In your example, Toady himself, who knows DF's coding better than anyone here, said that he wouldn't do that and gave a reason. 

With this topic, that is not the case.  Someone made an assumption about DF without any evidence to back him up other than the lack of a feature.  The suggestion of which we are talking about right now is just asking for Toady to change how the raws work, not how the whole game works.  Something which he has not commented on.

All of which is why it was idle speculation.

It relates to what you said because who knows what we'll have in the future? I mean, aside from basic drives towards robust goals, who can say what Toady wants to see happening in the game? If he had a week off to just goof around with a complete, finished, polished DF code, without other pressing concerns, I wonder what little extras he might put in.

It's easy for us to speculate on what little bits and pieces of the game we'd like to modify or add, but when Toady comes on the boards, he's generally either involved in the business end of things, or acting as a moderator.

I just wonder what he'd add to the Suggestions board, if he were in our place.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2009, 07:34:49 am »

Okay.  I'm just saying if he ever had time it seems like it would be easy to implement.  I could be wrong, of course.  But I haven't seen any solid reason why it wouldn't be.
Just so I remember

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2009, 04:26:49 pm »

This thread is now about trying to figure out and come to grips with how this thread can have reached eleven bloody pages!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2009, 04:33:46 pm »

The DF scale, I assume, is based upon computer requirements and not on a real-life scale.
 Also, if there is a problem with sticking a letter after a number modders will never figure out the next release with tissue layers.

Also, this thread is fueled by people around the world personally offended by our use of Fahrenheit, and Americans saying we don't have to use Celsius in our daily lives.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2009, 04:40:32 pm »

The DF scale, I assume, is based upon computer requirements and not on a real-life scale.
 Also, if there is a problem with sticking a letter after a number modders will never figure out the next release with tissue layers.

Also, this thread is fueled by people around the world personally offended by our use of Fahrenheit, and Americans saying we don't have to use Celsius in our daily lives.

Hey now, there could be some people from Burma or Liberia here too.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2009, 04:41:53 pm »

Hey now, there could be some people from Burma or Liberia here too.
They are lucky enough to be outside of the spotlight.
 But yes, point taken.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2009, 05:47:58 pm »

Well since these are raws, and they are read before the main loop can be read and most likely are not read from after that...

It would seem allowing EVERY temperature scale would be the best solution.

Why are we even still discussing it...

It doesn't waste processor time except for the nanosecond when they are read.

It simple to implement (by comparison to other suggestions)

And it would make everyone happy... *except the unit nazi's who believe everything has to be done their way even though it doesn't hurt them in the least....

I think the thread is over

Done. 

We would have Fahrenheit Celsius Kelvin and Dwarven units.  And no one will be left out.

Smile, and hope it makes it in.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2009, 05:34:45 am »

This thread is now about trying to figure out and come to grips with how this thread can have reached eleven bloody pages!

...I take it you've never been to the - thread, and I, further, suggest you never go...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2009, 02:48:26 am »

Voting for keeping Fahrenheit+10K internally. That scale means we don't need decimals for HOMEOTHERM values nor negative numbers if there's ever a need for supernatural cold.  This will make the game go faster, even if it is totally arbitrary.

Are you aware that 0° F are not supernaturally cold? It's about -17.7° Celsius. If you go up a mountain about 2000m tall in winter, you'll easily have something in these temparatures... AND SOMEDWARF WILL.

Also, Fahrenheit is based on the irrational, stupid human, 100 being fever, and 0 being I-don't-know-what.
Celsius is based on the cold, hard facts of physics, namely the boiling and freezing temparatures of water in a 1-bar environment.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14