Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 798855 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2760 on: January 14, 2016, 10:35:09 pm »

dont bolognas come in packs of 30?  I love those, they last long enough to chow on and arent worthless
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: January 18, 2016, 10:02:52 am »

is possible to heal a arm or leg with 0hp ?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: January 18, 2016, 10:24:52 am »

Yes. Craft and wear a splint. I think they may heal automatically, even without, but a splint speeds it up. Still takes a few days. Also, I think a hospital might still be able to help, but its very risky.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: January 18, 2016, 10:51:00 am »

i have two leg with 0.... is very hard  :'(

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: January 18, 2016, 11:19:03 pm »

I can confirm splints work.  I had an NPC buddy stand in spitter acid like a dumbass intelligence impaired person and she had 0 hp with both legs.  Moved at like 1/4th speed.   Made two leg splints and told her to use them and her hp on her legs got better after about 24 hours.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: January 19, 2016, 06:38:03 pm »

I've heard a lot of good things about this game on Roguelike Radio so I think I'll be giving it a shot. And since it's more modern than games like NetHack, I've made a conscious effort to dive in spoiler-free.

Any tips for newbies that aren't necessarily spoilers? Like good ways to approach the game, settings or things that aren't explained that well?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:42:15 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: January 19, 2016, 06:55:51 pm »

Take advantage of movement penalties, like bushes or window frames, to slow zombies down while fighting them, and save your ammo. If you can shank a bitch, you don't need to waste a cap in they ass.

Generally, unless you're carrying something REALLY heavy like an engine or a truck wheel, your main obstacle is lack of volume, like pockets and backpacks.

Warmth is semi-hard to do, generally you can get everything covered and warm, but doing it without encumberance is a puzzle, and so is covering your mouth/face without getting it frostbitten.

Always carry a (butchering-quality) knife, hammer, and screwdriver. If you can get a toolbox, all the better, but you still need the knife. This way you can dismantle things that you come across on the fly, and butcher zombie corpses.

A (bone/wood) sewing needle and a sewing kit are basically interchangable.

You can dismantle most things to get their base components, like rags or leather patches, though some things need a special tool like a soldering iron or a knife to do it.

You can get thread from rags by dismantling/cutting them, and you can use this thread with a needle to repair and reinforce your clothing, which trains tailoring so you can eventually make your own, much better items.

Books are a godsend, one of the first places I loot if it's even remotely accessible is a library. Store them in your base and read them when you're not out hunting for supplies. You don't need to read them entirely, just get the skill out of them and keep them near your crafting stations so as to use them for recipes, you don't need to memorize the recipes (you generally memorize them by doing the actual crafting)

If something SOUNDS too strong to fight, it generally is. Special mention to brutes, hulks, and robots: they will kick the ass of even strong characters if you don't fight them smart.

SOME OF THIS MAY BE OUTDATED BY 6+ MONTHS.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: January 19, 2016, 09:06:06 pm »

Generally, unless you're carrying something REALLY heavy like an engine or a truck wheel, your main obstacle is lack of volume, like pockets and backpacks.
Fun fact, if you need to move something with a lot of volume, you can wield it.

Warmth is semi-hard to do, generally you can get everything covered and warm, but doing it without encumberance is a puzzle, and so is covering your mouth/face without getting it frostbitten.
Balaclava is your friend and easy to make. Probably won't deal with ALL the cold, but it helps.

Always carry a (butchering-quality) knife, hammer, and screwdriver. If you can get a toolbox, all the better, but you still need the knife. This way you can dismantle things that you come across on the fly, and butcher zombie corpses.
Note: You can {S}mash corpses to prevent them getting back up. Toolboxes are also very large and heavy. Keep the hammer and screwdriver.

A (bone/wood) sewing needle and a sewing kit are basically interchangable.
I've been wondering about this one. Don't lower quality tailoring tools make you more likely to fail at tailoring?

You can dismantle most things to get their base components, like rags or leather patches, though some things need a special tool like a soldering iron or a knife to do it.
Applying a knife can give you the option to cut up something as well.

You can get thread from rags by dismantling/cutting them, and you can use this thread with a needle to repair and reinforce your clothing, which trains tailoring so you can eventually make your own, much better items.
Do note that disassembling a rag for thread takes a long time.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

blazing glory

« Reply #2768 on: January 19, 2016, 09:26:01 pm »

Do note that disassembling a rag for thread takes a long time.
My own preferred source of thread would be smashing windows for long string, disassemble the string and the smaller strings and you get 300 thread, faster then rags too.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: January 19, 2016, 09:41:46 pm »

Just saying, there's a lot of sources for thread.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: January 19, 2016, 09:51:11 pm »

Any tips for newbies that aren't necessarily spoilers? Like good ways to approach the game, settings or things that aren't explained that well?

Choosing a good weapon is important. Spear type weapons, wooden bludgeoning weapons or unarmed combat with a simple but effective martial art are probably best starting off. Slashing weapons, especially the early ones, get stuck in things too often to be really viable at the start. You can branch out to basically any weapon once your Melee skill is decent[6ish, usually], though, so don't feel boxed in by your early choices.

