Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 617373 times)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #600 on: March 13, 2012, 04:49:39 am »

Quote pyramid powers, activate!
But then you risk friendship - or worse, marriage!  That's almost the exact opposite of what we need.
That is? We could drag some eugenics in this as well. My current project involved several rooms with paired children, but little buggers messed it up and now all rooms except one have a brother and sister inside. Also it's a complete pain to organize animal pitting to more than a couple of such rooms.
Friendships could be a problem with this scenario. I don't see a way to prevent them from happening, so just add a puppy-fall to entertain the lil' rapscallions while making them not care about anything could make friendships a non-issue. Marriages are highly preventable; splitting the tykes by gender is a simple way to take care of that, and give us a mere two rooms to pit animals in.

Of course, this is all just theory. Late night theory.

Baby_Slaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 13, 2012, 06:12:48 am »

Danny the Dog?
I love how he gonna punch the goblin neck, you will never hear the goblin scream again  ;)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 13, 2012, 06:28:55 am »

Perhaps these Supersoldiers when crippled too much to fight could be allowed into a small burrow of society with other cripples, and be allowed to form a marriage with opposite gender Crippled Supersoldiers, thereby passing on their superior strength to their children, who could be raised in the Child Care all over again.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 13, 2012, 08:07:45 am »

I'm unfamiliar with the armadillo aspect.  What's the appeal exactly?
When an armadillo is attacked it curls into a ball rendering only it's shell available for attack. If you try to hit it with anything weaker than an iron weapon the attack will have no effect. I've never observed one coming out of it's ball in fortress mode until it was left alone. When these three things come together dropping a wild armadillo in with a child should result in the child using it as a punching bag indefinitely with no possibility of the child being hurt. Of course as long as the child can see the armadillo it won't eat or drink but there's gotta be some way around that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 13, 2012, 09:26:45 am »

You assume that the child will actually attack the armadillo.  Dwarves never fight back against tame creatures unless they're berserk.  Civilians prefer to run away from wild creatures instead of fighting, so I highly doubt you'd get the child to attack it.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:11 am »

When backed in a corner civs will fight.

I once had a mason building a wall outside when he was ambushed by goblins, he ran along the top of another wall where she then turned around and slaughtered the goblins as she was also legendary miner

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 13, 2012, 10:30:19 am »

I don't think you could corner a child against an armadillo in a way that let the child survive to adulthood.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 13, 2012, 10:34:56 am »

Wild flesh balls. Easy to catch, numerous, nearly invulnerable to weak attacks, absolutely harmless.

When the child is exhausted, open door, let him sleep in his room, eat and drink and rest. Then make him go inside the1x1 room, lock, and drop the flesh ball on him again.

May be worth it to train weaponsdwarves on them with a training weapon, as well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:38:50 am by Naryar »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 13, 2012, 10:36:59 am »

Do you want to micromanage that for 12 years?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 13, 2012, 10:44:28 am »

Nope... but you don't NEED 12 years of this to get a legendary child, because if my calculations are correct it is FAR faster ! Hell, one or two years and the child should already be legendary in Fighter skill, among others.

I will try that technique. Although it needs more thinking beyond it to make it worth it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:36 am »

Grrr, it seems flesh balls can kill unarmored adult dwarves. Well, that's too bad for children.

Edit: I wonder what will happen if I dump a cage of wild weasels in a child's room ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:17:33 am by Naryar »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 13, 2012, 12:28:48 pm »

Nope... but you don't NEED 12 years of this to get a legendary child, because if my calculations are correct it is FAR faster ! Hell, one or two years and the child should already be legendary in Fighter skill, among others.

I will try that technique. Although it needs more thinking beyond it to make it worth it.
Well I guess it really depends on what the purpose of Dwarven Childcare is. If it was just about making them badasses then hucking them in a danger room when they reach adulthood would be sufficient, I've always understood that half of the idea was getting the children out from under foot until they became useful.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 15, 2012, 09:27:08 am »

Grrr, it seems flesh balls can kill unarmored adult dwarves. Well, that's too bad for children.

Edit: I wonder what will happen if I dump a cage of wild weasels in a child's room ?

....What? How? Did it sit on him and cause suffocation?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 15, 2012, 11:43:34 am »

....What? How? Did it sit on him and cause suffocation?

Nah, the classic push through the brain, jamming the skull through the brain. Just like giant sponges.

Flesh balls are the size of an adult dwarf after all.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 15, 2012, 11:48:48 am »

well, once they're legendary you can just shove them onto the battlefield and see what happens...
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 76