Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 398

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 485139 times)

El Rey De Los Monos

• Bay Watcher
  • Never forget your towel.
    • View Profile
    • Rey Mono Games
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2018, 02:38:56 am »

Sell out to EA and let them run it.
“You are perfectly safe.”
“But that’s not the point!” raged Ford. “The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!”
- Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2018, 03:11:12 pm »

An update that adds physical gods who can choose to reside in your fortress and provide massive mood boosts to their worshipers.  The kicker?  They're basically bigger, more fickle nobles, who happen to be near-invincible and surrounded by fanatically loyal followers.

"Windyclutched, goddess of trees and nature, hath issued a commandment: thou shalt not war with the elves"

"Towerhits, god of tradition and magma, hath issued a commandment: thou shalt not trade with non-dwarves"

"Deepenedheart, god of peace and doves, hath issued a commandment: thou shalt not have a militia"
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 03:17:57 pm by BigUglyWorm »
We must prepare for the Vomitpocalypse.

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2019, 04:16:30 pm »

not sure if this goes here;

migrant waves come with a wagon and/or pack animals (depending on the social status of the migrants, the unmarried peasant might come with nothing more than the clothes on his back)

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2019, 04:52:52 pm »

migrant waves come with a wagon and/or pack animals (depending on the social status of the migrants, the unmarried peasant might come with nothing more than the clothes on his back)
Only if you think that's a bad/unrealistic idea.

A better fit for the thread might be something like "migrants can arrive with pack animals and animal-drawn wagons, but the animals can be literally anything, from oxen and deer to fluffy wamblers to dragons. Normal restraints on tameness apply."

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2019, 06:40:08 am »

Or animal men come in the migrant wave with dwarf pulled wagons.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2019, 08:09:01 am »

This is not that bad, as BigUglyWorm pointed out.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2019, 02:29:07 pm »

Or animal men come in the migrant wave with dwarf pulled wagons.
I like the way you think!

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2019, 12:59:11 pm »

Only if you think that's a bad/unrealistic idea.

A better fit for the thread might be something like "migrants can arrive with pack animals and animal-drawn wagons, but the animals can be literally anything, from oxen and deer to fluffy wamblers to dragons. Normal restraints on tameness apply."

This is not that bad, as BigUglyWorm pointed out.

but think of the parking space and other issues that it would create!! imagine wagons flooding your fort! blocking off traffic, sinking in rivers, etc!
it would be chaos!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:00:52 pm by betaking »

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2019, 01:25:29 pm »

I can already see the forum posts arguing the merits of various traffic-flow patterns.  On the other hand, all those wagons would be a nice source of wood for tree-less embarks.

You've given me another idea: every time you start a new fortress, you have to guide the wagon, along with its load of dwarves and supplies, from the mountainhomes to your embark site, in the format of an Oregon-Trail-like text-adventure.  Anything and anyone you lose on the way is gone at embark (good luck if you drop your only anvil - or worse, your only miner - while crossing a river), and you have to manage supplies while navigating your world's terrain for however long it takes to reach your destination.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:47:52 pm by BigUglyWorm »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2019, 01:27:02 pm »

You've given me another idea: every time you start a new fortress, you have to guide the wagon, along with its load of dwarves and supplies, from the mountainhomes to your embark site, in the format of an Oregon-Trail-like text-adventure.  Anything and anyone you lose on the way is gone at embark (good luck if you drop your only anvil - or worse, your only miner - while crossing a river), any you have to manage supplies while navigating your world's terrain for however long it takes to reach your destination.
That actually sounds kind of awesome.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2019, 01:34:24 pm »

It would be fun for the first couple worlds, sure, but then eventually you'll generate a world where the only sustainable location for a fortress is on the other side of the continent from your starting civ and will take in-game weeks to reach. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2019, 02:53:03 pm »

take in-game weeks to reach.

Why not IRL weeks? :P
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

flimflamm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2019, 07:32:56 pm »

You've given me another idea: every time you start a new fortress, you have to guide the wagon, along with its load of dwarves and supplies, from the mountainhomes to your embark site, in the format of an Oregon-Trail-like text-adventure.  Anything and anyone you lose on the way is gone at embark (good luck if you drop your only anvil - or worse, your only miner - while crossing a river), any you have to manage supplies while navigating your world's terrain for however long it takes to reach your destination.

Very funny...

But if wagons were actually available in adventure mode, there shouldn't be any reason why opting for an adventure mode style embark would be difficult to implement or use (there is a [T]ravel screen afterall).

Don't you think wagons could actually be useful in adventure mode?

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2019, 08:52:26 pm »

It would be fun for the first couple worlds, sure, but then eventually you'll generate a world where the only sustainable location for a fortress is on the other side of the continent from your starting civ and will take in-game weeks to reach. :P
My thoughts exactly.  And long stretches of evil or savage biome between the mountainhomes and an embark site go from "fun curiosity" to "insurmountable impediment".

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2019, 08:59:52 pm »

Don't you think wagons could actually be useful in adventure mode?
I mean, for larger parties or adventurers hauling huge objects across long distances, maybe, if you could get some critters to pull--
Wait.  According to the wiki, wagons are actually creatures with no organs.  Which means...
INVINCIBLE, MOBILE COMBAT DUMMIES!  Finally, I can train a world class wrestler while traveling the world in ~*~style~*~
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 398