Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 179070 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
« Reply #1215 on: August 13, 2015, 04:59:16 am »

"I meant freedom more in the sense of choosing your own work days or being allowed limited time out and such. I guess you could put these under the banner of privileges or luxuries though, I dunno, I'm not here to argue semantics. Call it what you want, I just need the results.

The first assignement I had in mind was a sort of sensor suite to fill in the blanks that cameyes still leave. So, for starters, it should be capable to create images of the surroundings in pitch black and heavy smoke. Using sound is an option, though some sort of adapted radar-like system might work better. Next, being able to spot far-away objects, such as shuttles or LESHO rounds, would also be convenient. See if you can manage to get some capability of forming images through wall or other solid objects. Finally, if there's any other applications you can think of, you could add them.

Goal is for it to be carryable by an unaided normal human if possible, and for cost to be around 5-ish tokens maximum. You'll get a viewscreen to display info you can ask from Aresteve, and a few simple datapads and paper and such to work on.

Think you can manage something like this? Any further questions?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 13, 2015, 05:24:40 am »

"That shouldn't be a problem.  Give me a couple days to think it through, and I'll write up what you could build to solve those problems.

What's on offer for this?"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 13, 2015, 05:53:11 am »

"I thought we could start off with the basics, namely some decent furniture like a bed and a table and such, actual sanitation, some soap and other basic neccesities. Sounds fair?"

(Note, I dunno if pw would prefer you to work and do actions in here or in the tinker thread, though in here might be better. Also, you might have to wait till Sean has fixed his SNAFU to start working, should check with pw. For now, assume these things are placed inside his current cell, he might get a better crib later.)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 13, 2015, 06:11:02 am »

((I like the use of the term "SNAFU" for this, it's fitting. :) It really is a f*ckup, but it's very much par for the course for what we're doing in general. :P ))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 13, 2015, 06:23:50 am »

"Assuming it includes a decent bedspread, and dinnerware to go with the table, along with a chair, sure.  Including a paper novel or two would be great as well.

Is that acceptable?"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 13, 2015, 07:19:16 am »

"Certainly.

Oh, and for the record, once we are done with the preparations for the changes to your accomodations we will wait till you go to bed normally, then lightly sedate you for a little while so the workers and robots can do their thing easily, while making the transition smoothless for you and security easy for us. This will probably be the procedure for future changes like this as well."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: August 13, 2015, 07:47:50 am »

"Acknowledged."

"One last thing, who am I speaking with?"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 13, 2015, 08:40:01 am »

"Acknowledged."

"Oh my, it seems in my hurry to get things worked out I forgot to properly introduce myself. How rude of me.

My name is Miyamoto de Bergerac, general in the Armed Revolutionary Movement, at your service."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 13, 2015, 09:13:02 am »

"Acknowledged."

"Oh my, it seems in my hurry to get things worked out I forgot to properly introduce myself. How rude of me.

My name is Miyamoto de Bergerac, general in the Armed Revolutionary Movement, at your service."

"Thank you"

And with that, Leo turns the recorder off.

"In the future, will information be something I can receive as a benefit?"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 13, 2015, 10:53:34 am »

"Acknowledged."

"Thank you"

And with that, Leo turns the recorder off.

"In the future, will information be something I can receive as a benefit?"

"Perhaps, depending on what kind of information it is."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1225 on: August 13, 2015, 02:39:48 pm »

"Physical Destruction of the origin might work if it is extending from a disparate existence, but It is doubtful if you could physically separate it from anything."

>We can dump the coolant safely, but we will temporarily lose reactor functioning in several areas as well as freeze large sections of production area. It wouldn't be permanent, but it would take us some time to thaw it.

We'll say you've got two more turns to try freezing it before it gets past the point of possible effectiveness.

Anton Chernozorov

Anton ponders his options for a few seconds. "Эх. Ну ладно. Thank you for the advice Doctor, I will defer to your expertise in these matters. ARESTEVE, make sure the personnel in areas of power loss is not in danger, begin shutdown of the affected reactors, and start dumping coolant around the anomaly. If possible, prioritize the fleshpits and the bioforge in the distribution of remaining power supply, those are about the only facilities we can't temporarily shut down without losing their current production run. If the research labs will be affected, give as much time as you can for the teams to contain their experiments before cutting the power.

