Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 798880 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5160 on: April 14, 2018, 08:42:31 pm »

found a matchbook and a lighter this time so at least I can make fire and get clean water now. Havn't been foraging as much this time since there's a bio operator zed floating around out that way.
I seem to have lost the map that was in the bottom right of my ui. the one that showed all the critters on it. now I just have the text taking up the whole area. not sure how to get it back.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: April 14, 2018, 09:25:58 pm »

1: Make default language in settings English instead of system language. It's really weird having ~ 5 % of words in Finnish while everything else is in English...
It works like it does due to specific requests by other people who want the default to reflect their system language.  I wonder if a compromise where it defaults to system language only when more than x% of the language is translated would work.
2: I found myself missing the push functionality from UnReal World. It's like dropping to adjacent tile, but the items don't need to be in inventory. I know I can use advanced inventory management, but it's just so much hassle compared to pressing a key, choosing a direction, and selecting the items on the tile you're on which you want to push to the tile in chosen direction.
Seems reasonable.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: April 14, 2018, 09:29:45 pm »

CDDA is going fine imo. What I hope for is an auto-maintenance feature, like DF work order.

When you return to your lmoe, push one button, and you auto cook, have dinner, drink, repair weapon, repair armor, repair car, then sleep, then wake up and have breakfast, and drink some refreshing dandelion tea.

It would save so many keystrokes.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: April 15, 2018, 02:10:24 am »

Sigh. damn bio operative zed.
Just when I felt like I was getting ahead.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: April 15, 2018, 08:07:28 am »

1: Make default language in settings English instead of system language. It's really weird having ~ 5 % of words in Finnish while everything else is in English...
It works like it does due to specific requests by other people who want the default to reflect their system language.  I wonder if a compromise where it defaults to system language only when more than x% of the language is translated would work.

I figured this might be the case after I saw something about a German translation when looking into CDDA's development yesterday. The major languages are more likely to find people to do complete translations, and also to expect things in their native language (especially in Germany and other countries were movies and TV programs are dubbed).

The compromise could be nice. Though it needs someone (the translator) or something (an algorithm) to keep track of translation progress. Or maybe just don't include the language files if the translation is not complete enough?

Anyway, next time I setup CDDA I'll know to change the setting to English :)

2: I found myself missing the push functionality from UnReal World. It's like dropping to adjacent tile, but the items don't need to be in inventory. I know I can use advanced inventory management, but it's just so much hassle compared to pressing a key, choosing a direction, and selecting the items on the tile you're on which you want to push to the tile in chosen direction.
Seems reasonable.

Great! :) And thanks for the reply!

In other news: I found out that giant wasps are tougher than I remembered, that the reason I liked the ballroom dancer profession is the 2 dodge, and that the game can crash even though it's the stable version. (I have the game on fullscreen and was alt-tabbed to look for something in the wiki.)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: April 15, 2018, 08:12:04 am »

I'm getting REALLY sick of frostbite, wouldn't be so bad if the apocalypse happened later, when it wasn't snowing and cold to the point of that, so that I could get stuff to protect from the frostbite...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: April 15, 2018, 08:18:11 am »

In other news: I found out that giant wasps are tougher than I remembered, that the reason I liked the ballroom dancer profession is the 2 dodge, and that the game can crash even though it's the stable version. (I have the game on fullscreen and was alt-tabbed to look for something in the wiki.)

The stable is a lot less stable than most experimentals.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: April 15, 2018, 08:31:28 am »

I'm getting REALLY sick of frostbite, wouldn't be so bad if the apocalypse happened later, when it wasn't snowing and cold to the point of that, so that I could get stuff to protect from the frostbite...

You can change the starting season in the world options. Otherwise, even with basic tailoring skills, you can use materials from the shelter to quickly make something to cover your extremities - repeatedly making and disassembling wraps is also good for reaching tailoring level 1 from 0. Staying indoors helps deal with the cold, and if you can have a safe spot to build an indoor fire(oven, fireplaces in the fancier houses), that can help a lot as well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: April 15, 2018, 10:41:46 am »

You can change the starting season in the world options. Otherwise, even with basic tailoring skills, you can use materials from the shelter to quickly make something to cover your extremities - repeatedly making and disassembling wraps is also good for reaching tailoring level 1 from 0. Staying indoors helps deal with the cold, and if you can have a safe spot to build an indoor fire(oven, fireplaces in the fancier houses), that can help a lot as well.
It says something about zombie spawns, making me think it would get a LOT harder to start in a later date, not really sure though. And I have this problem with getting REALLY unlucky with shelter spawns, such as what happened my most recent attempt at playing, where I got a lighter I think it was, and nothing else

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: April 15, 2018, 11:25:58 am »

Unless things have changed in comparison to the old version i play, lighters used to be a great asset against most common zombies :
With the lighter put fire to nearby vegetations like those shrubs and lead zombies inside the fire, so not only shrub make them slower allowing you to strike a few times without retaliation but they're burning fast.
Not that usefull against the superior zombies variant and other large monsters.

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: April 15, 2018, 01:55:36 pm »

found a matchbook and a lighter this time so at least I can make fire and get clean water now. Havn't been foraging as much this time since there's a bio operator zed floating around out that way.
I seem to have lost the map that was in the bottom right of my ui. the one that showed all the critters on it. now I just have the text taking up the whole area. not sure how to get it back.

I think shift+n brings the minimap back

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: April 15, 2018, 10:26:06 pm »

Unless things have changed in comparison to the old version i play, lighters used to be a great asset against most common zombies :
With the lighter put fire to nearby vegetations like those shrubs and lead zombies inside the fire, so not only shrub make them slower allowing you to strike a few times without retaliation but they're burning fast.
Not that usefull against the superior zombies variant and other large monsters.
Last I played a few months back (may be misremembering) they made lighting a fire with a lighter take longer.  Still possible and in some cases even reasonable to do as a zed defense, but not something you can do spur of the moment with a zombie only a couple tiles away.  I vaguely recall needing kindling now as well, as the bush still burns but you need something flammable in it to start the fire off.  Both of those being changes I recall liking.  I didn't like insta flames anywhere.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: April 15, 2018, 11:25:53 pm »

so I've figured out how to kite kill most the easy Zeds without taking too many hits, but stronger ones still have me stumped, tried to take on the Zed Soldier and got stomped, I couldn't do more than a couple of damage each hit. ended up scumsaving and going back to the night before. I guess I can shoot him, I started off as a military recruit so I have an assault rifle, with 20 rounds left. managed to take out a Mi-Go using it a little earlier in the game.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: April 15, 2018, 11:34:13 pm »

The assault rifle won't help much against a zombie wearing gear specifically designed to protect from rifle bullets. Soldier Z's have a lot of cut resistance from their armour, so use a bashing weapon such as a baseball bat.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:34 pm »

hirmn, I need something that can reach out and hit it.
I've got a nord, but it doesn't have the reach of the spear. so I can't hit and run.
also, how does the damage work when you have a weapon that does two different types of damage?
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 451