Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Let's play Master of Orion 2 : + Parts 4,5 - Gnolam Genocide!  (Read 5446 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Let's play Master of Orion 2 : + Parts 4,5 - Gnolam Genocide!
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:47:18 am »

Greetings folks!

I am in a dire need to practice my spoken english. I have had a big problem with my work because I forgot to make some really important stuff last month, so now I change my job. And I really need a good spoken english here.

So I start a let's play. It's part fun, part necessity. I need to practice my pronounciation, and I don't feel like talking to myself near a mirror :D.

So here you get it. My first video is being uploaded. You will have a link soon.

I start a game in a Large galaxy on Impossible difficulty with a custom race. You can critisize my english, my game decisions but not my family status :P.

See you around and wait for a link!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:32:34 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Master of Orion 2
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:52:01 am »

Yaaay.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:40:13 pm »

Okay, here's the link. Please enjoy :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »

Watching!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »

Posting to watch :3
*Hugs*

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:58:01 pm »

Can you even understand what am I saying? :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 01:00:17 pm »

That accent is just amazing X3 You seem clear enough to me.
*Hugs*

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:32:24 pm »

Good to hear.

I will also use modded graphics, so you can request your ship designs. However there are only 5 leaders, so some of you may be lesser ships. And the amount of graphical designs is limited.

Here's what I use for a scout:
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »

Regarding your English: watch out for words with "i" letter. As a rule of thumb, in true English words(i.e.not borrowed from other languages, like French or Latin) it's never pronounced as you do - e.g. your ship sounds like sheep, because you treat "i" as if it was the equivalent of Russian "и", while it is closer to your "Ы"(if not exactly the same - check the pronounciation in these links of words like bit - but not beatfit - but not feet, ship - but not sheep).
As far as I can tell, it's a common problem among the native speakers of Slavic languages learning English.

Any chance of eliminating the background noise? It makes it harder to focus on what you're saying.

Also, I call dibs on the Bulrathi ship commander, if you ever come across him. Board these ships, arrrr!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 02:19:15 pm »

Great, I've never actually tried to board anything. It should be fun to try to work on a special boarding ship.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's really hard for me to say sheep and ship differently when I don't pay attention specifically to it :). While I try to practice it, we will be playing a space herding game with sheep everywhere ;D.

The noise probably comes from my bad microphone, but I will make a few tests and adjustments to make it clearer.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 02:40:54 pm »

Just so that it's clear - it's not just "ship", also e.g."rich"(yours sounds like "reach"), "is"(sounds like "ease"), "big"(sounds like "beak" - make sure to voice the "g". I don't know about Russian, but it's possible that you're doing the so called "final-word-devoicing", which turns the last voiced consonant into an unvoiced equivalent, so "g"->"k". This works in e.g. Polish, and quite likely also in Russian, but it doesn't exist in English), "insects", "still"(sounds like "steal"), "lizard", and maybe a few more that I missed.

Also, if you're into British pronounciation, rather than American, you can safely forget all "r"s that come before consonants, or are the last letter in a word. So you don't have to pronounce "r" in "word" or "star" at all etc.

Regarding the game - I'm sorry to hear that you're taking Psilons as the base of your custom race. There's nothing like beating the shit out of the AI with Bulrathis.(although, 9 times out of 10, you're going to lose to less-than-perfect rng etc. Still, don't be taking Creative, please?)

ed: typos
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:02:51 pm by Il Palazzo »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 02:56:22 pm »

Vector here!  Help with pronunciation when I have an opportunity to actually listen to this stuff.

Neat idea, by the way =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 03:03:43 pm »

Just so that it's clear - it's not just "ship", also e.g."rich"(yours sounds like "reach"), "is"(sounds like "ease"), "big"(sounds like "beak" - make sure to voice the "g". I don't know about Russian, but it's possible that you're doing the so called "final-word-devoicing", which turns the last voiced consonant into an unvoiced equivalent, so "g"->"k". This works in e.g. Polish, and quite likely also in Russian, but it doesn't exist in English), "insects", "still"(sounds like "steal"), "lizard", and maybe a few more that I missed.

Also, if you're into British pronounciation, rather than American, you can safely forger all "r"s that come before consonants, or are the last letter in a word. So you don't have to pronounce "r" in "word" or "star" at all etc.

Regarding the game - I'm sorry to hear that you're taking Psilons as the base of your custom race. There's nothing like beating the shit out of the AI with Bulrathis.(although, 9 times out of 10, you're going to lose to less-than-perfect rng etc. Still, don't be taking Creative, please?)
Eh, I am creative aquatic :). There's no real way to get many needed techs on Impossible without picking creative or really high spying skills :).

I plan not to make it too long, and I am not a pro player (I only had 2 moo2 games after a long break) so expect to see some fail and plunder of my colonies :). I will be aggressive to AI though. I mainly like Creative because during a midgame I like to rush research and depend on battle stations, and with Creative they rock against AI ships because of all the additions coming from otherwise useless techs.

Also I don't want to play rocket valley + retreat + tough scouts surviving shaeningans, so I will need those techs :D.

Bulrathi are only good at envading. You still have to kill those 10+ titans somehow, that's where you need Achilles with the best beam weapons.

I may make an impossible Uncreative run after that though. I just want to clearly win this time.

P.S. And yeah, I tend to "eat" the last letters of words in russian, so I see where the problem comes from. I will try to work on it! :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 03:30:32 pm »

Heh. Let me tell you about Bulrathi(or, rather, the custom race focused on ground attack bonuses).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But I digress. Awaiting your next video.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 03:36:32 pm »

Sign me up for this.

Last game I played was Impossible Creative Demo with plus one research.  I had a poor homeworld, -1 infantry, -1 spy, -1 ship defence.  Fortunately, no Psilons.

I was able to put off major wars until the end, the produced SP Phaser-armed ships, with Achilles and Structural Analyser.  One of my Doomstars could slice through ten of my opponents.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."
Pages: [1] 2 3