Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566402 times)

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #270 on: July 07, 2010, 04:32:17 pm »

HOLY CRAP 195478262101 REPLIES AT ONCE

Spoiler: HFS rock swimming (click to show/hide)
What would prevent the clowns from coming straight from the H.F.S. Clown Car to your wagon at embark? If they really want to Entertain (i.e., bring FunTM to) the world's children, and they can swim through rock...

I <3 this idea. It causes traps to not magically reset themselves AND it forces insanely complicated SUPER-DWARFY constructions in your traphalls.

This would be exceedingly awesome. A 3-tile axle dropping from a gear assembly onto some ramps, and thundering into a squad of goblinses.

OOOH Even better - This is a Lignite rolling stone pillar. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of chalk and adorned with hanging rings of tower-cap. The object menaces with spikes of microcline and awesome. On the object is an image of a Birch axle and goblins. The axle is rolling. The goblins are running. The axle is killing the goblins.

The only thing better than an automated goblin mangling trap is an automated goblin mangling trap THAT IS ON FIRE. You know, a +!!trap!!+

If you shift from (a six-limbed creature with a wound to the middle left limb) to a human, I'd expect you actually shift to (a human with a significant wound on the of your lower abdomen/back). Bleeding is bleeding - you can't shift to a human and mosey off to the dang hospital.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2010, 04:50:08 pm »

I certainly can't say how much Toady's thought of interfaces for these advanced features, but looking at DF talks gives some hint that he wants the "talk to people to get stuff done" side of things. Notably the DF talk where he mentions the eventual feature of playing as a civ leader where you rule your kingdom via your aides just like in real life. They'd give you reports, and you'd then issue orders back to them which they'd relay on and execute. This introduces the possibility of dishonest aides who lie for whatever reason, and also for inaccuracies. Thinking of how we have the Bookkeeper dwarf right now (with built-in inaccuracies unless he slaves away at maximum precision which you can only afford to do later in a fort's life) and how Toady initially put in the Arsenal Dwarf, as well as the Manager dwarf issuing batch orders - Toady wants actual dwarves filling in shoes of administrators that would in real-life ensure a leader's decision gets executed.

Spoiler: HFS rock swimming (click to show/hide)
What would prevent the clowns from coming straight from the H.F.S. Clown Car to your wagon at embark? If they really want to Entertain (i.e., bring FunTM to) the world's children, and they can swim through rock...
Easily handwaved. Call it a cold-sleep seal which is broken when HFS first spawn as it is right now. Call it ignorance of the surface because most demons prefer being deeeeeeeeep down in the pits and have no reason to be around the lowest layers of our DF maps before they realise something can dig 'up there'. Maybe they had no reason to 'invent' the rockpass magic until they found incentive when a dwarf showed up. Reasons why they don't kill everything before we discover them can be thought of later if the rock swimming is implemented at all.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:57:11 pm by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2010, 04:54:04 pm »

One man's Indiana Jones death ball trap is anothers Marble Run.

Now if those rock balls trigger pressure plates we could have some fun.

But if they had mass and integrated with the moving bits of the fortress then we could have Mouse Trap type fun.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2010, 05:42:20 pm »

A commant for Toady: For treating Adventurer's wounds.

How about in the health menu in the treatment section all wounds would show up there. you could then select the wound and what to do with it, Like for a broken arm

Right upper arm, (blah blah broken bone heavy bruising needs splint blah blah)

Treat? then, you get some options

Apply splint
apply bandage
set bone
suture
(etc)
this would make it very simple for new players for  treating wounds, without it being too complex when selecting things like bandages you get a view of your backpack and then select what items to use for bandaging. And perhaps low skill when doing complex things can end up wasting supplies and making wounds only worse or taking even longer or heal and more infection prone, You could also just make a doctor join you and him him treat you (surgery would only be possible by other doctors, you can also do surgery on other people but creatures should never be able to serf-operate)

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 07, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »

Will the heart and throat ever get any other use? I mean you fixed major arteries for the next update, but a blue heart (function completely lost) should be fatal, at the same time throat wounds should cause death from not being able to breathe like the old 40d days.

