Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released  (Read 106222 times)

scaliper

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Scalips
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.01 Released
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2012, 10:07:21 pm »

Code red!

Also, I hesitate to bring this up because it makes me very happy, but has anyone else noticed the silly amount of starting points?
You don't get a hell of a lot of use out of minions when the standard training regimen outputs quadriplegics.
Unless you load the quadruplegics into catapults and fire them on the enemy.
First person to record farming in HFS, and in a community fort no less!

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »

Hurray! I don't have to scroll through the list of dead things to find where the nasties are anymore! Thanks, Toady!
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2012, 10:19:03 pm »

Hurray! I don't have to scroll through the list of dead things to find where the nasties are anymore! Thanks, Toady!

This. I'm so happy about that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2012, 10:20:22 pm »

Why don't they just get to work and simply make a doctor's appointment?! ;)

Do you know how long it takes to get one of them?  You call up first thing in the morning for something that hurts like hell and you're already too late to grab any emergency appointment slot, so you ask if you can come in the next day, and they say "No, all the appointments for that day are already taken, except for the emergency appointment slots."  "Can I have one of them?" "No, we've got to leave them open for tomorrow's emergencies, call again first thing tomorrow to try to get one of those, or we can book you in a regular slot for two weeks' time...".

Sparrorf

• Escaped Lunatic
  • dorfs dorfs dorfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2012, 10:25:47 pm »

Thaaaaaaanks toady, this made my day more perfect than it already was,   valentines day + dwarf ver0.34   :)

i'm gonna try it right awaaay  ;)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2012, 10:52:45 pm »

maybe he became a vampire after becoming mayor?

Point is that, unless the vampire was unmasked in some way, being able to look at a coin and see that a particular person is a human vampire does not seem like intended behavior.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2012, 11:00:49 pm »

I might just be bad luck, but I'm finding just starting adventurer mode a lot harder than previously.

1) On the way from one hamlet/town/keep/etc to another, I keep getting ambushed by bandits multiple times, and have to use my superior agility to run away.
2) I get trounced if I try to fight the bandits one on one.
3) Guards at the keep won't join me when I ask them, so I have to try to face the bandits alone (and can't travel safely at night).

Also, the first time I tried, my adventurer started with a silver saber. :(

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2012, 11:06:54 pm »

I can't see to keep my followers from starving to death. Is there any way to get them to feed on the blood and guts of your enemies (which is how I stay alive)
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2012, 11:12:42 pm »

Wait, did this release include anything about changing how trading works in fortress mode, or was that pushed off to the next major release?

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:36 pm »

And in the sky they did appear:
"My name is Mosquitomandias, king of beasts:
Look on my numbers, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 14, 2012, 11:20:35 pm »

Is this version multithreaded? i'm getting equal usage on all 4 cores during worldgen, though total capacity usage is only maxing 27%. so its using 1/4th of all cores equally?

As noted, this is not only normal on modern multi-core CPUs, but desirable.  The overhead from switching a heavy single-core task from core to core several times a second is fairly low in computer time; but the ability to run at a higher speed due to spreading the thermal load out over all the cores is significant.  Some older guides may suggest locking DF to a single core; on modern CPUs, you will usually get significantly *worse* speeds if you force it to heat one core up without rotation. 

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:23 pm »

Spoiler: Previously on... (click to show/hide)

It appears I spoke too soon- my crashiness persists into Fort mode. Thank god for Initial Autosave.

Good news! I turned off Truetype for entirely unrelated reasons, and I have not experienced another crash. Let the good times roll!

It would be nice to get saves that demonstrate any remaining TrueType crashes.

I'm not sure what to upload, since most the time the crashes are in the main menus and not a region/game. The few times I had a crash during play before I figured it out were not obviously connected to anything- once I was assigning labors, and once I was following around a migrant child while they got a drink outside.

I just now figured out a completely separate crash that happens whenever I tried to save in fort mode- reported with save here. That one took some doing since I thought it was an embark thing, until I thought to disable initial save (or whatever it is.) I think I'll go to bed and let other people find crazy crashes for a while :P

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 14, 2012, 11:31:11 pm »

Wait, did this release include anything about changing how trading works in fortress mode, or was that pushed off to the next major release?

Trading in Adventure Mode was changed: everything you buy teleports into your inventory, so you don't have to find it and pick it up yourself.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 14, 2012, 11:40:09 pm »

Oh god.

Behrooz Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Woo, I play with dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 14, 2012, 11:45:03 pm »

And to think, if we didn't have the new unit view, I wouldn't know the specific number of the host of 173 giant mosquitos outside my fortress.

After appreciating the sheer numbers of the mosquito horde, I was hoping that a 'giant' mosquito is around the 'squirrel' size-range. 

...until one of them bit my expedition leader's leg off.  Bit of a problem, that.
Behrooz''s Law:<BR>The relevance of ongoing discussion in a bulletin board thread is inversely proportional to both the volume and number of quotations appended therein.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22