Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2213073 times)

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9255 on: October 18, 2013, 07:27:22 pm »

Neat.

I visited Spearbreakers as an adventurer, and the game immediately crashed. I'm not sure what that says about it.

Edit: I tried again and it worked, this place is an even more confusing mess as an adventurer. Should I write something up?

Edit 2: Made it to the second floor of the fortress before (I think) LFTON one shot me with his sword. I killed Asea, Olm, and Savero. (I marked the site as a lair, so all the dwarves and loot would stay put.)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:12:40 am by Cynm »
"In case of stairs, use fire"

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #9256 on: October 19, 2013, 01:49:28 am »

@Talvi:

Welcome back! *brohug*

I found the seqiv raws on my computer, in case Splint wants vanishing hostiles for SB2. Just say that they're interdimensional conquerors or something similarly-cliche. I'll make the anti-turtling critter as a standalone mod, so that it can be quickly jimmied in if Splint wills it.

If anyone needs me for assistance, just message me; I'm busier than before, but I still have time to help out with this, I think. I want to be involved in this in whatever way I can.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: October 19, 2013, 01:58:05 am »

Neat.

I visited Spearbreakers as an adventurer, and the game immediately crashed. I'm not sure what that says about it.

Edit: I tried again and it worked, this place is an even more confusing mess as an adventurer. Should I write something up?

Edit 2: Made it to the second floor of the fortress before (I think) LFTON one shot me with his sword. I killed Asea, Olm, and Savero. (I marked the site as a lair, so all the dwarves and loot would stay put.)

Getting gutted with a sword is what you get for sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

EDIT: Forgot about the allied ones. Like I said, I'm a bit scared to actually give this a whirl, as just from what you told me when the enemy shows up to play it gets nasty very very quickly. Also I think the Seqiv are actually in the raws and vicious but not unbeatable, even with their sneakiness; I dunno if I still have it, bu a screengrab Talvieno gave me showed the outside of a bloodbath test fort, with quite a bit of their blood trailing about.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: October 19, 2013, 03:42:23 pm »

You killed me? Twerp.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: October 19, 2013, 04:47:09 pm »

Also I think the Seqiv are actually in the raws

Derp, pretty sure you actually told me this before and I forgot >>;  Can't keep this stuff straight anymore.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: October 19, 2013, 04:56:55 pm »

Ah it's fine. And who said they had to be interdimensional conquerers and not just your average space jerks or particularly nasty and advanced inland natives?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: October 19, 2013, 08:50:54 pm »

I'm not sure if the seqiv would plausibly be native to any of the worlds seen so far. They're pretty exotic.

I do agree that it'd be better for them to have a less-cliche reason to be hostile towards the other races. I just couldn't think of anything other than that on the spot.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: October 19, 2013, 09:19:51 pm »

Edit 2: Made it to the second floor of the fortress before (I think) LFTON one shot me with his sword.

No, you just keeled over on a pile of mugs. Sharp, sharp mugs.

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: October 20, 2013, 12:50:43 am »

Is there any backstory for the Seqivet already?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:26:29 am by Cynm »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: October 20, 2013, 01:09:16 am »

@Cynm:

Yes, but no. I came up with a backstory for them in the mod that they were originally to be used in, but that wouldn't work here, I barely remember it, and I'd have to dig through a massive pile of ancient PMs to find it. So it's several different kinds of moot, really.

I suppose we don't have to make it so that the entire species is hostile against humans/dwarves/elves; we just need to figure out why, specifically, the ones in SB2 are hostile. It could be that seqivet as a whole are neutral/allied towards us, but a specific faction got PO'd at us at some point and is now trying to destroy us with the rest of the species at large being uninvolved [or even trying to stop the conflict].

E: Yes, I'm aware that I am practically inviting the possibility of the seqivet getting their own corrupt megacorporation. Although, I imagine those are wearing thin by now.

