Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 456573 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #705 on: July 11, 2014, 07:38:18 pm »

I think a full reset is a great idea. 

I'd re-add the top fifty or so afterwards, and anything else that seems like a unique good idea, but the whole list desperately needs a full reset. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 12, 2014, 12:14:00 am »

One of the things i'd like to see happen to the ESV list is that all entries with 0 votes get expunged automatically.
Because not having any votes means that not even their creator finds them important anymore.

Mmm...given that you can create more than you can vote for...

I mean, I "own" 20 different suggestions just because when the eternal voting system was new I took the previous voting system's nomination list and added them all to the EVS.  If you scroll down to the bottom you'll see a bunch marked [FIXED] and "DO NOT VOTE".  Those are all mine.  They have 0 votes because I cleared them as the last version (two years ago) addressed those issues.  After the next release I'll re-edit them back to "active" so that if they're still an issue people think needs to be worked on, it's there.

I also "own" 5 of the top 10, and four of the next 10.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:15:55 am by Draco18s »

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 12, 2014, 10:46:13 am »

Or (and this is just a fringe idea) we could do away with community owned ESV entries and transfer the (sub)sections of the dev list to the voting system.
Tarn already has notes on all of the subjects on the dev list, and it would let the community show him what they'd like to see fleshed out for the next release.

It'd also permanently prevent prevent 'brilliant' suggestions such as "Feces and urine", "Dwarf Fortress Online", and "Source Code" (which actually have votes), and "Koratbomenlds" (I'm not even shitting you).

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 12, 2014, 12:36:28 pm »

Or (and this is just a fringe idea) we could do away with community owned ESV entries and transfer the (sub)sections of the dev list to the voting system.
Tarn already has notes on all of the subjects on the dev list, and it would let the community show him what they'd like to see fleshed out for the next release.

It'd also permanently prevent prevent 'brilliant' suggestions such as "Feces and urine", "Dwarf Fortress Online", and "Source Code" (which actually have votes), and "Koratbomenlds" (I'm not even shitting you).

I like the sentiment, but losing suggestions like "move all the graphics options to a single file "g_init.txt" (making graphics packs much easier to use) would outweigh that.

Maybe split the suggestions into two parts: one derived from the dev list, showing what the community would like to see soonest, and a separate page for specific suggestions.
 Donations here.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:11 pm »

I'm for a full reset too.

A lot of the options have already been implemented, and a few of them just seem like jokes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:06:37 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 14, 2014, 04:41:47 am »

It seems we had the "reset" discussion a few times before.

The verdict was always no.
Individual completed/invalid suggestions vote resets were fine, though. And Toady putting a reminder of ESV on his dev blog was also a thing.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:44:44 am by dorf »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 14, 2014, 05:13:21 am »

Individual completed/invalid suggestions vote resets were fine, though. And Toady putting a reminder of ESV on his dev blog was also a thing.

I count four distinct times the topic has come up since 2008 (three are from Feb 2011, responses to each other).  Given the sheer length of time, the hugeness of this update, and the age (and obsolescence) of some of the suggestions and votes - I do think a reset is finally due.  Many suggestions could be re-created if that's a concern. 

As long as the list isn't wiped clean, there's no chance of any significant change in it. It should be named "the 2009 voting, eternally preserved."
 Donations here.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 14, 2014, 06:28:12 am »

I don't mean a full reset, just the ones that don't make sense anymore.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 14, 2014, 08:18:12 am »

I do mean a full reset - wipe the list completely, and have someone known for properly maintained suggestions re-revealed those that deserve to be carried over (no more than 100).
 Donations here.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 14, 2014, 11:34:37 am »

We should consider make linking ESV entries to a relevant forum thread mandatory.
If only so we can have a central place to discuss related things.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 15, 2014, 03:50:06 am »

I have made a complicated and possibly unnecessary poll with many options: http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/ttgbqx/esv
The poll is rank-based, so rearrange the options as you see fit (higher rank = higher priority).

If you'd like me to add/change options, that can be arranged.
I have also made a multiple-choice version but I thought we'd nominate a few options and vote on those later.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:55:55 am by dorf »

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 15, 2014, 08:05:11 am »

It's great that you made a poll on it, but there's too much to choose from.
If it were multiple choice i would be able to just not vote for the things i don't like, but now i will vote for anything if it's above anything else.
My advise if to shorten the list or go with a multiple choice poll.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 15, 2014, 08:21:19 am »

I vote reset.

I've been wanting to do eternal suggestion voting for ages, but some things are so entrenched or so outdated flooding the list that its lost its usefulness. The game has changed drastically since the list was first made, its time to reset it and see where our opinions stand on the new version.

Honestly I think a reset should be done every major release (if he keeps the ~2 year release pattern.)
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 15, 2014, 08:27:00 am »

Whilst I'm for some kind of drastic reset, there seems to be past evidence which indicate that ESV was made because the eternal aspect was desirable over (all?) else.

It's great that you made a poll on it, but there's too much to choose from.
It's rank-based, so you can simply rearrange the options by keeping the ones you value most, on top.

It seems a multiple-choice poll won't be necessary, since a lot of people want a reset.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:29:06 am by dorf »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 15, 2014, 10:41:50 am »

I think it makes the most sense to just go through and clean - not purge, not reset, not clear - just clean: the multi-suggestions cleared and split, duplicates combined, the ones that have already been implemented having their votes cleared, and the irrelevant ones removed. It would be a one-at-a-time thing, rather than dealing with just the first fifty, or all at once. The eternal aspect gets saved, and everybody's happy. If there was a way to alert people that their vote had been cleared, that would be good, too - it's been ten years since DF was first created, and a lot has changed, but not all.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 58