Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 595602 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/Borges/Eco, v0.5 released!
« Reply #2040 on: May 11, 2014, 03:43:04 pm »

As always - awesome! That's a very big slum! A few observations from having worked in slums myself (admittedly not medieval ones :( ):

1) Slums tend to be wider than they are thick as they tend to expand/snake along the city limit so as to be as close as possible (although they're sometimes constrained by walls/things).
2) Slums tend to have set parameters, without many houses just laying as outlyers, this is again because they're built up trying to be as close to the city as possible and there would be little incentive to live further out.
3) They tend to have main paths as well as lots of small offshoots. These tend to be a bit random, but they'd be say three 'dots' thick in your rendering. These are still dirt kind of roads, but they're often big enough for cars (or in your case carts) to go up or down without problem.

Again, these are all modern slums and I'm sure there are variations, but most of these make sense logically I guess. People want to be nearer the city walls/limits for work/services/protection and the wider paths are required to move stuff around. Outlying buildings probably make more sense in a medieval context with farming/huts and stuff though.

Those are all very interesting. I'll make some changes based on #1, definitely, and that makes a lot of sense about outlying buildings (I'll reduce their number and maybe bring them a bit closer in as well). Also, re: large paths, that's good to know - I'll think about a good way to try and integrate that. Many thanks for this, it's really helpful! Everything you've said makes a lot of sense to me. I probably won't post a slum update this week, but I expect I will before the next release...

To admit I don't think the game has the typical city "main road" or all important city center (Modern Cities tend to have the dead center)

We do have city centres, but I'm still working on how roads within the city limits will work!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2041 on: May 14, 2014, 09:05:20 am »

I got mentioned in the Swedish print magazine of PC Gamer!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 14, 2014, 12:48:52 pm »

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2043 on: May 15, 2014, 06:49:25 am »

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats!

Thanks! Meanwhile, polar regions look so much more interesting now with ice, don't they?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 15, 2014, 08:46:31 am »

Congratulations!! I'd love to know what it says if anyone could give a rough outline?

As far as polar regions go, they do look awesome, but I'd kinda like more contrast between sea and ice. I know it might not look so pretty, but it's currently a bit hard on the eyes for me. Even just a small nudge to either the sea or the ice would help a lot in differentiating areas.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2045 on: May 15, 2014, 10:40:58 am »

Congratulations!! I'd love to know what it says if anyone could give a rough outline?

As far as polar regions go, they do look awesome, but I'd kinda like more contrast between sea and ice. I know it might not look so pretty, but it's currently a bit hard on the eyes for me. Even just a small nudge to either the sea or the ice would help a lot in differentiating areas.

Thanks! Here's a rough translation someone did for me:

"With random generators becoming more advanced the roguelike genre has made a comeback. Now there are so many that they need a gimmick to stand out. We have platform roguelikes and space roguelikes. But Ultima Ratio Regum is more of an everything roguelike.
The game not only generates the world you explore, but an entire solar
system. There's no use for it in this early alpha stage, but these planets
and moons will later help you research things. The plan is to have randomly generated history, mythology, civilizations and religion.
Right not the game isn't that grand scale, but the ambition is more epic.
In the open, ASCII-rendered world you can right now only visit the pyramids that are scattered here and there. Here you will find ancient cave systems with ASCII puzzles based on riddles. Randomly generated riddles, of course. Ultima Ratio Regum aims to create a rich world to lose yourself in."

As for ice/snow, bear in mind that's an image with everything "lit" - when you walk around, only that which is within your field of view is lit. Most of it is therefore actually a lot darker, and it doesn't look at all too bright :).

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 15, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »

Ahh thanks for that! It's definitely an everything roguelike!!

For me it's less about the colour/brightness and more about the contrast between the sea and the ice - possibly in the game it'll be clearer, but boosting the white content of the ice may help distinguish it a bit more. Just a thought from seeing the picture.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 15, 2014, 10:05:35 pm »

Congratulations on the recognition - ambitious projects and big dreams tend to capture the imagination of those that wish to see them reach fruition.