As a backup plan, I'm thinking we'll position what ships we can allocate to a stationary group that will fire on the source point if this containment plan fails. Gamma rays aren't perfect for firing through atmosphere, but a Grazer class should still pack enough power to atomize that chamber. Too bad about the equipment, but eh. I'll replace it.
" He allows himself a sort of a half-smile. "Important thing is, it worked. Not nearly how I wanted it to, but still."

Give the go-ahead for plan "fighting ice with ice", with as much time as can be allowed for necessary precautions and damage mitigation. Have a Grazer ship in orbit start aiming at the experiment chamber, to try and beat the heat-eater with hard radiation if the first plan fails.

>Beginning infusion. It will take a little while to tell if it worked. Standby.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 14, 2015, 11:00:33 am »

Anton waits, but a thought is gnawing on him. He addresses the Doctor again. "Hmm. Doctor, when you said it was 'most likely' a thermophage, what indicated that? Is there a characteristic to its behavior, or is it just the most likely cause?"

Increase paranoia by one point. Have one of the gauss-cannon-armed ex-UWM ships in orbit start aiming at the chamber as well. Just in case.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1227 on: August 18, 2015, 04:39:05 pm »

Anton waits, but a thought is gnawing on him. He addresses the Doctor again. "Hmm. Doctor, when you said it was 'most likely' a thermophage, what indicated that? Is there a characteristic to its behavior, or is it just the most likely cause?"

Increase paranoia by one point. Have one of the gauss-cannon-armed ex-UWM ships in orbit start aiming at the chamber as well. Just in case.
Quote from: Doc
Thermophages are common extrauniversal existences. And they are prone to attempting to leave their original confines, as they tend to drive those universes into states of heat death quite quickly. The cooling plus their commonality was enough to make a reasonable guess. Be aware that freezing it won't "kill" it, depending on its nature. It may simply alter itself somehow. I'd advise those attempting to reclaim the area should be quite careful.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 19, 2015, 09:00:48 am »

Anton Chernozorov
Quote from: Doc
Thermophages are common extrauniversal existences. And they are prone to attempting to leave their original confines, as they tend to drive those universes into states of heat death quite quickly. The cooling plus their commonality was enough to make a reasonable guess. Be aware that freezing it won't "kill" it, depending on its nature. It may simply alter itself somehow. I'd advise those attempting to reclaim the area should be quite careful.
"Alright. I hope you're right, Doctor."

Wait for the results of the cooling.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 19, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »

We can create FTL ships without space magic. They're just not as efficient and require a lot more space to accelerate. FTL was, after all, discovered before space magic. But yeah, we can buy ships from allies. You want to just buy up any FTL ship we can and basically just steal the parts related to jumping and stick them in our ships?
I guess that works, though I'd like to keep a safety screening/scrubbing, just in case.
Not quite sure what you mean by that?

I mean I wanna make sure we thoroughly screen every ship or part we buy, to prevent the UWM sabotaging us or infiltrating Hep or an ally like this. Like, say, we buy a ship, take its FTL parts, then next time it comes to Hep to pick up some guns to spread around like the responsible parents we are an eldritch techno-deamon crawls out of the engine and eats the planet.

1) We're getting close to isolating the configuration that allowed for some of the effects. From there we can go into possible uses.
Kay then. When can we expect the next update on this?

2) if you can find it, link me back to the original posts where these were gathered. If not, Give me a bit to think on it.

Here you go, these are the posts where we first found them:

Hexagonal spike, glows blue with black swirls: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106279.msg4919290#msg4919290
Blackish gray crystals: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106279.msg4894859;topicseen#msg4894859
Giant lump of spiky pollen with red glow: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106279.msg4897570;topicseen#msg4897570

((Go go gadget searching powers!))

So, can we run this now, or should I wait some more?

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84