Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 798855 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2655 on: December 06, 2015, 07:14:19 pm »

IIRC from the last time the subject of back scabbards came up pretty much the only things that were ever carried in that way were bo staves and unstrung bows, and neither had any sort of quick draw capability from those.

Really the reason is that anything that can be carried in some sort of back scabbard could be carried much easier in a waist one, or carried in the hand if absolutely necessary.

IIRC any mutations that you take at charges count as your "base" form so you will actually purify towards them if at all possible, but it's been a while since I looked at that bit of code so it might have changed in the meantime.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: December 06, 2015, 07:28:34 pm »

I have a feeling they are directly incurable. However, as others have said, you can mutate them away. The other thing that is good about them is that they do not count towards mutation thresholds. So you can take robust genetics without additional risk of certain trees.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: December 06, 2015, 07:31:22 pm »

I feel like there should be a 'human' mutagen. Make yourself completely average! For a price...
Nothing important here, move along.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: December 06, 2015, 08:01:10 pm »

The price of being completely average?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: December 06, 2015, 11:02:41 pm »

Please, no maybes and probablys and iircs. Mythical easterlands of amazing ninjutsu samurai warriors, however romanticized, does not work as a basis for you to say 'maybe probly it existed'.

Swords don't work that way you propose. Cuttable sheaths? Did you actually just say that or am I going nutters again? I feel sorry for you that this will be offensive to you, but that was by large the stupidest thing I've heard this year. Nothing in that notion made sense.

A) scabbards are not only for transporting your sword, but also for protecting it. To have the sword cut through it completely defeats the purpose.
B) No samurais actually carried their swords in the back, even in situations where they carried multiple swords, they just slung all of them on their side.
C) Swords are not light sabers. If you've handled one, you'd know this. You can't just easily cut through a material with one swing without drawing or hacking the blade in some way. Even if that said disposable vinyl scabbard existed, you'd still have to DRAW the sword from the said scabbard to apply its cutting power to the material designed to be cut. Then again, if you can draw from your back, why use a disposable scabbard?

The ironic part about that is that that is potentially the stupidest post I've seen all year. Being such an asshole while also being so completely wrong is definitely a contender.

A disposable scabbard would be rather easy to make, and you clearly have no idea what you're on about. First you start off with a mostly normal nodachi scabbard. Then remove a slice on the narrow side that faces the blade, and wrap a thin cloth or material of some sort around the scabbard. Swords don't rattle around in scabbards, they're fairly tight, and hold them snugly, so it shouldn't move around enough to cut the fabric until you apply sideways force to the hilt with your hand. Boom, disposable back scabbard, and all you have to do is replace the cloth after you draw it. Not exactly ideal, and you might need to experiment a bit with types of cloth to find one that cuts smoothly but the concept would work. Now whether or not it would be practical enough to actually bother doing is another question, but you could definitely make one.

Also, I'd recommend injecting a bit more courtesy into your posts in the future, because you seriously sounded like a condescending asshole.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:14:06 pm by Kaitol »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: December 06, 2015, 11:02:44 pm »

Back scabbards weren't ever used historically, no such thing as a baldric or a setup where you 'transport' a sword or a rifle, or a long, thin pole shaped weapon in general on your back existed.
Spoiler: Err... (click to show/hide)

Bronze Pickle: I can't see how that'd work.  The scabbard is typically tucked into a thick waist sash (obi), you'd have to cut through that too!  If the scabbard was held freehand, that'd be awful awkward to hold it since you can't grip it the traditional way.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: December 06, 2015, 11:17:50 pm »

Generally you'd want it to have its own tether instead of tucking it in. It's not that hard, really, just an extra piece of string run through the wrapping that you could then tie around your waist.

Realistically, when performing iaido, most samurai gripped the sheath anyway to help the sword pull free faster. I imagine that anyone using the cut-free scabbard would probably want to do an underhand grip so they didn't slice their hand off, but worst case scenario I suppose it was a better trade off for most of them to lose a hand instead of their life.
Nothing important here, move along.

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: December 07, 2015, 12:27:22 am »

backpack style straps attached to velcro scabbard = profit?

Using a 3-4 point strap system would stabilize the scabbard so that when you pull it out the sword would separate the velcro and be able to move horizontally. Half the stuff in the cataclysm is already Macguyver'd crap that isn't super convenient or believable anyways. Why is putting a sword on your back such a big deal?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2663 on: December 07, 2015, 02:17:31 am »

Please exercise your calm and cool attitudes as you move about the topic.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bob_Namg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cream of your Crop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: December 08, 2015, 01:26:12 am »

Does anyone else check the github/experiment general update thread for Cataclysm regularly?
Adam Sandler.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: December 08, 2015, 01:33:29 am »

Not recently, why?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: December 08, 2015, 11:00:02 am »

snip
If you look, in the lower two pictures, you'll notice that the back scabbard is held by a knotted string meant to be untied. I'm pretty sure the sword was never unsheathed from the scabbard while worn.

In the first two pictures, either that sheath is meant to be taken off, or it is meant to slide over the shoulder to be unsheathed, the guy wouldn't have the arm length(or maybe barely) to draw a blade even that short in that position. Either way, it was probably meant for transport more than convenient access.

Edit: Werdna was trying to point out that people DID at least transport the sword on their backs and was not wrong in using those pictures. The same pictures are just also very good examples to show that they were not unsheathed while worn.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:11:13 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: December 08, 2015, 11:06:02 am »

gotta have some pretty dhalsim arms to unsheath a long blade from your back, to doit fast, and to sheath it reliably w/o damage to you or equipment.

Maybe a waist scabbard, to be slung behind theback and unsheathed at the hip in front.  that takes extra layering encunbrance for other waist items like holsters and canteens.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: December 08, 2015, 11:25:02 am »

You're telling me that with access to modern materials and knowledge, we couldn't fashion a scabbard that you could unsheathe a sword from the back with?

That seems preposterous. We can go to the moon, but we can't design a functional back scabbard. Just have it open along one side with a clasp.
If we do want to think hypothetically, given today's tech and materials a few things could be done for quick unsheathing though. You could have an electric motorized scabbard which has rubber rollers or something inside and rolls itself right off the sword and falls to the floor, you'd have to untie/unclip it from wherever it is held first though, and picking it back up, and tying it back on wouldn't be very quick unless you have some sort of specialized easy hook of some sort on your back for it.

I'm not really in favor of thing like this making it into the game though seeing as you can probably think up weird specific devices or setups for just about any inconvenience. Problem is a lot of them would most likely require an engineer to design them to be reliable, convenient, and durable. Hell I can even think up a way the nodachi scabbard in the above example doesn't have to be taken off, but you end up with a complex system which would be demolished the instant a hulk throws you to the ground or through a wall.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: December 08, 2015, 10:30:20 pm »

I don't see why a sword on your back can't simply be unslung, and then drawn, the same way a soldier unslings a rifle off their shoulder before using it.  If you're looking for a "quick draw", you should be looking for a shorter weapon.  :)
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 451