Your art assets are as always, looking impressive for the medium you use to create them.
With the way they're shaping up and the world itself is shaping up, I have to wonder how many people will one day have the guilty pleasure of simply examining everything they are able to see what it appears like and what snippets of history may be gleaned from it.

A question that has come to mind for me is, if a figure that you are associated with or one of your companions or whatever dies during your adventures, will you be able to visit their place of burial and find a headstone dedicated to them?
Some people grow attached to certain characters that they interact with in games, so being able to pay their respects to a friend or a comrade in arms would be quite a poignant thing from their perspectives.

On the flip side of that question, would you be able to deface or even plunder the grave of a rival if you were inclined to that level of disrespect?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 16, 2014, 10:36:06 am »

A question that has come to mind for me is, if a figure that you are associated with or one of your companions or whatever dies during your adventures, will you be able to visit their place of burial and find a headstone dedicated to them?
Some people grow attached to certain characters that they interact with in games, so being able to pay their respects to a friend or a comrade in arms would be quite a poignant thing from their perspectives.

On the flip side of that question, would you be able to deface or even plunder the grave of a rival if you were inclined to that level of disrespect?

These are both things I'd be very interested in, especially if they had wide ranging affects. For instance other companions getting a boost/positive thought from paying their respects, or rivals/religious factions getting more angry due to the grave digging.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2049 on: May 17, 2014, 08:11:32 am »

Ahh thanks for that! It's definitely an everything roguelike!!

For me it's less about the colour/brightness and more about the contrast between the sea and the ice - possibly in the game it'll be clearer, but boosting the white content of the ice may help distinguish it a bit more. Just a thought from seeing the picture.

Ahhhh, I see. Hmm. I think it is clearer in the game, but I'll fiddle with the colours a bit and see if I can up the contrast a little more :).

Congratulations on the recognition - ambitious projects and big dreams tend to capture the imagination of those that wish to see them reach fruition.

Your art assets are as always, looking impressive for the medium you use to create them.
With the way they're shaping up and the world itself is shaping up, I have to wonder how many people will one day have the guilty pleasure of simply examining everything they are able to see what it appears like and what snippets of history may be gleaned from it.

Thanks :). I hope a lot of people will, but I also know the world and its history is core to the future gameplay of piecing things together, exploring hidden regions, figuring out the connections between NPCs/wars/items/places/etc, and I can't wait until more of that is implemented and players can actually figure things out themselves.

Re: headstones, yes - major graveyards have a small region that starts empty, and any NPC who you see die - so an ally who dies, or an enemy - will be placed there, assuming it is logical (so obviously Civ X who hates Civ Y won't bury a Knight of X in their graveyard). So if you recruit a friend from X, they die, they should show up in X's graveyard a bit later. I'll do the code for that once NPCs are implemented (and, importantly, once you can kill 'em!). On the flip side, you will definitely be able to dig up graves. It is possible things of note will sometimes be buried in them - but as there may be 2000+ graves to a graveyard, you'll need to figure out which grave it is first (by exploring the history, the lore, talking to people, etc), make sure nobody's watching (or you can deal with/silence anyone who is), and make sure you have a shovel!

These are both things I'd be very interested in, especially if they had wide ranging affects. For instance other companions getting a boost/positive thought from paying their respects, or rivals/religious factions getting more angry due to the grave digging.

I like both of those ideas. I'll have to think about how best that kind of thing could be implemented!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2050 on: May 17, 2014, 09:30:48 am »

Although I planned to spend this week finishing off graveyards and beginning work on settlements, I found myself working on cities instead. For starters I’ve now got it generating city walls both on the exterior of the city, and between districts, and connecting these logically with roads and rivers outside the city (rivers inside the city may have bridges going over them). Exterior gates are now present which you can pass through to gain access to the district of the city they connect to. One this system was in place, I’ve started with generating the actual districts themselves, and decided to begin with the lower-class housing districts, partly because these were the most similar to slums so I could use some of what I’d learned there, and also because a smaller percentage of the buildings there are going to be special/unique, so it seemed the easiest start.

