Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 798869 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1485 on: June 25, 2015, 02:46:26 pm »

so tempted to make a 'hell on earth' mod now which replaces zombies and such with demons of various types
Rip and tear!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: June 25, 2015, 02:48:50 pm »

That does beg the question - why are there no fireimmune fire zombies, the same way there are electric shocker zombies? Is it just because they'd burn down all the houses in their path?
Fire immune or fire-spreading? Zombies that cause fires would probably cause huge problems with lag after enough time in the reality bubble. Fire-immune... I thought there were, but I actually didn't look into the code to see if zombie firemen are actually immune to fire.
They'd have to be fire-immune in order to be fire-spreading, so... :P

Could they be firey without being fire-spreading? I.e. they'd act on the tile they're in as if they were a fire, causing items to burn, ashing the ground, collapsing constructions, spreading heat around them, lighting everything up at night, but not producing actual fire fields unless it's a special attack like the spitter zombie's spit or the shocker's discharge.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: June 25, 2015, 05:30:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure zombie fire fighters are fire immune. Well at least they drop flame retardant suits.

Anyway, my idea of fixing the fire exploit would be to make it so that there are no naturally occurring fire zombies. Instead, I suggest that if an entity is exposed to flame, then there is a chance (unless they are fire-proof) that they will catch on fire. When that happens, they will continuously take burning damage and their attacks will burn anything they hit and they will also have a chance to ignite the target.

Now as for the player, the status effect will be applied to their clothing and the player has 3 options to deal with it.

Option 1: Dousing it in water (by jumping into a river or by applying something like a water bottle, or gasoline)

Option 2: remove the offending clothing and throw it away before the rest of you catches fire

Option 3: Stop-drop-and-roll and maybe you'll be lucky

So what do you guys think of this idea? I think it's a good idea since it prevents you from meleeing a zombie to make it stay in the fire (if you try that you'll get burned), and it also makes it so that it's only a chance that the zombie will be ignited meaning that you can't just spam your lighter willy nilly. Another thing I should mention is that in its current state you don't have to worry about fire spreading and causing lag.

I myself won't be able to code it since I don't know anything about C++ (besides how complex it is).
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dorfs R Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: June 25, 2015, 07:54:08 pm »

so I just started playing this game a couple of days ago. Decided to try the mall cop mall start. A suicidal npc with a flamethrower in the adjacent room burns down the mall. Playtime: less then one minute because of death by fire. Second attempt I started next to a wall that was already on fire before I played one turn. Playtime: less then one minute because of death by fire. Third attempt I run out of the mall immediately due to new found fear of fire and hid in the first house down the road. Found some nachos and yogurt on a table. I picked lactose intolerance as a trait but ate nachos and yogurt anyways. Vomited and saved game to play later.

10/10 will play again.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: June 25, 2015, 10:30:39 pm »

<Everyone is catching on, everyone is catching on, everyone is catching on fire>

I tried doing the thing where setting zombies on fire caused them to spread it, in practice the fire itself spread much faster than the zombies.
However, attacking a zombie that is on fire should at least burn you a bit, and possibly vice versa.

My plan for the fire exploit is to make fires take longer to set so you can't do it in combat, at least not trivially.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: June 25, 2015, 10:40:28 pm »

Unless you're using dry pine needles, it takes more than 6 seconds to get a fire going.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: June 25, 2015, 11:05:56 pm »

Another exploit is.. (don't look! Once you know you can't un-know!) ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But yeah, I love me some CataDDA :| I'm thinking, as the game progresses, we'll be able to totally remove zombies and insert any enemies we want.. In the end it'll be a World Simulator, and modders will be able to make it into vastly different things..

Strip out all the buildings and start on a Caveman mod..
Strip out all the supernatural stuff and add in a realistic police system and create that "controversial" serial killer rogue (or flip it around and play as the cop/detective)
With enhanced illness transmission it could be a viral outbreak sim, modern-day vampire sim
Dino mod is already there for fun
Strip out all NPCs and zombies and just have fun in an empty Langoliers-style world (you can already do this)
With the current in-game digging mechanics it might end up possible to recreate SimAnt :O

You can already rid the world of living humans and zombies, and lower the city size down so that "civilization" is barely represented.. Add in the ability to play as non-human characters and the potential goes up by magnitudes.. Just surviving the cataclysm as a dog would be an amazing ride all by itself!

