Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 798856 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #765 on: April 21, 2015, 12:11:30 pm »

Atomic Lamps!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 21, 2015, 12:14:59 pm »

You still have a few ways to generate power: engine+alternator or minireactor. Or if you have a car, you could use it to load a battery when you're scavenging.

You also have gasoline-powered lantern, but I don't know if they last for long.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 21, 2015, 12:21:01 pm »

Gas/Oil lanterns last 20 turns per charge (and take 1 to activate). Gas lantern holds 400 and Oil lantern holds 800, so 7,980/15,980 per full lantern.

If you're looking for gas mileage for lighting, you're better off with a engine+alternator and a dome light. Lamp oil though, comes in abundance if you have the recipe that uses tainted fat.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:22:52 pm by Blaze »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 21, 2015, 12:27:39 pm »

Well, looks like I have a bit of a problem. My main scavenging site, a nearby mansion, is now overrun by Fungaloids. I guess I will try to clear them out, since they are also a bit too close to comfort to my shelter.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 21, 2015, 12:35:54 pm »

I'd avoid fungaloids if you lack adequate protection and/or anti-parasite medication. It only takes one mistake to ruin your day.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 21, 2015, 12:43:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure solar panels are one of the things we have that automatically backdate like funnels do, so it's certainly possible a solar car outside would still be able to charge even while you were downstairs on another level. (Note that I'm not 100% sure on that though).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 21, 2015, 12:49:23 pm »

Solar panels charging underground was fixed quite some time ago.

Source: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/10086

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 21, 2015, 12:54:34 pm »

Found a LMOE shelter in a forest. I guess I just found my new permanent base. Since I've never done anything like that before, is it possible to make some kind of electrical lighting for the interior?

Lots of ways. You can use a car frame and a few different kinds of lights. There's light strips for just dropping on the ground as well. With removable batteries you could have a solar car outside and a light car inside. "Car" potentially being nothing but a few frames.
I should have specified, but "inside" is underground, so I doubt a solar car would work, since going underground seems to freeze the surface and the other way around if I'm on the surface. Thanks for the rest of the ideas though.

I'm talking about battery operated light. You can charge your battery outside and take it inside.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 21, 2015, 01:12:51 pm »

Find a rivtech binder and build yourself some night lights.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 21, 2015, 01:32:52 pm »

I'm reasonably sure solar panels do update while out of reality. I usually find one of the fancy ultralight electric cars, strip if of the Mk II panels, and mount them on a stationary frame outside just to charge storage batteries. It seems like the actual lightstrip/lantern effectiveness varies depending on if you have night vision or not, but I had good luck using either stationary frames or modified shopping carts for portable full-room lighting, and attaching dome light panels/vehicle controls to crafting stations for doing a lot of work in one area.

All that requires quite a bit of vehicle scrapping to establish though, so early going oil lamps are probably the most efficient, provided you can find triffids or fat-yielding zombies.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 21, 2015, 01:59:42 pm »

Just a quick question: Can I use trash cans as containers to store water from funnels?
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 21, 2015, 03:56:24 pm »

provided you can find triffids or fat-yielding zombies.
What game are you playing that you WOULDN'T find fat-yielding zombies? :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 21, 2015, 05:07:24 pm »

Just a quick question: Can I use trash cans as containers to store water from funnels?
Not unless its now an item instead or furniture. the only structure that can hold water is the keg, and I dont think you can put a funnel on one.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 21, 2015, 05:26:31 pm »

provided you can find triffids or fat-yielding zombies.
What game are you playing that you WOULDN'T find fat-yielding zombies? :P

I can make no argument against this logic. I am slain.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 22, 2015, 02:32:18 am »

Now that I've built myself a little mobile base (it's just a slightly expanded and reinforced cube van, so it's fairly 'little'), I have found a need for a smaller vehicle I could unfold out the back of this battlewagon, and scout and scavenge around in. The problem is that, for whatever reason, none of the motors and engines are foldable. Not even the sub-liter 1-cylinder ones you would get from i.e. a chainsaw. Tanks as well. Is that a design decision, or will there be technical issues if I just slap the foldable flag on the 1-cylinder engine and the little gas tank? I tested it with a small electric motor right now, and nothing bad seems to happen (although it's pathetic as motor. :P).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 451