Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding for Armor. Good for modders now, might save time later.  (Read 1162 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Modding for Armor. Good for modders now, might save time later.
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:26:32 pm »

Howdy suggestion board.  Been awhile since I've been in here.

Just a little thing. I thought it up at work today, I did a search and I saw another thread for this more than a year ago. But I feel this deserves a bump without the necromancy of a year old one post wonderthread.

How bout the ability to mod the places armor gets worn on?  For example a boot.  They go on the feet, so the boot would simply have a tag like [WORN_ON:CATEGORY:FOOT], allowing for category, specific bodyparts, or things like "grasp" similar to how creature attack bodypart links are currently defined.

This would allow modders to put more flavor clothing and armor on custom races (I personally would love some kind of plate to protect the tail, and a chain covering for wings) allow the modding of clothing or armor that ONLY fits specific races by giving the race a custom bodypart and matching the clothing to the bodypart specifically.   It could also potentially make the code for equipping non-humanoids a simpler task since it could cut down on the amount of special cases necessary for special animal gear like barding and horseshoes when Dwarf Fortress gets to that point.

Another thought was to be able to control the amount of the item made.  Boots for example you want two of whenever you make them. [AMOUNT_PER_JOB:2] could do that.  It may even be possible to make that more powerful by replacing the number with BY_RACE, which could simply count the number of bodyparts the creating race has that fit the criteria to have the item worn on it, and make that many.

Any thoughts, criticism, rage, or anti-modding sentiment?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding for Armor. Good for modders now, might save time later.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:03 pm »

RAWR! MODS ADDING CONTENT TO GAMES ANGERS ME! DEVELOPERS CAN'T CHARGE $6 FOR RESKINS WHEN THERE ARE MODS!

Jokes aside this is a nice little suggestion that would make armour modding a lot easier/in depth than it is currently.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:11:45 pm »

It would make modding in more believable armor parts much better. As of right now there really isn't a way to make something like a pauldron, greave, or bracer without it covering body parts that it shouldn't.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:56:59 pm »

This is a good idea, but so simple I really can't think of anything to add, except that anti-modding sentiment is dumb.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:39:36 pm »

sounds cool, but when I was reading the part where you explained about modding where the armor is worn, I could only imagine a dwarf charging into battle with iron boots on his hands
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:57:49 am »

Haha, you know I originally wrote it using gauntlets as an example. Don't recall why I changed the example, but that was why Grasp was used in the example, I forgot to change that to Stance.

Oh well, it shows how you can allow for silliness too. :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:39:25 am »

(I personally would love some kind of plate to protect the tail, and a chain covering for wings)

Chain probably wouldn't be very good for wings, it's too loose.  I have seen a type of armor that might work, though.  It's designed as a series of overlapping feather shaped plates.

Ah, here it is.