Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress graphics repositories  (Read 97595 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress graphics repositories
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 09:59:01 pm »

What's the objection to including pre-cooked versions of the up-sized graphics sets in the packs? Is it just a matter of file size/avoiding duplicates?

Nothing serious, so we're likely to do this.

In we can make on-the-fly rescaling work well it would be much more flexible though, and could significantly reduce filesize.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 01:54:35 am »

fricy "Removed assorted river/lake fauna until raw conflicts are resolved" on the 28th, when Habbadax fixed these conflicts back on the 26th. While fricy has never ignored problems when they are brought to his attention, I think it's important that others realize that he cannot be expected to maintain all of the definition files let alone each set in the repo.

If the game loads for him using a particular set it gets a pass and is "updated". I definitely don't blame his process considering the idea of maintaining all those sets seems ludicrous, but I hope that people with the know how could help out on github to avoid these issues in the future. Ideally someone could even reorganize the Frankenstein sets, but just having them defined correctly so that "updated" actually meant updated would be a good start. Heh.

Anyway, good luck.

edit: I pointed Habbadax towards this thread.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:58:05 am by burned »
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 03:02:27 am »

Todo: port or write linting tools to catch as much as possible, and hook them up to Travis CI for automated testing.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 07:33:44 am »

I'm all for standardizing the various DF graphics and using a common github repo that all graphics authors can contribute to and I obviously give permission to use all my stuff.
How would it be organized? Each graphics author has his own repo that gets pushed/pulled to the common DFgraphics repo? Or do we directly work on the central repo?

As for the license thing something like
  • free to modify, redistribute, etc for DF and DF-related 3rd party utilities, repositories, etc
  • free to use for other non commercial products with credits
  • extra permission required for use in commercial products
Would be what I'd prefer for my stuff. No idea what a good license for that would be.

Some other things:

For graphic sets, maybe we could agree on a common organization (i.e. where which creatures are on the graphic sets and how they're separated). That would make it easier to spot errors, maintain, and update all graphics of the community with minimal effort.
I assume the easiest would be to follow the organization and order from the raws (I'm probably the only one who doesn't already separate the creature graphic sets by their raw files, but I'm not sure if the order within is the same for everyone).
Ideally we would have a template and a script that generates that template from the raws. so when new creatures are added, it's easier to update.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:43 am »

For graphic sets, maybe we could agree on a common organization (i.e. where which creatures are on the graphic sets and how they're separated). That would make it easier to spot errors, maintain, and update all graphics of the community with minimal effort.
I assume the easiest would be to follow the organization and order from the raws (I'm probably the only one who doesn't already separate the creature graphic sets by their raw files, but I'm not sure if the order within is the same for everyone).
Ideally we would have a template and a script that generates that template from the raws. so when new creatures are added, it's easier to update.

What great ideas!

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 12:19:23 pm »

What's the objection to including pre-cooked versions of the up-sized graphics sets in the packs? Is it just a matter of file size/avoiding duplicates?

The multiple art assets can be present in the art directory, but the original init file can be managed by the scripts calling the git repo.  It might be nice to include some standardized notation of art sizes so that they are easily handled without duplicating code: ei, <art_name>_15x15.png, <art_name>_18x18.png, etc.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 12:23:17 pm »

It might be an overkill, but it would be nice to have a standardized xml file to suffice as a dictionary of available assets instead of separate repos for sizes or compatibilities (Vanilla, TWBT, etc.).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:28:20 pm by Clatch »

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 12:51:46 pm »

The multiple art assets can be present in the art directory, but the original init file can be managed by the scripts calling the git repo.  It might be nice to include some standardized notation of art sizes so that they are easily handled without duplicating code: ei, <art_name>_15x15.png, <art_name>_18x18.png, etc.

This is also a great idea!  This way we can include all resolutions in a single release and not having to have different git repositories for different resolutions.   This nomenclature already exists in the /art/ folder, we just need to implement it inside the raw/graphics folder.   It has an added benefit, if we include 16/24/32 assets in all releases, then we can later use a TWBT-like hack to use different ones at different zoom levels (just a crazy idea).

What about the following summary of these ideas:

1.  Defining a naming structure and tile positioning standard that authors must follow if they want their tileset to be included in both the repository and PyLNP (this means that each creature's position must be exactly the same for all tilesets. i.e. same file, same x,y coordinate).
2.  Updating dead, but loved, tilesets to match this standard (I'm thinking that we can start with spacefox).
3.  Append the resolution to the name of all files within the raw/graphics. Folder (i.e. dwarves.png->dwarves_16x16.png).
4.  Add upscaled assets to those sets that merit it, using the same folder structure (i.e. so now /raw/graphics/spacefox/ contains dwarves_16x16.png, dwarves_24x24.png, & dwarves_32x32.png). 
5.  Adding a resolution selection option to PyLNP, so that PyLNP can customize the .txt files that tell DF which file to use (defaulting to the original if no other resolutions are present).