EE: Also, to clarify: I, at some point while modding the seqivet, decided for no clear reason that 'seqivet' was the plural form ('seqiv' being singular) and now pluralising it any other way just looks wrong to me :V  I'll stop, since it's probably just confusing.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:15:35 am by Mr Frog »

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: October 20, 2013, 01:18:30 am »

Based on human history, I think the most likely explanation would be religious or ideological but an alien race might not think along those terms. Perhaps a cult of Seqivet objects to our messing with time, or they are enforcing some extreme version of the Prime Directive(From Star Trek). I suppose it could also be that, being an alien race, the Seqivet have such vastly different concepts of morality that friendship with dwarves is nigh impossible. It could even be that Seqivet don't recognize dwarves as beings that can be reasoned with, and as such, have no reason not to commence wholesale extermination.

I fell like I'm getting carried away again.

Edit: Changed "Seqiv" to "Seqivet" because the frog has declared it so.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:25:55 am by Cynm »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: October 20, 2013, 01:54:34 am »

I just threw the "native" aspect due to the fact that the West Everoc inlands are a strange and brutal place full of all kinds of freakish things. I was considering including a distinct human culture that's going through an expansionist/imperialist phase, though of course if they were local, the sequivet could be the ones doing so; they aren't mad at us per se, just getting in the way of their manifest destiny! Just like everyone else who happens to be in whatever direction their troops and possibly settlers are going.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: October 20, 2013, 12:12:44 pm »

I suppose it could also be that, being an alien race, the Seqivet have such vastly different concepts of morality that friendship with dwarves is nigh impossible.

This is actually a pet peeve of mine, if only because this sort of thing is nigh-on-impossible to write properly from a human perspective, and it also assumes that every member of a particular species shares the same moral compass. Based on my observations of humans, this is very much not the case.

Religion is a workable explanation, but I'd rather the religion in question be developed properly in that case beyond just 'OUR RELIGION SAYS YOU MUST DIE, THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT'. It just doesn't feel very satisfying to me for some reason to have the seqivet simply be killing peeps just because their religion says so; it feels arbitrary without a deeper justification.

Random thought: the seqiv equivalent of the Bible contains an offhand comment stating that seqivet are given dominion over all "lower creatures" (referring to livestock); some supremacist factions assume this applies to other sentient species as well (because they already think seqivet are BetterTM). They then use this as justification for a war, as the "livestock" are refusing to submit to their will and so must be broken. Most seqivet factions are horrified by this, but don't have the authourity to directly stop them without risking an intraspecies war.

I imagine the seqivet's concept of war would be a bit different from other species, owing to their sneaky nature -- they'd probably focus on sabotage, espionage and assassinations more than direct conflict, using their cloaking to get into sensitive areas and wreak havoc (not that this would happen in-game -- I don't think MISCHIEVOUS works properly for civ races). Likewise, seqiv defense would put a great deal of priority on security and surveillance, because they're used to people trying to sneak into places they shouldn't.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:21:03 pm by Mr Frog »

Cynm

• Bay Watcher
  • For the Swarm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: October 20, 2013, 01:28:46 pm »

That random thought seems like a very good explanation to me. It certainly has a basis in human history, so it wouldn't be too difficult to write.

Part 2 of that random thought like it could be interesting to write. From that explanation it seems like the one thing the Seqivet would not expect would be a bunch of dwarves with railguns kicking down their front door.

Random thought of my own: perhaps the Seqivet "bible" also has something along the lines of "thou shall not fight" which, to careful interpretation, does not prohibit killing without a fight. (Which could be why their idea of combat is different)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:30:28 pm by Cynm »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: October 20, 2013, 01:40:24 pm »

Based on how badly they appear able to smack people's shit around if they get close enough. Talvieno's test fort looked like it was hemoraging people due to the Sequivet and Scythod.

....Actually I think I'm gonna see just how much meaner the armed Sequivet and the big angry Scythod are up against a spawn warrior. They may need to be beefed up to mach these new threats in terms of physical attributes.
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 815