Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning as a skill, it's not just for labor anymore!  (Read 1034 times)

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning as a skill, it's not just for labor anymore!
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:28:03 am »

On a similar note to my earlier idea about designations, here is a follow up idea I had in mind.
(This would also increase the usefulness of soap!)

First, it would be an actively learnable skill, like most others, IE, the poor sod of a dwarf that gets stuck on latrine duty may not like it, but after 2 years he or she is a pro with a scrubbing brush! Same as most other skills, effectwise, the higher the skill, the faster and more efficiently they clean. The basic brushing process would require a bucket of water, a lump or bar of soap, and a brush (craftable by crafters of either the wood, bone, stone, or perhaps even metal variaties, and a piece of hair off any animal/sentient being (yes, if all else fails, they can cut their own hair to make brushes with, if the butcher shop is coming up empty on hair drops)

Also, for any dabbling or perhaps a higher ranking might be needed (9 or 10 and up, maybe?) a new device would be enabled. The dwarven portable power pump would require either carpentry or metalsmithing to make the housing and the nozzle/pump pieces, and one set of mechanisms of stone or metal nature, and it would require it to be filled with water, and a liquid variant of soap available in the soapmakers workshop.
This would be the only one available for cleaning outside areas (water spray to soak stuff into the ground) and for a wider range of cleaning radius when used indoors(At a potentially much faster speed, however, the supply of water in the pump would wear out very quickly and require a refill, and the soap when used indoors would go quickly as well. So per-area, it would take more soap or water, but the speed it would give could definately make it worthwhile.

And if cornered while carrying one of these around, the dwarf could attempt to temporarrily blind or slow his attacker, muddying the ground or making the stone floors quite slick, or attempting to spray them in the eyes.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning as a skill, it's not just for labor anymore!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:48:25 pm »

We need pots and plates before cleaning as a skill becomes worthwhile.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:44:37 pm »

I kind of vote nay. My reasoning is that cleaning is there to return your fortress to it's non-bloody/vomited/wet state. I don't really want that as skill dependent, especially when cleaning doesn't need to happen that often.

Now, if we're talking cleaning as a skill that relates to how well dwarves clean THEMSELVES....that's another kettle of fish. And it makes more sense. I could actually have Frumpy Scumdwarf earn his name because he has no sense or skill for personal hygiene.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:44:21 pm »

I don't really like this idea in DF...

However i would like to point out I REALLY don't like the part about making a cleaning machine....  This would be HIGHLY out of place in a game devoid of any other steam punk paraphernalia, and in no way fits the pre-1400 time line ideal that has been used as a tech cut off date as they were not invented to my knowledge till the 1950's.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:12:58 am »

It wouldn't be a steam related device, merely a pump operated one, (think those little troublesome handheld air-pressure pump devices for spraying weeds in the yard) where instead of a plastic jug, it's a sap-sealed wooden barrel, or an airtight forged little keg. Heh, cleaning isn't that needed? Tell that to my dwarves that have to walk through some 30 odd substances in the 9 square distance between the edge of my drawbridge and the first flight of stairs down. And even if I remove enough labors til only cleaning remains, I might actually get 1 lone dwarf that will start cleaning, out of 60+, while the rest choose to stand around enjoying the no-job status. (and yes, I have tons of buckets lying about that are not marked as forbidden or to be dumped, or filled with other substances, a fully supplied water source with a well cap, and the 8 squares surrounding the well appropriately marked as a water source)  And even if my guys do finally manage to clean up the mess inside my drawbridge, it wouldn't help, because there is an area outside my drawbridge covered with all sorts of substances, from golden salve to wheat, dye, sands, etc. After it was cleaned, my minions would just track it back in again.  If the messes are going to be that persistant and prolific, where a single square spill can cover half a screen within a season or two, a cleaning skill or at least a cleaning designation tool and a higher labor priority setting would be nice.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »

I think Cleaning should be a skill that is improved with practice.  I don't want to add any more items to justify it, or make us clean anymore than we already do ;p

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:42:16 pm »

If the pump doesn't fit the current dwarven/gnomish engineering styles, at least give our cleaners a bucket stick, you know, the old shoulder sling method of a simple stick to carry more than 2 buckets at a time  ;D

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:57:21 pm »

Urist has admired a fine cleaning recently.
UristMcOCD has become a legendary cleaner!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

thelordberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »

Tie it into punishment. A dwarf commits an unspeakable act, as a result his beard is shaved, made into a scrubbing stick and he is forced into latrine duty. A fitting end.
I'm unspeakably dissspointed. A dwarven fortress has discovered a sentient creature made out of mushrooms, and no one has proposed brewing him?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:47:31 am »

The game's structure certainly allows tying skills to it, but I prefer some things as a no-skill labour you only need a strong back for: cleaning, hauling, pump operating. The job-skill associations ought to be rawified sooner or later anyway.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 04:52:14 am »

Tie it into punishment. A dwarf commits an unspeakable act, as a result his beard is shaved, made into a scrubbing stick and he is forced into latrine duty. A fitting end.
:o
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.