Another crazy idea is creating a universal repository with all tilesets in subfolders (similar to what fricy is currently doing with the hybrids), but including all graphics assets (they must be standardized in terms of filenames and tile positioning) and write a separate application that allows a user to chose which dwarves to use, which elves, which animals, etc.   Similar to the way many Skyim mods install.  All that would be necessary is updating the .txt files so that they use the right files and resolutions

Just brainstorming

EDIT:  I have been looking at the raw/object folders and I think I could make a MATLAB script that takes a current graphics set and standardizes it (regardless of the original structure), both in terms of its png and its text files based on a given DF build.   Hmmmm! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.  If I can make it work then we could use it to very easily adapt to any new structure or clasification Toady may come up with.  I'll give it a try with creatures and animals first and let you know how it goes
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:54:37 pm by Quiet-Sun »

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 05:21:24 pm »

Hey guys, I need some help with something.   Looking at the txts I see that most lines use square brackets:

[DEFAULT:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

but sometimes there are parenthesis ():

((CREATURE_GRAPHICS:FROGMAN))
   ((CHILD:SPHR_MON:0:2:AS_IS:DEFAULT))

and sometimes exclamation marks:

!CREATURE_GRAPHICS:CAT]
   !DEFAULT:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   !CHILD:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   !ANIMATED:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT] zombie
   !!!!!SKELETON:PHOEBUS_ANIMALS:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT] skeleton

What is the meaning of these symbols?  why SKELETON always have 4 exclamation marks?  Do I need to keep this formating?   Thanks a lot!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 05:35:25 pm »

I was under the impression that only square brackets work. The parentheses and exclamation marks might be fancy ways to comment out lines, i.e. make them non-functional.

Best idea would be to test if these entries actually work in game.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 05:38:30 pm »

I was under the impression that only square brackets work. The parentheses and exclamation marks might be fancy ways to comment out lines, i.e. make them non-functional.

Best idea would be to test if these entries actually work in game.

Thank you so much CLA!  I will for the moment only use entries with a square bracket.   One more question.  Do you know what is the difference between something like this:

[STANDARD:BIRDS:2:0:AS_IS:ANIMATED]

and something like this:

[ANIMATED:DOREN_CRITTERMEN:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

?

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 06:30:08 pm »

Square brackets are the only way for them to be read as graphics, if you just comment out

you will make the next graphic below that messed up. Had that problem with alpacas in spacefox. Though for whatever reason it won't mess up the one below the one it messes up.

They are both skelton/zombie/evil class monsters in your examples, the second example is how it is normally done, I've no idea who did the first one or if it'd work but it might. The comments are that way so they are easy to mass reverse, you wouldn't see the same comment on both sides afterall as that would be counter productive. Skeleton is no longer used I believe just the animated but it was left in, in the case that it gets reused.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:32:23 pm by LeoCean »

Quiet-Sun

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • www.solardynamo.org
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 06:43:09 pm »

Square brackets are the only way for them to be read as graphics, if you just comment out

you will make the next graphic below that messed up. Had that problem with alpacas in spacefox. Though for whatever reason it won't mess up the one below the one it messes up.

They are both skelton/zombie/evil class monsters in your examples, the second example is how it is normally done, I've no idea who did the first one or if it'd work but it might. The comments are that way so they are easy to mass reverse, you wouldn't see the same comment on both sides afterall as that would be counter productive. Skeleton is no longer used I believe just the animated but it was left in, in the case that it gets reused.

Thank you Leo!  The first implementation is the one I found inside Mayday's set.  For example:

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:TOAD]
   [DEFAULT:CREATURES:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:CREATURES:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [STANDARD:CREATURES:2:0:AS_IS:ANIMATED]
   [STANDARD:CREATURES:3:0:AS_IS:GHOST]

I also found it in the Afro-Graphics set for Beefmo animals:

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:BIRD_STORK_WHITE]
   [DEFAULT:BIRDS:30:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CHILD:BIRDS:30:1:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   STANDARD:BIRDS:30:2:AS_IS:ANIMATED

Although I assume that in this case it will ignore the line because it doesn't have a bracket.

Now, inside Ironhand I see:

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:DOG]
  [DEFAULT:CRITTER:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
  [CHILD:CRITTER:1:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
  [ANIMATED:CRITTER:2:0:AS_IS:ANIMATED]

I'm a little confused  :o

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 07:38:03 pm »

Note that the Tokens GHOST and ANIMATED go in the profession spot, not the texture token as you would expect - this means that you can't have separate graphics for miner zombies, axedwarf zombies, speardwarf zombies, etc.

That's how I understand it works. The others might be mistakes. Again, your best bet is to just test if these creature graphics actually work or not (and update the wiki in case something turns out to be wrong).

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 07:40:32 pm »

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20