Yes, this is very important.  I was messing around in the arena and noticed that adamantine axe slashes to the throat never did more than "tearing the skin" or whatever- its as if the throat has no arteries or other functions assigned to it!  This is especially bad for animals, who used to be able to occasionally take down a dwarf by tearing out their throat- the natural hunting behavior of an animal and a desired possible outcome from such an encounter.  As it is now, even latching on and shaking an opponent by their throat repeatedly does very, very, very little- less damage than attacking pretty much any other body part.  Another thing, biting attacks seem to rarely cause bleeding, even against unclothed opponents, when in fact the teeth should be generally tearing flesh open.

VWSpeedRacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2010, 06:17:32 pm »

The Arsenal Dwarf looks surprised by the ferocity of Toady One's onslaught!
"Yo dorf, I herd you like menacing so I put spikes on yo spikes so you can menace while you menace!"
I think something went wrong with the mac download. All I know is, there's an exe in it, and that just ain't right.
Armok's Sweaty Balls Toady

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 07, 2010, 06:25:33 pm »

If you shift from (a six-limbed creature with a wound to the middle left limb) to a human, I'd expect you actually shift to (a human with a significant wound on the of your lower abdomen/back). Bleeding is bleeding - you can't shift to a human and mosey off to the dang hospital.

Fah-fah-fah-phantom pain?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2010, 06:34:13 pm »

Will the heart and throat ever get any other use? I mean you fixed major arteries for the next update, but a blue heart (function completely lost) should be fatal, at the same time throat wounds should cause death from not being able to breathe like the old 40d days.

Yes, this is very important.  I was messing around in the arena and noticed that adamantine axe slashes to the throat never did more than "tearing the skin" or whatever- its as if the throat has no arteries or other functions assigned to it!

This is the "major arteries" problem that Toybasher mentioned.  It's fixed for the upcoming release.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2010, 06:35:44 pm »

The first is probably easier than the second to put in, even if the second is more realistic.  The first priority will probably just be dealing with walled-off hallways and stuff like that though -- things that are really easy to do that kill off entire sieges.  I guess it's entirely possible that they wouldn't be able to find you if you hid behind 10 meter thick walls hidden off in random places, but then it should be possible for them to live in your upper levels for years while you work away tradeless on mushrooms down below (although there are major obstacles to that that make it non-practical for the dev page).  They'd probably just leave after looting all your exposed items and slaughtering anybody left outside (including any entity pop infrastructure you've got out there).  Although once they can get through a single wall, they can just dig ambitious tunnels for you at random I suppose.  As long as walling yourself in has reasonable results, I'll be happy with however they handle it.  Right now it's too much of an exploit (of course, the whole "digging invaders" is enough of a touchy subject that it's explictly stated as optional on the dev page, and how you handle exploits is up to you at that point).
Will type of material matter in terms of how long it will take to be crushed or whether it can be crushed at all? Theres a big difference between wooden fence and block of solid steel/adamantine.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 07, 2010, 07:17:45 pm »

Seeing as how the whole world would be living, with caravans, thieves' dens, towns and all the schemes and politics, sites growing, thieves stealing, creatures murdering, how will this effect DF, performance wise? For all the calculations, it seems like a black hole of FPS, really. (from a non-expert's viewing position)
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »

Seeing as how the whole world would be living, with caravans, thieves' dens, towns and all the schemes and politics, sites growing, thieves stealing, creatures murdering, how will this effect DF, performance wise? For all the calculations, it seems like a black hole of FPS, really. (from a non-expert's viewing position)
tying in with this, how much of what goes on in world gen will be continuing in play (aging and wars and buildings and stuff) in the next few releases

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2010, 08:53:37 pm »

About adventure mode reactions, will we be able to assign them the skills that are used for said reaction? Will they be like Fort Mode reactions, in where one gets skill EXP from doing said reaction?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2010, 09:02:45 pm »

About adventure mode reactions, will we be able to assign them the skills that are used for said reaction? Will they be like Fort Mode reactions, in where one gets skill EXP from doing said reaction?
Wouldn't we get this answer when .09 gets released? We already have basic adventure mode reactions coming in so we can tinker about in the raws.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 07, 2010, 09:06:28 pm »

Oh yeah.

I'm just soooo excited, and planning a mod for this...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 07, 2010, 10:39:56 pm »

Regarding the Arsenal Dwarf, I was just thinking how a more useful incarnation of that position might work. What if they gathered up complete uniforms ahead of time so they would be there as soon as someone needed them? It should be configurable how many of each uniform to keep on hand, and of course if there was no uniform waiting in the arsenal, military dwarves should hunt the pieces down on their own as normal.
Akur Akir Akam!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 342