Below is a screenshot of the player wandering around a lower-class housing district, having just come through a gate from another district (the large white door below the player). You can see a number of connected buildings, each with a single locked door. I have to say, just walking around these city districts is incredibly exciting. Even though there are no NPCs wandering around yet and you can’t get into buildings, it feels very dense and very like you’re wandering around a game now, rather than a world where a game is being developed. As part of this I’m also carrying out a major overhaul of how saving and loading works – to prevent larger file sizes causing slower load times – and, in turn, of how doors and interiors work. The new system is almost so laughably simple I’m ashamed I didn’t create it a year or so ago, but there you go. This will allow interiors to be made and handled on the fly, so that these interiors don’t have to be made until you actually need them, and will create a far superior database structure for the future. It’s not exciting work, but this kind of optimizing I try to do each release goes a long way to preparing the game for the future. If I still had the data structure now I had two years ago the game would have slowed to a halt, and this big change is another step along that same path. Anyway, here’s the district as seen in-game…

… and here is a debug screenshot of how the map looked after I’d explored roughly a quarter of this one district:

I’m still working on the exact mechanics for moving between districts, but as mentioned in previous entries each district will be distinct. Some might spread over two or even three map grids, in which case you can move between them without going through a gate, but otherwise you need to find yourself a gate (on the edges in each grid) and pass through them. In later versions some may be guarded, or locked under certain conditions, and I hope to have the regions of the city you have access to partially determined by your relationship with different factions in that city.

The next picture shows a quick floodfill on all the tiles of the map that are not wall or buildings. As you can see we get some central alleys where the main roads are, and then a fairly complex web of pathways outside from them. Do note there is a difference here from the slums I showed a few weeks ago – the paths here are straighter and longer, and rather more regular, whilst the buildings are generally a little larger and there are generally two tiles of gap between buildings rather than just one. Also the map below does not show any special buildings that may spawn in lower-class housing districts – such as black markets, prisons, slave quarters (if the civilization is a slaving one), asylums, and other goodness. I’ve been composing quite a list of special buildings for each district that can integrate well into the dense world lore the game generates (and that serves as your basis for exploration and sidequests), and these are some examples of the special buildings that will appear in these districts.

Next week… I have no idea. Probably more city districts, though it’s not impossible I’ll be doing some work on settlements or finishing off graveyards instead by then (the system for connecting graves to histories is working, but needs tweaking to ensure all histories are “caught” by the system). Equally, I might be doing a lot of under-the-hood work this week to implement that new saving/loading system, which is one of those coding tasks that should be relatively simple but will probably take a fair bit of time to complete. Or something else! I’m reaching the point in the release where the number of aspects I have ongoing are spiraling outwards, which will be the case for the next month or so before I start to bring all the strands back in. See you next week!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2051 on: May 19, 2014, 07:24:00 am »

Implemented the basics for middle-class housing districts, markets and military districts. Will probably aims to finish off market districts today, or possibly start adding rare/special buildings to lower/middle-class housing...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2052 on: May 24, 2014, 02:36:45 pm »

I've been travelling again (five conferences and two other trips in three countries in a month and a half!) so I haven't enough to show off in a full blog entry this week, alas. I'll save up some more district goodness for next week when I'll show off a big chunk of graphics (for shops) and several more districts - probably markets, middle-class housing and docks, but we'll have to see!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #2053 on: May 26, 2014, 10:18:04 am »

Are you SURE about that, Google Translate?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 26, 2014, 11:19:44 am »

I dunno URR

I always said Ultima Ratio Regum was a Sandbox Bagel Sandwich
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 221