Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 595618 times)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2011, 08:21:29 am »

Hey, as long as i will be able to recruit an band o minotaurs in good  :P
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2011, 08:48:12 am »

My preference would be to kill your minotaurs and then add them to my band of undeads.

...Will that be possible?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2011, 09:19:26 am »

My preference would be to kill your minotaurs and then add them to my band of undeads.

So perhaps in the future you can go solo and bait an enemy army into an area you've set traps on, which kills quite a few of them and cuts off any method of retreat and then resurrect said dead to cause panic *snip*

Up to this point, you're bang on the money!  :P
Seems like it is.

Hopefully we'll be able to tear out their bones to raise as skeletons. Then use the remaining bags of flesh to form flesh horrors. And use the pools of blood to make blood golems. Maybe some mutant organs like acid spitting stomachs, worms made out of intestines that constrict and swallow you whole and then slowly digest you, or compound flying brains that can cast spells.

Waste not, want not.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:26:00 am by Blaze »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2011, 04:21:08 pm »

looks like the B12 forums love this kind of game, it has a fair few followers and it isn't even released in alpha!
If the dev wasn't going to start a thread I was going to do it. Nobody (especially Bay 12 community) should miss this game.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2011, 05:36:26 pm »

New blog post is up: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/

This mirrors my views on "quests" exactly. I never liked pre-programmed quests in RPGs, so it will be nice to see a game that has characters with real motivations try to recruit you to their cause, and the results of your actions actually affecting the world.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2011, 06:37:28 pm »

I like the sound of it already. How "defined" are the objectives of said quests though?

Say, if the objective was "Don't let Faction X take over Area Y", could I complete it by nuking the entire place to kingdom come?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2011, 06:51:00 pm »

As long as you can encounter stuff like Bear Cavalry then I'm good.

However, be sure to include some exotic units. For example, the Dwarves could have a gigantic Wombat that they essentially get really mad and then turn loose on the enemy ranks where it acts like the animal equivalent of an armed tank. Since in real life, they are built like tanks to begin with and are fairly dangerous despite their size then they could be a cool and unique unit.
Then have the overhanging danger that they could turn against your forces and cause as much damage and you have something that wouldn't even be thought about.

Maybe not QUITE giant wombats, but I get what you're saying :) - some forces might be likely to enlist particular wild animals to their causes...

I see a lot of questions which were answered in the blog. Still, our helpful developer who answered all these questions without pointing that out. Now I feel bad about saying that.

Erm... "helpful developer" sounds nice but your nick may be confused with your game title and I don't know what to call you :D Would you prefer Mark Johnson, Mark, Mr. Johnson (not the movie), Mark the Genius, The Overlord or Terminator? Just making silly jokes but seriously, you are a genius or very brave for starting a huge game like this :D

By the way, how are you going to implement riding?

No worries; it's awesome that people are interested enough to ask questions! Haha, I don't mind -Mark works for me, or helpful developer, or Maas Biolabs, which is the username I use on a lot of websites and forums. Wow, thanks :) - I hope it'll turn out well. I'm still trying to get us closer and closer to the alpha, but it'll be a few months yet until the first version of this epic undertaking is actually playable.

Riding... not sure yet. I'll start with horses, and it'll likely effectively function as improved speed, health, and reach. We'll see how that works out first...

Still can't wait for the alpha to be released, and your worldgen looks awesome (despite being a little too locked to longitude).

How did you deal with AI objects blocking another AI's pathfinding? I'm using libtcod's built-in A*, and although it works wonderfully, the AI doesn't realize that other AI objects block its path (both the map coordinates and objects have a "blocked" property). I tried setting it up so that every turn, an object will temporarily cause the map coords to become blocked, but the program freaked out when I had it update on every AI turn - which is necessary for the AI to take into account how the other AIs moved.

Cheers! Yep, people seem to agree on that issue, and I might have enough changes by the end of this week to resolve it and make the banding a little more varied.

I had the exact same problem at first, though I'm using dijkstra. To deal with that and stop it haven't to redo AI constantly, I've written my own code to help monsters find their way around small obstacles, moving obstacles, hills that are too tall for them to climb up but aren't 'blocked' by a wall or whatever, and so on and so forth. It seems to work perfectly and has no major memory drain, and can even get people around huge battlefields without having to recalculate. If you want more explanation, shout :)

No, you are right.  I'll keep it in pms or in the programming help thread.  Sorry about that!

No problem!

Bump, because this seems like exactly the game of my dreams.

Wow, thanks! My primary drive is 'everything I've always wanted to see in a game', and it's been great to know some people are interested in the same dynamics for a game that I am.

Posting to encourage and to follow the project.

Same as above. Hoping to see URR become something grand :)

Cheers both :D

looks like the B12 forums love this kind of game, it has a fair few followers and it isn't even released in alpha!

This is no false modesty, but I'm really overwhelmed by the response. I hope the parts playable in the first alpha in a few months won't disappoint :\

To Ivefan & Ahra - yes, I sincerely hope so. Minotaurs will be intelligent creatures, but not ones that produce even villages of any kind of size.

Seems like it is.