The possibilities are too much!! :| My favorite playthroughs so far have been when I (cheat)spawn myself a folding bicycle and a military rucksack and just bike :> Never settle down or set up a base, only stop for sleep or gathering, and just cover ground on the ol' bicycle :)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: June 25, 2015, 11:56:20 pm »

Rollerblade all the streets!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: June 26, 2015, 12:08:38 am »

Would lighting things on fire vary in time, so that if you light tinder or, say, fuel soaked cloth it would be faster than trying to light a table?

And if not, would the new times affect lighting fuses? Because otherwise, I can see Molotovs being next to useless.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: June 26, 2015, 08:35:47 am »

lighting a fuse isn't the same as lighting a full blown campfire, so I'd imagine they'd go unchanged.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: June 26, 2015, 10:22:50 am »

where a burning bullet harmlessly fires its casing in a random direction, while the heavier shot stays harmlessly in the fire

I would hardly call that harmless. Bullets detonating out of their gun is still a pretty significant threat to everyone around the fire, because high-speed projectiles are still high-speed projectiles whether they're made of brass or copper-coated lead. Plus, I'd bet that most casings still weigh enough that the 'recoil' on the bullet would send it along at a decent pace, too.
Nothing important here, move along.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: June 26, 2015, 10:33:31 am »

where a burning bullet harmlessly fires its casing in a random direction, while the heavier shot stays harmlessly in the fire

I would hardly call that harmless. Bullets detonating out of their gun is still a pretty significant threat to everyone around the fire, because high-speed projectiles are still high-speed projectiles whether they're made of brass or copper-coated lead. Plus, I'd bet that most casings still weigh enough that the 'recoil' on the bullet would send it along at a decent pace, too.
Between the explosion not being constrained by the gun barrel, and the lesser mass/worse aerodynamics of the casing causing it to slow down much quicker, I'd say it's not going to be lethal anyway. Not harmless - rather painful, perhaps. But not lethal.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1497 on: June 26, 2015, 11:06:53 am »

Mobs/NPCs spreading fire is just a bad idea all around, for the reasons others have stated.

Things that go up in a flash (less than 6 seconds for our purposes):
  • dry tinder (be it pine needles, bark shavings, palm fronds, etc)
  • volatile flammables or flammable gasses
  • fuses, gunpowder, other non-inert explosives
As for the harm from a non-chambered round exploding, unless it's something on the order of a .50 Anti-Materiel round, it's not going to be worse than a high-powered Paintball gun (Is this not a thing yet? Seems like the kind of silly thing that would fit in :P).
And that's only if you're within a foot or two of it, *and* it just happens to be pointing directly at you. I suppose it could have 2 chances to hit, since the casing could also be pointing at the character (between legs).
Considering the mechanics at play here to make a hit come from a cooked-off round (which should take more than 6 seconds, btw, unless it's basically a furnace) the to-hit of the round should be pretty damn remote.
Also, there should be 0 to-hit for shotgun shells because the casings are made of plastic and will lose all strength before the powder detonates.

Basically, unless it's essentially a grenade, or (on scale with ammunition) a very large amount of heat-sensitive explosives, the results should be underwhelming.

Heat-sensitive explosives, for these purposes, will have a reaction at temperatures no more than 1800deg F.

E:Terms

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:39:04 am by n9103 »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 26, 2015, 11:23:45 am »

Another exploit is.. (don't look! Once you know you can't un-know!) ;)

Re: Fireman zombies and fire.   Actually this may be a fluke but I threw a Molotov at a bunch of zombies bunched up on a noisy car just yesterday.  It included a fireman zombie and the fireman zombie died in the small fire just like everything else did.  If they are supposed to be immune to fire, it's not working as of 3333

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

philae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 26, 2015, 12:52:40 pm »

Turrets now explode like grenades. This makes them very dangerous in labs - if you open a door and shoot it, you'll be in the blast radius.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 451