Try to keep torso encumbrance at a minimum while maximizing storage space, warmth and protection. Below or equal to the level of your Melee skill is generally a good guideline.

If you're starting as a survivor[They're pretty good, so I recommend doing just that], your winter coat will kill you if you try to to fight while wearing it early on. Either drop a couple points in Melee & Dodging or try and take it off before fighting some zeds. It takes some time to take off, so make sure you're far enough away to doff your coat before the zombies start bopping you.

Speed is important. Almost any speed or mobility traits you pick at the start of the game will be godsends early on and won't lose much luster later either. Don't stack more then maybe two of them though, there are often better things for your starting points to be used for. Apparently you can change movement modes now, so sprinting away from things is probably a good plan if things go south.

This is a bit more spoilery, but ALWAYS take Robust Genetics. While it takes forever to get to, the games' mutation system is really neat and Robust Genetics makes it much MUCH easier to fiddle with.

Avoid smoke like the plague: Exposure without a gas or filter mask will mess you up for hours afterwards and can be fatal if you're already beat up.

Pain above double digits severely impairs your ability to fight. Call it quits if you get too beat up.

Infections will auto-kill you after a few days, so they're pretty nasty if left untreated. First aid kits and disinfectant cure it if the wound is blue. If you have neither, but have a lighter or a matchbook on you, cauterize the wound with a knife until it is no longer affected. This hurts a lot and does substantial damage, so maybe end your scavenging trip after doing this. I think you need antibiotics or other more advanced medicine once the infection's set in and the affected limb is green.

If you're playing with static NPCs[Which I recommend, although dynamic NPCs are still really buggy, IIRC], the starting one in the shelter is a mid-grade weapon of destruction. Herd them towards zombies and they'll generally tear through them pretty easily so you can loot their stuff. Ware friendly fire though, especially if they have flamethrowers. They can also make enough noise to attract nastier zombies, so don't follow them too closely.

Stats, like Int or Str, are very difficult to raise. There are a few lategame ways to to it, but you'll keep your starting stats for quite a while. Skills are usually easier to raise, especially for the first few levels of them, so avoid putting too many starting points in them. Traits are the same: You can eventually gain more through lategame means, but that won't be for a while yet.

Stay healthy. Don't drink water without boiling it. Vitamins are your friend. Eat a couple a day and you won't get sick. Sickness is hella lame.

Foodwise, forests are your best bet if heading to town to scavenge is too dangerous. [E]xamining undergrowth lets you forage for food and any decently sized forest will net you more then enough food, although some basic skills are required to take full advantage of it.

Don't minmax yourself TOO much. There are a couple traits that are basically free points, but many other disadvantages[Like the various allergies and ESPECIALY Glass Jaw] will become headaches later down the road[Literally, in the case of the latter].

Ampersands are bad news. That's almost always the case in roguelikes and C:DDA is no exception.

Moose will fuck your shit up pretty badly. And, as a Canadian, I can confirm this is realistic. Real life moose are ornery fuckers who attack CARS. And usually win, although sometimes posthumously.

Some people rave about finding a car with enough wheels and fuel early and driving it around everywhere, but cars make decent noise and the interface is tricky. Maybe designate one as your getaway car if a REALLY nasty enemy appears, but otherwise stay away from them until later in the game.

A good base of operations is pretty important. The starting shelter can work well, but any other hideout with the following things going for it will be just fine as well:

- A constant light source. The working terminal in the starting shelter is by far the best example of this, especially early-game. A torch can substitute for this in a pinch, but isn't as sustainable.

- A basement, where you can sleep. Being on a seperate z-level, zombies can't smell you as well when you're there. Again, starting shelter works great.

- An infinite source of water. Mansions and hotels have swimming pools, which have functionally unlimited amounts of water in them. Otherwise, toilets and rainfall will usually be fine unless you're spending a LOT of time reading skill books or something.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:01:50 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: January 19, 2016, 10:01:50 pm »

Yes. Craft and wear a splint. I think they may heal automatically, even without, but a splint speeds it up. Still takes a few days. Also, I think a hospital might still be able to help, but its very risky.
In the newer experimentals splints are used on one arm/leg.  Be sure its on the correct limb, and switch sides if you need to.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: January 19, 2016, 10:27:06 pm »

Maybe designate one as your geSenpaiy car

Someone has a crush on tawa :P

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: January 19, 2016, 11:08:28 pm »

Maybe designate one as your geSenpaiy car

Someone has a crush on Senpai:P

Oh. OH. That makes so much sense now. I though "geSenpaiy" was just a meme I didn't recognize and that everyone else used. Apparently its just an unintended consequence of my textreplace add-on corrupting "Getaway". Well. Should be fixed now, I hope.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2774 on: January 19, 2016, 11:14:00 pm »

That's hilarious
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 451