Hopefully we'll be able to tear out their bones to raise as skeletons. Then use the remaining bags of flesh to form flesh horrors. And use the pools of blood to make blood golems. Maybe some mutant organs like acid spitting stomachs, worms made out of intestines that constrict and swallow you whole and then slowly digest you, or compound flying brains that can cast spells.

Waste not, want not.

Not sure about body part functionality yet from a non-combat perspective; then again, that's far in the future. Creatures do have different kinds of blood already, but that's the extent thus far.

If the dev wasn't going to start a thread I was going to do it. Nobody (especially Bay 12 community) should miss this game.

I totally agree. *nods seriously*

New blog post is up: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/

This mirrors my views on "quests" exactly. I never liked pre-programmed quests in RPGs, so it will be nice to see a game that has characters with real motivations try to recruit you to their cause, and the results of your actions actually affecting the world.

Damn, that was quick :). That's exactly what I'm after - hopefully this approach is pretty new and will strike a chord with people.

I like the sound of it already. How "defined" are the objectives of said quests though?

Say, if the objective was "Don't let Faction X take over Area Y", could I complete it by nuking the entire place to kingdom come?

Hopefully, eventually... yes! Kill their leader; murder them all; give them another target; burn the city to the ground; lead another army against X; and so on and so forth. Letting the AI recognize multiple emergent ways of completing objectives will be tricky, but I think I have an idea for the kind of structures I need to allow it.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2011, 06:57:48 pm »

This is an awesome work.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2011, 04:04:23 pm »

Why thank you! :)

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2011, 11:02:37 am »

Back with more questions  :D

First of all: Will you be able to climb?

And can you stand on someones shoulders in order to reach a high ledge (or just ride him :P)

And you wrote something 'bout weapons reach... Could you climb on a Titans/other large beasts back and stab his/her/hir head from there (or just ride it  :P), or can you *again* stand on someones shoulders and stab the beasts head from there, or just stand on a ledge and just say 'f*ck it' and jump 10 meters down and stab its head (or miss and fall to your death).?

And could you actually damage (or kill, maim, or just splat) someone by just falling on them?

And could you corner (or whatever it's called) someone at the edge of a VERY deep hole, yell 'Sparta!!!!', and kick him down the hole  :P  :D

Edit: Oh and i cant wait 'till it's released  :D
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2011, 05:21:47 pm »

Back with more questions  :D

First of all: Will you be able to climb?

And can you stand on someones shoulders in order to reach a high ledge (or just ride him :P)

And you wrote something 'bout weapons reach... Could you climb on a Titans/other large beasts back and stab his/her/hir head from there (or just ride it  :P), or can you *again* stand on someones shoulders and stab the beasts head from there, or just stand on a ledge and just say 'f*ck it' and jump 10 meters down and stab its head (or miss and fall to your death).?

And could you actually damage (or kill, maim, or just splat) someone by just falling on them?

And could you corner (or whatever it's called) someone at the edge of a VERY deep hole, yell 'Sparta!!!!', and kick him down the hole  :P  :D

Edit: Oh and i cant wait 'till it's released  :D

Excellent! In order:

Yep, you and all creatures with non-broken arms can climb. However, climbing is slow, and uses up a lot of stamina, but you should be able to climb cliffs, towers, etc. Success and speed are currently based on Dex, but a climbing skill will likely appear.

Haha - probably not, but riding will gain you height.

Yes, you and other average creatures can climb up large creatures. If you're on a horse, as I say, this will probably have you function as being 'taller', but climbing will be the only way to stab a Titan in the head, for instance. If a creature is below a ledge... that's an interesting idea. I'll get back to you on that one! I like the idea of being able to leap on tall creatures from above to save you climbing...

Almost certainly :)

HA, yes! There are some attacks that can knock creatures (you included, of course) back, so fighting near cliffs will be appropriately dangerous :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:01:13 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2011, 09:56:28 am »

The Opened Way started to play in my head as I read that post.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2011, 11:28:36 am »

I can empathize with that. I have the song on my MP3.  :D

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2011, 11:55:36 am »

From the "about" page of the blog

Different species and races speak different languages. You begin only able to speak the language of your species (Human, Dwarven or Elvish), but have the ability to learn other tongues. The more of a language you know, the more of that speech you are able to understand, and therefore the greater the ease with which you can trade, exchange information, and form alliances.

This reminded me the language skills from TES: Daggerfall.

Can we learn the language of demonic creatures? :D

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2011, 06:49:37 am »

I can empathize with that. I have the song on my MP3.  :D

It saddens me that I do not get the appropriateness/reference here :(

From the "about" page of the blog

Different species and races speak different languages. You begin only able to speak the language of your species (Human, Dwarven or Elvish), but have the ability to learn other tongues. The more of a language you know, the more of that speech you are able to understand, and therefore the greater the ease with which you can trade, exchange information, and form alliances.

This reminded me the language skills from TES: Daggerfall.

Can we learn the language of demonic creatures? :D

Oh yes! Fourteen languages currently on the list. But as for who'd be willing to teach you a demonic language, that's a different matter...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 221