Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 398

Author Topic: Terrible Suggestions Thread  (Read 485139 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Suggestions Thread
« Reply #3315 on: June 23, 2021, 02:17:59 am »

We should switch Dwarf Fortress from it's custom engine to use Unity.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: June 23, 2021, 02:38:59 am »

No, switch Unity to run on Dwarf Fortress.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: June 23, 2021, 03:00:19 am »

We should switch Dwarf Fortress from it's custom engine to use Unity.

Actually, that's shockingly enough, not 100% out of the realm of possibility, at least for the graphics/UI part of the engine (obviously the actual processing core would stay as the current custom C++):

Quote from: ror6ax
Wouldn't it be nice to have more than 4 season music and perhaps sounds for workshops(hammers/wood saw etc)? As far as I understand it will require very simple coding (play sound.mp3 on loop when tile X is within N distance from center of the screen) but would add to perceived 'polish' of the game.

Same question as above, but animated textures(tree leaves/grass/snow). Seems easy, would look great, mostly a job for artists - what gives?

You mentioned switching engines? Could you elaborate? Do you plan to switch to something like Unity eventually?

The simple switch up to SDL2 makes the most sense first.  We can't switch to anything like Unity in the time frame we are in, though eventually some switch to something is going to make sense compared to what I can do in a custom engine.  It's just less and less practical to try to keep up with things on your own, especially if it's not something you're interested in (that is, programming for OSs/graphics is neat, but I prefer working on DF.)

I don't think a FotF answer ever surprised me this much.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: June 23, 2021, 07:23:23 am »

In order to help himself make more money Dwarf Fortress should display adds at random.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: June 23, 2021, 07:28:39 am »

543+56=599

6+34=40

81+935=1016

(I'll take cash, please.)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: June 23, 2021, 03:04:53 pm »

Other civs are only allowed to siege fortresses after sending a messenger to the fortress and signing an affidavit acknowledging that there is a risk that demons might be unintentionally released as a result of the siege.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: June 23, 2021, 04:11:31 pm »

The game should be totally rewritten in BASIC or INTERCAL.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: June 23, 2021, 04:38:03 pm »

Go FORTH or go home...

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: June 23, 2021, 04:52:57 pm »

Go FORTH or go home...

Dwarf Fortress now runs on Collapse OS.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: June 23, 2021, 06:14:11 pm »

Port DF to machine code on an OISC processor (specifically one that includes an accumulator) and drop support for all other platforms.  Also, only distribute the machine code in printed binary text format, requiring the users to manually input the program bit by bit.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: June 23, 2021, 09:31:47 pm »

Elves should be able to use sharks with friggen’ lasers on their heads as mounts when besieging a seaside fortress (or, if that’s not possible, than at least ill-tempered sea bass).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: June 24, 2021, 01:48:30 am »

The fortress should always be under siege by laser sharks, and they should be unkillable and never leave.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: June 26, 2021, 12:49:59 am »

The game should make an emergency shutdown every time the player's CPU is just not overloaded enough.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: June 26, 2021, 01:46:56 am »

Demons made of adamantine breaking materials should destroy during historical events adamantine tunnels imprisoning them by themselves. They would roam underground at first unless they would be able to get into surface by finding an unfinished fortress or simply a natural exit out of the cavern.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: June 26, 2021, 03:27:09 am »

Demons made of adamantine breaking materials should destroy during historical events adamantine tunnels imprisoning them by themselves. They would roam underground at first unless they would be able to get into surface by finding an unfinished fortress or simply a natural exit out of the cavern.
This causes a domino effect of demons realizing that they can break adamantine, eventually causing a demon apocalypse.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 398